TSN: Bob McKenzie on Insider Trading: Leafs have preliminary contract talks with Jake Muzzin

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
4 years is likely where it will end up i hope. To me 6M is too high for 4 years. 5M feels right. 3 years at 6M i could see. That last 4th year may look a lot like Marleau's deal where we are screwed. But my biggest fear is we give him the 5th year and then get stuck with a bad contract. GM's tend to not care because it becomes the next guys issue. At 5 years I think we have to let him go to UFA. I hate to do it but we can't keep getting rooked by everyone for a year or two of pay me for nothing.

The way I see things, the biggest obstacle to moving older guys is how much real money is owed over thr last part of the deal. If the Leafs structure things so 50-70% of his money is paid in thr first couple years i wont have too many worries about dumping him later on if his physicality falls off.

Id agree that a preferible aav would be 5ish mil (under 6 at least)

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
4 years is likely where it will end up i hope. To me 6M is too high for 4 years. 5M feels right. 3 years at 6M i could see. That last 4th year may look a lot like Marleau's deal where we are screwed. But my biggest fear is we give him the 5th year and then get stuck with a bad contract. GM's tend to not care because it becomes the next guys issue. At 5 years I think we have to let him go to UFA. I hate to do it but we can't keep getting rooked by everyone for a year or two of pay me for nothing.

Marleau was a 35+ deal. Muzzin won't be. I agree that shorter term is key though.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
And we want him to stay.

Now make it work!

If Muzzin wants to stay in Toronto he will make the next contract work with Toronto. I can see a slight increase to his current deal. Something like 4,5 a season.

I can also see them making the average something like 4.25 a season with a lot of it being paid upfront.

4 year deal - year 1 7.5m, year 2 6.5, year 3 750K, year 4 750K

This would make him attractive in trade 3 year of contract for a team wanting to get to floor of cap and paying a minimum for a good player.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Muzzin wants to stay in Toronto he will make the next contract work with Toronto. I can see a slight increase to his current deal. Something like 4,5 a season.

I can also see them making the average something like 4.25 a season with a lot of it being paid upfront.

This would make him attractive in trade 3 year of contract for a team wanting to get to floor of cap and paying a minimum for a good player.
Now there is a great idear. I really like it. I hope it gets done somehow along those lines. The Muzzins want to stay here in Etobicoke condo and Woodstock house. No sh*t. This Dregs guy I mean he says stuff that is obvious and tries to get likes. How does he keep his job? Muzz and his family have been saying same thing since the trade. But the real issue is the AAV and term. But of course he does not mention the issues that count. I want to keep Muzzy too but let's hope it is not Leafs caving and Muzz ends up with a 5 year deal. 5M for 5 years is not a good deal for us. But I like the 7.5M next year 6.5M following and 2 years with low $$$ because at some point in there father time will catch up and slow defensive minded guys who can't keep up are CAP penalties. I would stop at 4 years. If someone wants to take on a massive risk at 5 year thren go for it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

cant have that big of a contract swing.
I think it’s the top year can only be double the lowest.

like 1 year 8 mill last year 4.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
cant have that big of a contract swing.
I think it’s the top year can only be double the lowest.

like 1 year 8 mill last year 4.

Yep, lowest has to be 50% or more of thr highest and year-to-year change can only be 35%.

So:

Would give us an AVG of 4m.
Add .25 to each to get up to 4.25m (or .5 to get to 4.5)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
..... maybe if it were Friedman. Dreger is about as reliable as a magic eightball.
It's also easy for Dreger to say Muzzin wants to remain in Toronto and that's not exactly breaking news.

Maybe in Dreger's mind he's trying to make up for all the Marner contract talk from last summer and how he was the only insider pushing him getting the threat of an offer sheet, when he says how Muzzin wants to re-sign.

So I guess it's true that when Dave Nonis was the Leafs GM it's how Dreger got a lot of Leafs insider information since they are both second cousins and now he's lost that type access.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I really don't think we need to worry about Barrie. Pietrangelo, Krug, Vatanen, Brodie, Shattenkirk, and Gustafsson coming up UFA. The market for D is not going to be like has been in the past few seasons. And there is a healthy mix of right and left shots in there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Things looking optimistic

Nah. He's still a solid #3-4D, just no where near the "best /most underrated defensive d in the game".

With the right contract he'd be the perfect complement to a Muzzin re-signing.

The biggest problem for him is health.

Hed be great as a cheap reclamation project on a one year deal. But notnsure hed be interested in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad