Bobby Burgers

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There’s a high likelihood that this has hurt us already in the eyes of players and agents.

But even if it hasn’t, how much are we willing to risk? It’s a ticking time bomb with Nicholson in charge. What’s the next major misstep going to be? And how much will it hurt us?

You don’t keep a problem employee on if there’s no reasonable prospect of improvement or success.
Dallas owners straight up blamed his best 2 players publically, it's not going to hurt them much.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
lol, when Gregor asked him about what culture really means, Bob just totally ignored him and started babbling about generic hockey stuff and talking to Strudwick instead. Nice one Bob.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
It occurs to me he could have said what he said but prefaced it with

"Toby is like a number of players on our squad. The water here has prevented them from.achieving the seasons we projected for them at the time of their signings ... Recognizing my roll in the failure I have not spared not one of darryls dollars and have contracted a team of sherpa's to bring mountain water to our boys one thimble full at a time. Diatribe If it wasn't for the water toby woulda scored on those break aways "

Looking at bobs comments the same could be said of the entire supporting cast though. Meaningful timely contributions by 2 of the them wouldn't make them a good team but a measurably better one .

The oilers front office is good comedy though, we get little on ice entertainment so this is at least worth the price of admission being a fan of this team extracts from our souls. Anger is futile, you just gotta laugh.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I love how Nicholson said it was a mistake not doing an interview process when hiring Chiarelli

does anyone actually believe the Oilers would have changed management had Chia not been available?

the only reason MacT was "downgraded" to assistant GM was due to the availability of Chiarelli...not because Nicholson believed he was doing a bad job
I think the McD card forced the selection of someone else. The oilers needed a facade of legitimacy in that moment. I said at the time being the owner to score McD was a huge feather in Darryl s cap. Being the owner to screw up a generational talent holds a fame all its own. The organization needed to signal change ( not as real now as they seemed at the time ) Little d must be losing his mind as he motors headlong into column b . He was on the right path when the rumors where he wanted every one fired last season . Oh what could have been.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
lol, when Gregor asked him about what culture really means, Bob just totally ignored him and started babbling about generic hockey stuff and talking to Strudwick instead. Nice one Bob.

lol because the only way to answer that honestly would be to say a losing culture where upper management stick together and do everything they can to not get fired.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
From everything that has transpired throughout the last few months it is now very obvious that Bob simply hired Chia and Todd. Then he went on a bender.

There was no forensic audit or search for any candidates. He's probably done no more than a few hours of work over his tenure here.

Good times.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From everything that has transpired throughout the last few months it is now very obvious that Bob simply hired Chia and Todd. Then he went on a bender.

There was no forensic audit or search for any candidates. He's probably done no more than a few hours of work over his tenure here.

Good times.

The danger is now he provides too much oversight and we die from paralysis caused by analysis.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
The danger is now he provides too much oversight and we die from paralysis caused by analysis.
I’m really worried that we take too long to hire a GM and we lose our opportunity to make trades around the draft and be prepared for free agency. Gretzky can handle the draft just fine, but is he going to be allowed, or will he feel comfortable enough, to make trades as interim GM? If we don’t hire somebody until just before the draft they won’t have had enough time to evaluate the team and to put together well thought out trades. I fear this could lead next year to be more challenging than it would otherwise be.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I’m really worried that we take too long to hire a GM

One of the dumbest people in the dumbest organization in hockey is going to make a crucial and difficut decision. The odds this management group turns this team around are lower than our playoff odds right now. I would be worried, all signs are pointing to the Oilers messing this up yet again. There are very few competent people in the oilers organization.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
One of the dumbest people in the dumbest organization in hockey is going to make a crucial and difficut decision. The odds this management group turns this team around are lower than our playoff odds right now. I would be worried, all signs are pointing to the Oilers messing this up yet again. There are very few competent people in the oilers organization.
I wish I could disagree, but I can’t. I’m holding out hope that a new external GM can somehow get the train on the tracks again. The Browns were a joke for 20 years and last year got a new GM and now look like legit contenders. Easier in NFL than NHL, but I hold out hope that the GM can lay the early foundation this year and then make real progress in year two. I just want to avoid another debacle like the last two have been.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Disgusting how media people on twitter are bashing fans for being upset over this.

How is this forgivable to anyone, especially considering everything else this org has done the last decade or more.

The man in charge of hockey operations, finding a new gm, and basically setting the franchise up for the future, tried to save face by blaming a bottom 6 player for us not making the playoffs.

Like.. what if you were a shareholder in a company meeting, and the ceo went and blamed the lack of revenue that year on the janitors?

This organization is not like other orgs. We don't have 1 off mishaps like Dallas calling out it's players, we have shit that puts us in the media for being a joke incredibly regularly, so why do the media of all people think they deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Just more disgusted with the entire situation by the day.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
The Oilers are taking a page out of the Trump play book where they can just spew whatever crap they want all day without actually improving anything. This organization spews bullshit like old faithful, they have been for years, glad its finally starting to catch up to them.

Its so embarrassing hearing Bobby burgers try to explain away the worst results in Nhl history and try and convince us the clowns that got those results still deserve to be around. I feel so insulted being a fan of this organization

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Im amazed Tychkowski is defending the situation. He usually rips them pretty good.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
It really bothers me every time I hear him talk about how many people in other organizations he’s asked for advice. It’s become quite clear that Nicholson still thinks he can operate like he did at Hockey Canada. In his old job anyone involved in the NHL who was Canadian was a resource for him to tap. He still thinks this is the case, that his job is getting smart people in other hockey organizations to tell him what to do. The difference is that they are his competition now and he has no clue that that’s a problem.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I'm listening to the Nicholson interview on the Gregor show for the first time, and partway through his answer on "culture", Nicholson's phone starts to ring and you can distinctly hear Siri say "Call from Darryl Katz". Did anyone else catch this? If so, that's the second time this week (Stauffer being the first) that Darryl has called someone in the middle of an interview. It sounds like the talking points are coming right from the top.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Im amazed Tychkowski is defending the situation. He usually rips them pretty good.

Got a link? I usually follow him but hockey twitter is hit and miss down here on vacation. I like his takes on things, humorous and a bit sceptical but usually a pretty fair take of what Joe Fan thinks.

I am in Show Me State with him now. He has owned up to messing up the Chiarelli hire, not providing sufficient oversight to the hockey ops department, and his apology to Reider seems honest. Lets see what he does now because there is zero change he gets replaced by Katz.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm listening to the Nicholson interview on the Gregor show for the first time, and partway through his answer on "culture", Nicholson's phone starts to ring and you can distinctly hear Siri say "Call from Darryl Katz". Did anyone else catch this? If so, that's the second time this week (Stauffer being the first) that Darryl has called someone in the middle of an interview. It sounds like the talking points are coming right from the top.

Discussed at length here

Bobby Burgers Interview Rishaug/TSN 1260

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad