Bobby Burgers

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'd be up for that for sure. He has shown the ability to hire good people under himself, which we desperately need right now.

Doesn't it seem like Burke is loving TV life though? He's on the track to replacing Don on HNIC.

The only reason I’d be okay with Burke is because the OBC would be too afraid to tell him what to do.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
That’s why Daryl Cats is calling him during the middle of media interviews. Nobody is buying Burger Boy’s special sauce, it went rancid a long time ago.

I said I'd never reveal it but I am jus gooned on homemade rye so here's the recipe for Bob's Special Sauce:
  • 99 Parts Mayonnaise (in honour of Gretzky)
  • 11 Parts Sriracha (in honour of Messier)
I make it at home but found an even better special sauce if you substitute the mayo with Ranch.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The only reason I’d be okay with Burke is because the OBC would be too afraid to tell him what to do.

The potential for Lowe to come crash a Burke POHO and underlings meeting and offer up his opinions? Sign me up!

Reactions: MikeGrier99

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Darryl Cats call was staged.

Call Nicholson if a management culture question comes up? Definitely could see that :). Helped him completely avoid the question and turn it into blubbering about Hendricks’ leadership.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Call Nicholson if a management culture question comes up? Definitely could see that :). Helped him completely avoid the question and turn it into blubbering about Hendricks’ leadership.

And to suggest Katz is "hands-on"

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This team has made the playoffs one time in the last thirteen years. The only ones spinning anything here are you and shameless shills like Booby.

I have a serious observation.

bobbythebrain sure is one suspicious poster. He seems miles away from everyone elses take.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Burke would be another terrible thing to happen to this sad sack organization. Burke is all about size character and board work type hockey. Even more so then Chiagoof. When you have a nuclear weapon like 97 and a scud missile in Draisaitl, why the f*** would you try to load then up on a mack track ? You need an f16. Team needs to be built to McDavid and Drasaitls strengths.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Burke would be another terrible thing to happen to this sad sack organization. Burke is all about size character and board work type hockey. Even more so then Chiagoof. When you have a nuclear weapon like 97 and a scud missile in Draisaitl, why the **** would you try to load then up on a mack track ? You need an f16. Team needs to be built to McDavid and Drasaitls strengths.

The last team he was heavily involved with is 2nd overall in the league and has lots of skilled players and kicks this teams ass for results. Just look a few hours down south.

Reactions: McDrai

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The last team he was heavily involved with is 2nd overall in the league and has lots of skilled players and kicks this teams ass for results. Just look a few hours down south.

Eh, his ability to identify decent goaltending leaves a lot to be desired. He's always been stubborn about it too when his chosen goalie(s) under perform.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Bob Nick is calling the shots. It's right there in his interviews. He is full blown admitted his wrongs and saying he is trying to make it right

Katz will have zero to do w/ hiring the new GM, unless the $ is too high
Yes but he’s only apologized for his stup[idity to date. There is still sooooo much off season to withstand yet. Hang on peeps. There may be/is more stupidity yet to come ;)

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Funny how people always point to the Coyotes to show analytics doesn't work, but ignore success stories like the Leafs and Tampa. Remember the blog Irreverent Oilers Fans that helped bring analytics into the mainstream? The dude who created that has a Cup ring from the Capitals.
Here's the problem with this kind of an argument: how much of the success of the Leafs, Lightning and Capitals is attributable to analytics and how much of it is attributable to structural items that were in place or would have naturally evolved in the absence of analytics? Hell, the Sharks have purportedly been at the forefront of analytics for years now; it [somewhat] arguably has helped them at the draft table, but they're still waiting on that first Cup to come to town.

No one knows, which is why it's easy [and lazy] to attribute successes to analytics and failures to other stuff. The Blackhawks were loaded with talent, but purportedly got "over the top" with analytics. Really, was that the missing piece? Or was it the fact that they had a massive wad of talent up and down that roster and Quenneville stopped outcoaching himself in the postseason? We don't know, and we probably won't ever know - but the Blackhawks won 3 Cups, and they had won 0 before they started using analytics, so ... analytics helped us win 3 Cups!

And as pointed out elsewhere, analytics are not supposed to be the be-all, end-all answer to everything. They're supposed to help you identify trends or anomalies to consider ... but they're also supposed to be put into context with reality. Too many people [and teams] want to do the former as a rote application, especially based off of limited data that is treated as fully credible when in reality it probably barely scratches the surface of usefulness. [See: Dellow and his time in Edmonton and how purportedly roster and game decisions were made based off of well teh analytics says _____, it can't possibly be wrong!] Even worse, too many people [and teams] never monitor the results to see if things are changing - and if so, why. It's just analytics said this, and we're desperate for improvement, so why the hell not?

Don't get me wrong, as someone who did some of this stuff a while back I get the appeal of analytics. I also understand its limitations and can tell you where the analytics movement should be focused but isn't, and probably won't be for at least another 7-10 years because no one is even thinking about certain things.[Major spoiler: anyone ever discuss efficiency in terms of shots, puck possession, faceoff wins, scoring chances, etc.? No? There's all kinds of value there waiting to be unlocked - far more than Corsi/Fenwick/PDO/zone starts/whatever the current flavor of the day is in the analytics world.] But I would never claim that analytics gets a team from "OK" to "great" by itself, or even in large part. There's far more items typically going on when a team is bad that make it better than simply the implementation of analytics.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah, Brian Burke was forsure responsible for all the skill. For instance, in 2011 when Brian Burke was running the Maple Leafs, he actually was able to infulraite the Flames organization and have them draft their future franchise player, Johhny Gaudreau

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yeah, Brian Burke was forsure responsible for all the skill. For instance, in 2011 when Brian Burke was running the Maple Leafs, he actually was able to infulraite the Flames organization and have them draft their future franchise player, Johhny Gaudreau

He brought in the GM who drafted Tzachuck, was there when they got monahan i believe, they did not make brilliant trades like the reinhart deal.

The GM he brought in has them 2nd overall in the league, now take a look at the oilers.

Burke is not perfect at all.
Burke is 1,000 times better than anything this team has had in the front office for 15 years.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Here's the problem with this kind of an argument: how much of the success of the Leafs, Lightning and Capitals is attributable to analytics and how much of it is attributable to structural items that were in place or would have naturally evolved in the absence of analytics? Hell, the Sharks have purportedly been at the forefront of analytics for years now; it [somewhat] arguably has helped them at the draft table, but they're still waiting on that first Cup to come to town.

No one knows, which is why it's easy [and lazy] to attribute successes to analytics and failures to other stuff. The Blackhawks were loaded with talent, but purportedly got "over the top" with analytics. Really, was that the missing piece? Or was it the fact that they had a massive wad of talent up and down that roster and Quenneville stopped outcoaching himself in the postseason? We don't know, and we probably won't ever know - but the Blackhawks won 3 Cups, and they had won 0 before they started using analytics, so ... analytics helped us win 3 Cups!

And as pointed out elsewhere, analytics are not supposed to be the be-all, end-all answer to everything. They're supposed to help you identify trends or anomalies to consider ... but they're also supposed to be put into context with reality. Too many people [and teams] want to do the former as a rote application, especially based off of limited data that is treated as fully credible when in reality it probably barely scratches the surface of usefulness. [See: Dellow and his time in Edmonton and how purportedly roster and game decisions were made based off of well teh analytics says _____, it can't possibly be wrong!] Even worse, too many people [and teams] never monitor the results to see if things are changing - and if so, why. It's just analytics said this, and we're desperate for improvement, so why the hell not?

Don't get me wrong, as someone who did some of this stuff a while back I get the appeal of analytics. I also understand its limitations and can tell you where the analytics movement should be focused but isn't, and probably won't be for at least another 7-10 years because no one is even thinking about certain things.[Major spoiler: anyone ever discuss efficiency in terms of shots, puck possession, faceoff wins, scoring chances, etc.? No? There's all kinds of value there waiting to be unlocked - far more than Corsi/Fenwick/PDO/zone starts/whatever the current flavor of the day is in the analytics world.] But I would never claim that analytics gets a team from "OK" to "great" by itself, or even in large part. There's far more items typically going on when a team is bad that make it better than simply the implementation of analytics.

Where are the footnotes for these references?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One of the biggest issues that i see with Katz is that he is willing to spend to the salary cap and believes that this is what leads to having a competitive team. It should if you have competent management, which we clearly haven’t had in many years.

Unfortunately Katz appears really cheap when it comes to spending on the things that will increase the likelihood of the organization being successful. We have a microscopic pro scouting department, we don’t even have an analytics team, we seem understaffed in player development roles (working with prospects in developing training and nutrition as e.g.), i sense we have a smaller than average amateur scouting department (I have no proof of this just a gut feel), and I never hear about us focusing on R&D (optimizing sleep, mental training, vision training, etc).

If revenue declines through the loss of season tickets my worry is that Katz will further reduce roles that are pivotal to developing a strong organization which will put us further behind the rest of the league. The areas I hi-lighted above are where he can spend unlimited money to increase the likelihood of sucess if he was truly interested in winning and not just making a buck.

Proof is in the pudding, I guess.

I don't agree here. Theres certainly been no reluctance to pay as far as the org goes and all of McLellan, Nicholson, etc have been highly paid. The org is also very top heavy and always has been with more hangers on than anything collecting a pay cheque. Just that every doofus that shows up at this door wants to spend as much time in the premium box red wine suite and they don't want something like scouring the Earth scouting, something like work, interrupting the fun.

I think the scouting department is typically the short straw here. We have a bunch of jetsetters here that don't want to ride some bus following prospects and junior teams. Its not a perk enough endeavor for them. I mean can you just imagine how much was required to get MacTavish off his ass and go out and do something? Can you envision the team getting any effort out of Lowe?

That even Barry Fraser, legendary Oilers scout, found ways to be in Cancun sitting on beaches "scouting" during hockey season instead of out watching games tells you a lot about how this org has always been. Fraser hit the gold mine early, and clearly had some acumen for picking out talent, but hardwork and wanting to roll up the elbows? We got about 3 hardworking years from the best scout we ever had.

This is a lazy entitled org. Its not really Katz fault either, he inherited the country club. It was very well established entitlement long before Katz. His only fault is that he likes these OBC guys still.

Reactions: rboomercat90

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
That even Barry Fraser, legendary Oilers scout, found ways to be in Cancun sitting on beaches "scouting" during hockey season instead of out watching games tells you a lot about how this org has always been.

Best line I ever heard about that was "our head scout lives in Mexico, how the hell did we miss out on Scott Gomez?" :laugh:

(I know Gomez is from Alaska, it's a joke)

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Even if Nicholson is a low-key genius and manages to identify the executive personnel that we need to take us to the promised land; wouldn't the person/people be smart enough to recognize that Nicholson is a stooge and the situation in the OBC-Nicholson-Katz triangle is toxic and untenable? So best case scenario, we're into some sort of paradox that will prevent true progress from being made.

All this begs the question, what is going through Nicholson's head these days? Does he really think he's the right man for the job? Is he just happy to collect a paycheque for a bit longer? Is he stressed about being in this position?

Why are none of the media able to snag an interview with MacT, Howson, Green, Gretzky, Scott, Chiarelli or any of the other 'wizards' behind the curtain to attempt to decipher the truth of the situation? Has the organization suddenly developed tight communications controls, loose lips sink ships and all that? Seems there have always been leaks and stray comments in the past to give us an idea what is happening, but there are a ton of high-level execs who have been dead silent throughout this entire season. I'm sure Chiarelli has a clause that says if he speaks about the trashfire they'll cancel the rest of his illustrious contract, but is there no way to tap into the other FOLK? C'mon media, don't let hockey-Trump win this battle.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
I don't agree here. Theres certainly been no reluctance to pay as far as the org goes and all of McLellan, Nicholson, etc have been highly paid. The org is also very top heavy and always has been with more hangers on than anything collecting a pay cheque. Just that every doofus that shows up at this door wants to spend as much time in the premium box red wine suite and they don't want something like scouring the Earth scouting, something like work, interrupting the fun.

I think the scouting department is typically the short straw here. We have a bunch of jetsetters here that don't want to ride some bus following prospects and junior teams. Its not a perk enough endeavor for them. I mean can you just imagine how much was required to get MacTavish off his ass and go out and do something? Can you envision the team getting any effort out of Lowe?

That even Barry Fraser, legendary Oilers scout, found ways to be in Cancun sitting on beaches "scouting" during hockey season instead of out watching games tells you a lot about how this org has always been. Fraser hit the gold mine early, and clearly had some acumen for picking out talent, but hardwork and wanting to roll up the elbows? We got about 3 hardworking years from the best scout we ever had.

This is a lazy entitled org. Its not really Katz fault either, he inherited the country club. It was very well established entitlement long before Katz. His only fault is that he likes these OBC guys still.
I think we have similar views on this. I agree that Katz spends freely on coaches and players. However, we both agree that the important infrastructure of the organization has been critically starved for decades. Katz’s lack of spending on scouts, analytics, player development etc. has neutered any ability of our coaches to maximize their skills.

Spending on a bloated organization full of friends and sycophants seems to have acted as a tourniquet for funding important personnel. As many have suggested, until the institutional rot is cut out there will be no change in results. Now for the hard part, which one of the Katz gravy train is going to suggest that they all be fired?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad