Blues Trade Proposals Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oilers are still scouting Blues. Berglund upping his play is good news for a potential fleecing.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Oilers are still scouting Blues.

I think they're taking a closer look at Berglund. I am not sure that I would trade Berglund during the season, but definitely in the offseason before his partial NTC kicks in. The Blues will likely need to clear salary. I could see something around Berglund+ for Yakupov (the Blues would obviously need to add something significant). Yakupov is a risk, and I think the Oilers are realizing that he just won't hit his potential in EDM.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This isn't the right time for the Blues to take on a project. Whatever else,I don't think Edmonton has many players ready to be up to speed on the Blues any time soon.

I'd usually agree, but if that project is Nail Yakupov, and we're not trading a crucial piece of our team, I would make an exception. It all depends on what Edmonton wants in return. Package centered around Berglund? I'd take it and run. Centering around Oshie, I'd pass. There's so much untapped potential(I know, we all thought the same thing about Berglund at one time) there that I think we'd regret passing up the opportunity to snag a potentially(there's that word again) game changing winger. Hitch would have a lot of work to do, but I think a change of scenery and a new start would do wonders for him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This isn't the right time for the Blues to take on a project. Whatever else,I don't think Edmonton has many players ready to be up to speed on the Blues any time soon.

If you can get amazing value, then I think Army might try for it. If Edmonton ends up saying Yak for Bergy straight up, I'm not sure you can pass up that value.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Yakupov. I don't really get the thought process in this thread lately. Trading Shatty for Hall isn't a need. Creates a massive hole in the back end. For a winger that isn't better then Tank right now, and being at close to the top in goals per game.

I get that lack of scoring has killed us lately in the playoffs. But we overlook the fact that we outplayed LA in that series and outside of a bad goal from the blue line from Penner...... Chicago, we win the first two and lose our best forward.... Then lose the next 4. Please remember that we had everyone on the IR going into the playoffs - and Ott was our top line center for games 3 - 6. Can't compare the two rosters...

I don't touch Yak. He has had one good month of play for Edmonton in his career. The rest is nothing to write home about. Yes he is young, but he is also damaged good right now. (If you take away the 1st overall status: truly look at his play - what is his value - WAY WAY WAY too much focus being put on a potential that likely doesn't exist). Right now he is a 2nd liner on the worst team in the league and he is struggling offensively. D game is nothing to write home about. When fans say "He is working hard" and that is their selling point -that isn't saying much..... Ott works hard. So does Porter....

There are more then a few 1 overall picks that don't develop. And Edmonton couldn't have done a worse job of developing their prospects. His development is very much ****ed right now. He is very much like MSP. Right now, as of today: Berglund is a better player. He will give us a better chance to win the cup then Yak.

Getting him out of Edmonton, well that may change literally nothing. It is a 50/50 shot at this point. Gagne has had trouble in Phoenix and he was more productive the Yak at similar ages.

I by no means am saying he is a bust. But I don't see elite talent when I watch him. I also don't see first line talent at this point. Trading him on the if/come...... I don't do it unless we can get him dirt cheap.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I imagine the only people we'd be interested in at a reasonable price would be Eberle and Yakupov, and I think Edmonton would really over-value Eberle, so just saying the realistic person that we'd get for Berglund would be Yak. I doubt something happens, just saying that would be the guy we'd end up with.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think losing Berglund will be more impactful then we realize. Now that the SOB line is back together and producing the the STL line. We don't need to lean on the Stastny line that hard for production. I wouldn't move Berglund for a project.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's just that would could really shelter that line since that line would only see 3rd line/3rd pairing matchups.

Yakupov is a hard-worker, so in that type of situation, I don't think he'd be a liability. My concerns about him, is I'm not sure if he'd ever reach his offensive potential. Hell, I have my doubts on him reaching 25-25-50 type production.

He did produce as an 18 year old in the KHL though, so still lots of potential. If he does even get close to his potential, it could be an absolute fleecing that Army would be dumb not to go for it. It's not like this season is our last in our window.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Berglund is basically a project in his own right. We've been coddling his offensive inconsistency for years now. Moving him for a guy like Yakupov really isn't that risky at all. It's pretty much a high reward, low risk move since Berglund would be gone in the offseason anyways. Acquiring a guy with that much potential for something centered around Berglund is basically as good as it gets. Not sure Edmonton will do that, but I don't really understand why anyone would be opposed to trying that. Berglund likely won't bring in anything better.

I mean, now that Berglund is playing better, hopefully it increases his value. I don't really understand the people who all the sudden don't want to move him. That always happens whenever a player starts playing well, which isn't always the right way to manage your assets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Center depth, defensive prowess, zero guarantee Yakupov turns into anything. If you can move Berglund for Yak in the off season, by all means, do it. I don't think subtracting Berglund and adding Yakupov makes the team better now. Does it make the team potentially better in the future, yes.

Just like Hall for Shattenkirk, probably hurts the team now but potentially beneficial in the future

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A Yakupov deal wouldn't stay on the table forever though. It's one of those that if it's available, Army would have to pounce, that is if the value is right for Army.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes there is zero guarantee that Yakupov turns into anything.

There's also a chance he becomes a really good player.

Berglund is a 3rd-liner whose future here is numbered. It's not even a risk, but if you had to call it that, it's one you certainly try to make if you're Armstrong, IMO.

If you don't move Berglund for a roster player, then the next best case scenario is you get maybe a high 2nd for him at the draft. So I really don't think we'd have much to lose for taking a chance on Yakupov, but if we're going to do it it should be early so he can get comfortable before the playoffs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I see your points, and they are good one. It's just that Berglund does a lot of little things that don't get him on the board. Work in his own zone and board battling. Stastny has been non existent in those areas and moving Berglund from him for someone who's equally not know for those qualities could degrade the line more then improve.

I'm glad I don't have to make these calls lol

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Who on earth would have thought that we'd be saying no to trading Berglund for a 1st overall draft pick, haha. I agree, I don't think I would trade Berglund this year for Yakupov, because I think that could seriously mess with team chemistry, and we don't have time this late in the year to help Yakupov learn our system and how to properly play defense. But this offseason? That's a no brainer. I would trade Berglund and our 2nd for Yakupov. You could roll STL, SOB, Fabbri-Stastny-Yakupov as a 3rd line next year, which is insane.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Trades around Berglund for Yakupov and Rattie for Read?

Steen - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Read - Statsny - Yakupov
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Who on earth would have thought that we'd be saying no to trading Berglund for a 1st overall draft pick, haha. I agree, I don't think I would trade Berglund this year for Yakupov, because I think that could seriously mess with team chemistry, and we don't have time this late in the year to help Yakupov learn our system and how to properly play defense. But this offseason? That's a no brainer. I would trade Berglund and our 2nd for Yakupov. You could roll STL, SOB, Fabbri-Stastny-Yakupov as a 3rd line next year, which is insane.
I think Berglund is a well liked guy in the room. But I don't really see much chemistry on the ice between him and his teammates. I mean, who on the roster does he have chemistry with? Maybe Oshie...

Oshie, yeah I'd be concerned about losing him and his effect on team chemistry. Berglund, not so much.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Steen - Backes - Oshie
Read - Statsny - Yakupov
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Enough firepower in the top 6 to shelter the 3rd line, so if Yak fails, it's not big deal, but if that 3rd line plays to their talent, we'd be the most dangerous team in the league.

Worst case, you could run Lindstrom on that line in the playoffs, who IMO is like the bad version of Berglund, he won't help you, but he won't hurt you.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Steen - Backes - Oshie
Read - Statsny - Yakupov
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

I would do that in a heartbeat, but I think that would spell the end of Oshie in a Blues uniform come next season. That's hard to swallow for me, since I want to give the SOB line one more chance in the playoffs. I think having the STL line taking over the primary offensive responsibility could have the SOB line.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I think Berglund is a well liked guy in the room. But I don't really see much chemistry on the ice between him and his teammates. I mean, who on the roster does he have chemistry with? Maybe Oshie...

Oshie, yeah I'd be concerned about losing him and his effect on team chemistry. Berglund, not so much.

Yeah, I am talking mostly about locker room stuff. It would be, IMO, a fairly big shakeup to trade Berglund and bring in a 21 year old former 1st overall who is struggling mightily and has only had NhL experience with the cesspool that is Edmonton, haha.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Steen - Backes - Oshie
Read - Statsny - Yakupov
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Looks pretty, pretty, pretty good

Would be very optimistic if we went into the playoffs with that forward lineup

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Yes there is zero guarantee that Yakupov turns into anything.

There's also a chance he becomes a really good player.

Berglund is a 3rd-liner whose future here is numbered. It's not even a risk, but if you had to call it that, it's one you certainly try to make if you're Armstrong, IMO.

If you don't move Berglund for a roster player, then the next best case scenario is you get maybe a high 2nd for him at the draft. So I really don't think we'd have much to lose for taking a chance on Yakupov, but if we're going to do it it should be early so he can get comfortable before the playoffs.

I view this as trying to win this year - all the pieces seem to have fallen into place. Berglund helps us do that. Yak doesn't. Stas is still figuring out the system and he had all summer to do that. It took Roy a long time to figure it out also. Yak will be way lost....

Yak only played in the KHL for part of the lockout - which was different sort of year w/ the NHL tallent. Other then that he was with Sarnia. He needed more time to develop. It wasn't like he dominated a full season in the KHL.

It is a huge risk. In off season - I would make the move, but not during the season. It hurts the team short term.

I saw the Nail, Read, Stas line, but honestly, based on last night, I think putting Ott on the wing w/ Berglund and Stas, w/ Porter, Lappy, and Reaves on the 4th makes a lot of sense in the playoffs. Those 4 players do one heck of a job mashing the d.

I personally like Berglund better then Read from the overall game stand point.

For all we know, Edmonton was looking at MSP. How funny would that be to trade him back for a 2nd?? Heck, maybe even Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad