TSN: Bob McKenzie on Insider Trading: Leafs have preliminary contract talks with Jake Muzzin

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
That contract can turn awfully bad awfully quick. Also vastly reduces our chances of getting Pietrangelo.

Reactions: phillipmike

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They would of done that by now if it made the team better. He’s getting older and slower. Moving to the right side makes no sense

They could potentially move Dermott to RD. He is still young enough and has had some exposure there before. However to expect he would be able to be even a #4 as a RD would be a stretch, and we will already be covered in our bottom 4 between Liljegren and Holl, so it may make more sense just to trade him for a proper RD at that point.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
He’s going to be on the wrong side of 30 with younger talent coming up. I get he adds an element of size but he doesn’t use it enough and often looks slow. If he signs a reasonable deal I can see dermott and a winger possibly Johnson moved part of a package for a young rhd with term.

3-4yrs @ 4-4.5M

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
That contract can turn awfully bad awfully quick. Also vastly reduces our chances of getting Pietrangelo.

You make it sound like the Leafs are the frontrunners to get him or something lol. Seems like unless he really dislikes St. Louis that he would stay there where he just won a cup with the Blues.

Also even though it would be nice to have Pietro if he's looking for a long term, big contract do people think that would actually be good for the Leafs and that he can be effective for the life of his contract?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Is liljigren Holl Dermott good enough for the right side?

Reilly Dermott
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljigren

Not bad but it's hard to figure out the high end option on the right side. Hopefully Lil keeps progressing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I wanna see more of the Muzzin-Holl pairing. That's a pairing we can bury with defensive zone starts and let the other guys on the blueline take the better minutes.

I'm all for re-signing Muzzin if it turns out Muzzin-Holl is a legit shutdown pair.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Muzz has pulled himself ahead of Barrie in terms of priority of who we should re-sign. Not by a lot mind you, but enough. Mostly due to Barrie being not as advertised or as effective as his time with Colorado.

Muzzin has at least seemed to find a true partner in Holl before he went down and that pairing was good. Barrie has been unable to find that.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad