Bobby Burgers

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I was listening to Stauffer and he mentioned they were looking at some hot new hockey mind that no one has heard of.

He said his name was "Greg NacTavish". Sounds like a really good option

Hmmmm the last couple times we had a Mac in charge results were limited. Now we're looking into Nacs huh, this is the kind of forward movement that only a management team on the cutting edge of the business is capable of.

wokwithme

Dec 8, 2017
its a very different league from 5 years ago...10 years ago. its almost unrecognizable to me and makes me feel very old. I think you have to pass the torch of management AND SCOUTING to a new generation of professionals. people who know the nuances of the game today and can predict countermeasures and evolutions of play as 31 coaches and teams try to adapt and change on the fly.

I think we have too many people that are still in an old mindset in scouting pro and amateur..., old mindset of style, team architect etc. Also old school minded as far as dealing with UFAs and trades etc. This isnt that world anymore. For example...i dont think teams failing to make the playoffs should be so willing to give players for draft picks at the TDL. the players still have value to the players in the room etc. The player being traded doesnt deserve a chance to play in the playoffs most of the time as well so to he!! with the good will sentiment unless its a icon who truly deserves it. I dont mean dont do it...but i do mean it definitely should be less common. UFAs still have value at the draft...but nonetheless they do fill a spot on your current roster and insulate other players. i think long term its healthier to hang on to guys (which also keeps your depth guys/prospects in their proper roles where they should be). it also adds some accountability that people are going to deal with the mess they made themselves.

I dont think the league will ever be the mans league of war that it used to be. kind of a boring highlight reel league now. the hits highlights every week were common checks from 10 years ago...most wouldnt have been noticed by the hockey die hard of that time. would just be another guy finishing a check and closing his gap.

we wont be going back to that kind of league unless some rival league comes up and has players sign waivers to cover their back sides. everything is bubble wrapped now.

Reactions: harpoon
Oct 15, 2008
its a very different league from 5 years ago...10 years ago. its almost unrecognizable to me and makes me feel very old. I think you have to pass the torch of management AND SCOUTING to a new generation of professionals. people who know the nuances of the game today and can predict countermeasures and evolutions of play as 31 coaches and teams try to adapt and change on the fly.

I think we have too many people that are still in an old mindset in scouting pro and amateur..., old mindset of style, team architect etc. Also old school minded as far as dealing with UFAs and trades etc. This isnt that world anymore. For example...i dont think teams failing to make the playoffs should be so willing to give players for draft picks at the TDL. the players still have value to the players in the room etc. The player being traded doesnt deserve a chance to play in the playoffs most of the time as well so to he!! with the good will sentiment unless its a icon who truly deserves it. I dont mean dont do it...but i do mean it definitely should be less common. UFAs still have value at the draft...but nonetheless they do fill a spot on your current roster and insulate other players. i think long term its healthier to hang on to guys (which also keeps your depth guys/prospects in their proper roles where they should be). it also adds some accountability that people are going to deal with the mess they made themselves.

I dont think the league will ever be the mans league of war that it used to be. kind of a boring highlight reel league now. the hits highlights every week were common checks from 10 years ago...most wouldnt have been noticed by the hockey die hard of that time. would just be another guy finishing a check and closing his gap.

we wont be going back to that kind of league unless some rival league comes up and has players sign waivers to cover their back sides. everything is bubble wrapped now.
Ya guys like Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz are dinosaurs. How could they ever turn around a downtrodden franchise like the Oilers?

Reactions: Messrules11

wokwithme

Dec 8, 2017
Ya guys like Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz are dinosaurs. How could they ever turn around a downtrodden franchise like the Oilers?
i should have said something to the account of... unless they are HHOF in management and coaching roles. I didnt think people would figure the oilers had a shot at anyone who actually is successful currently in the NHL. They dont. If people think this... they might as well join an asylum.

Oilers need to find new blood in my opinion. they wont have a shot at the elites. I think Seattle is a huge strain on the Oilers trying to get their GM too. never mind the mess in Edmonton or that Edmonton is a mess... there is a gem of opportunity over waiting in seattle. a clean slate.

Oilers need to get creative and get off the reserve IMHO.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the obvious choice for poho for a team with a brain would be Brian Burke. I don't care how much people on here hate him. Obviously it would never happen in 1 million years but I'd love it if he was hired and he promptly cleaned house.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Well the obvious choice for poho for a team with a brain would be Brian Burke. I don't care how much people on here hate him. Obviously it would never happen in 1 million years but I'd love it if he was hired and he promptly cleaned house.

I'd be up for that for sure. He has shown the ability to hire good people under himself, which we desperately need right now.

Doesn't it seem like Burke is loving TV life though? He's on the track to replacing Don on HNIC.

Oct 15, 2008
i should have said something to the account of... unless they are HHOF in management and coaching roles. I didnt think people would figure the oilers had a shot at anyone who actually is successful currently in the NHL. They dont. If people think this... they might as well join an asylum.

Oilers need to find new blood in my opinion. they wont have a shot at the elites. I think Seattle is a huge strain on the Oilers trying to get their GM too. never mind the mess in Edmonton or that Edmonton is a mess... there is a gem of opportunity over waiting in seattle. a clean slate.

Well Lou was dumped for a ‘young gun’. Nobody would be wanting him here if they felt ‘young and current’ were the way to go. I’d settle for good, but alas, none of that matters with Daryl Cats and the rest of the turds in the litter box calling the shots.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Edm has a new arena and Drai and Conner.

There will be some candidates who want to take on a brand new position in Seattle, just as there will be candidates who want to clean this up and start w/ a leg up

Fans have a way of spinning everything into the worst case scenario

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well Lou was dumped for a ‘young gun’. Nobody would be wanting him here if they felt ‘young and current’ were the way to go. I’d settle for good, but alas, none of that matters with Daryl Cats and the rest of the turds in the litter box calling the shots.

Bob Nick is calling the shots. It's right there in his interviews. He is full blown admitted his wrongs and saying he is trying to make it right

Katz will have zero to do w/ hiring the new GM, unless the $ is too high

Oct 15, 2008
Edm has a new arena and Drai and Conner.

There will be some candidates who want to take on a brand new position in Seattle, just as there will be candidates who want to clean this up and start w/ a leg up

Fans have a way of spinning everything into the worst case scenario

This team has made the playoffs one time in the last thirteen years. The only ones spinning anything here are you and shameless shills like Booby.

Oct 15, 2008
Bob Nick is calling the shots. It's right there in his interviews. He is full blown admitted his wrongs and saying he is trying to make it right

Katz will have zero to do w/ hiring the new GM, unless the $ is too high
That’s why Daryl Cats is calling him during the middle of media interviews. Nobody is buying Burger Boy’s special sauce, it went rancid a long time ago.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Horcoff has a college degree. Mathematics. I think he checks the analytics box just like that.
Horcoff would fit right in with that crew. He can BS with the best of them. Knows how to avoid accountability and has no problem drawing a big salary for doing nothing. He’s the definition of Oilers culture today.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think he might be finished with hockey management. He was on Primetime Sports a couple weeks ago saying one of the reasons he got out when he did was because he can’t relate to millennial players anymore and doesn’t like dealing with them. Unlike some others, he might be smart enough to know when the games has passed him by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad