TSN: Bob McKenzie on Insider Trading: Leafs have preliminary contract talks with Jake Muzzin

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Muzzin signs a team friendly deal to stay in Toronto long term. I can see a 4 year deal in the 4 million a season range. On the open market he can get 3 years at about 5-6 million. He stays in Toronto for the same amount of money for more years. Retires in Toronto.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Muzzin signs a team friendly deal to stay in Toronto long term. I can see a 4 year deal in the 4 million a season range. On the open market he can get 3 years at about 5-6 million. He stays in Toronto for the same amount of money for more years. Retires in Toronto.
Why not just give him 5.5to6M for 3 years ... and front load it to make it more attractive for him to get a deal done? Then it is a win win right? But this would be a dream right? I hope we don't get taken to the cleaners on term here.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Leafs gave up 1st 2019 + 2nd rounders (Grundstrom + Durzi) and 1st in 2020/21 all banking on this season.

If they let Muzzin walk as UFA that is the equivalent of all that above lost ..

Because of the investment both direct and indirect its almost imperative that Leafs retain Muzz simply to show long term ROI (return on investment). IMO
That's clearly incorrect the Muzzin trade wasn't all banking on this season. He was acquired for 2 playoff runs just like Dubas is trying to get another Dman with term so that a trade isn't "all banking on this season"

Take your ROI to the Columbus board. It doesn't get more banking on one season than that for no return.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That's clearly incorrect the Muzzin trade wasn't all banking on this season. He was acquired for 2 playoff runs just like Dubas is trying to get another Dman with term so that a trade isn't "all banking on this season"

Take your ROI to the Columbus board. It doesn't get more banking on one season than that for no return.

Grundstrom is worse than Engvall.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

If you're job offers you a 33% paycut to stay do you take it or you go work where you're paid what you're worth?

Mar 26, 2010
Hopefully this gets done asap. Muzzin is the one UFA D man the Leafs should be keeping. The other 2 can go.

I believe with new Coach keefe, the players are now enjoying playing in Toronto.

Reactions: Smif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes but but but ... lets see what Dubie can do on term and AAV ... we don't want a 2-3 year boat anchor either. This is a tough one. I hope it is not an overpay on term.

I'd like to see Leafs resign Muzz for a team friendly cap deal.

He is a useful Dman and unique in that he isn't like the others and bring new and different dimensions to the Leafs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If you're job offers you a 33% paycut to stay do you take it or you go work where you're paid what you're worth?

It depends on the person and where you are in life.

Are you 18 with no family? Well going out to the Oil sands and making 100K sounds pretty damn good to you.

Are in your 30's, have a wife and a young kid., and you value being around your family? Well, suddenly the trade off of making 65K but getting to go home to your kid regularly is a lot more appealing.

Money isn't everything to everyone, especially if, using this metaphor, you've been making 100k+ for over a decade and have a nice cushion of savings in the bank.

Muzzin has mentioned before how having his family around (grew up in the GTA) makes a big difference to him, and how he doesn't want to move anymore. Sometimes lifestyle is worth more than salary.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I love Muzz, and I hope we can resign him for a decent price, but there are so many good D men coming up as UFAs that I don't really worry about it.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I think people are being a bit optimistic. My guess would be 5x$5m or 4x$6m and there's really nothing wrong with those. Muzzin isn't taking 3 years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think people are being a bit optimistic. My guess would be 5x$5m or 4x$6m and there's really nothing wrong with those. Muzzin isn't taking 3 years.
I think you may not feel very good about the later years. But you may be right who knows. GM's seem not to care about the later years because reality is this team is in the WIN now grouping of teams. And if we don't then GM's get removed. So what does a GM care about year 4? Reality he doesn't. If he wins Cup then no one really cares as he gets his long term deal. If he doesn't win Cup then he is fired.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think you may not feel very good about the later years. But you may be right who knows. GM's seem not to care about the later years because reality is this team is in the WIN now grouping of teams. And if we don't then GM's get removed. So what does a GM care about year 4? Reality he doesn't. If he wins Cup then no one really cares as he gets his long term deal. If he doesn't win Cup then he is fired.

read on reddit that burke said that he's heard Muzzin's camp wants something around 5 million x 4 years. Which I'd do.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I don't see Muzzin accepting a AAV and term that we would need to have in a salary cap world with expansion coming shortly. With 4 players making such a high percentage of the team cap I think, realistically, we won't be signing him. To me, this is the reality of a salary cap league. Every team needs to think very carefully about how many players they can sign above say 3 million dollars. Draft and develop and judicious trades within your salary cap structure is the new norm. Many teams have to let players go that they would love to keep. You have to hope as most teams do, that our young prospects (in our case defence men) become what we need them to become. Who knows. Maybe Rielly and Freddy will be unaffordable when their contracts are up. This is the new reality.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs gave up 1st 2019 + 2nd rounders (Grundstrom + Durzi) and 1st in 2020/21 all banking on this season.

If they let Muzzin walk as UFA that is the equivalent of all that above lost ..

Because of the investment both direct and indirect its almost imperative that Leafs retain Muzz simply to show long term ROI (return on investment). IMO

Hes also been the teams best D man. Which is more of a reason to keep him than a raw asset management pov.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Chris Johnson on headlines "Started preliminary discussions on the possibility..."

Yeah not sure he could word it so it seems anymore unlikely. Muzzin is going to get more than we should give him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Chris Johnson on headlines "Started preliminary discussions on the possibility..."

Yeah not sure he could word it so it seems anymore unlikely. Muzzin is going to get more than we should give him.

he said it will be a tough one.

but both sides want to get it done

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
he said it will be a tough one.

but both sides want to get it done

I was just chuckling about the fact that's the way he started the segment. "started", "preliminary", "possibility". When you start preliminary talks about the possibility of something. It's clear he was trying to find a way to say it while trying to keep expectations low.

It might happen, but I don't expect anything concrete until the offseason at the earliest. But I also think it'll be a mistake because he probably gets at least 5 x 6.0 and I think he ages about as well as Alzner did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad