Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
There’s no chance Army gave out a 7 year extension to a player in the hopes Seattle picks him. GM’s make bad decisions on occasion but this would be a whole new level of incompetence.

There is almost no chance that an expansion team would not take a Dman as good as faulk and a long term contract that wont break the bank if he was available.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Faulk is perfectly fine. He's starting to show signs of proving he's worth the contract. Like I said before though, I think Faulk was signed to offer to Seattle in the draft.
A sub 40pt non "elite" dman is not worth 6.5m a year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There is almost no chance that an expansion team would not take a Dman as good as faulk and a long term contract that wont break the bank if he was available.
Yes, there is a chance they don't pick him. A very big one. The Blues will have lots of good players available, and Justin Faulk isn't a "can't miss" defenseman.

Again, it doesn't make sense to take up a large portion of cap space for 2 years just to get Seattle to MAYBE take a guy. If they really wanted to control Seattle's decision, they could have just saved Bokk and traded him to Seattle in order to take a guy of our choice. But they didn't, and your argument is that we are taking a gamble 2 whole years in advance in trying to forecast their decision. That plan just isn't very logical, and it's not something a team that just won the Cup should be prioritizing.

I'll put it like this: There is no chance in hell Armstrong decided to give Faulk a contract simply to entice Seattle as opposed to going for another Cup. Because, this limits the possibility of us acquiring a guy like Hall, etc. That's not smart GM'ing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A sub 40pt non "elite" dman is not worth 6.5m a year.
The cap hit isn't the problem for where the cap currently is, it's the term. Luckily he won't be that old at the end of it, but Army is banking on Faulk not having an unexpected dip in performance at some point on that deal. Never a fan of giving big term to non-elite players, regardless of age.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The cap hit isn't the problem for where the cap currently is, it's the term. Luckily he won't be that old at the end of it, but Army is banking on Faulk not having an unexpected dip in performance at some point on that deal. Never a fan of giving big term to non-elite players, regardless of age.

I agree the term is a problem. The cap hit is also a problem based on our current cap structure. He may be worth $6.5 in a vacuum. But we don't have the room to spend $6.5 on a luxury 3rd pairing RD. We need to re-sign Pietrangelo, and based on our cap structure, now the only way to do so is to move out significant salary.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree the term is a problem. The cap hit is also a problem based on our current cap structure. He may be worth $6.5 in a vacuum. But we don't have the room to spend $6.5 on a luxury 3rd pairing RD. We need to re-sign Pietrangelo, and based on our cap structure, now the only way to do so is to move out significant salary.

Resigning Petro is doable, but yeah, it sort of just brings back the Shattenkirk issue that we had. Seems odd that Army didn't target a left-handed dman. Maybe one wasn't available.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Who’s to say that adding Nylander and Kap is a downgrade from Petro?

I think it's a moot point because the leafs ain't trading those guys for a rental Petro, and I can't see him signing an extension with any other team during the season. Very wishful thinking. Look at what the Sens got for Karlsson.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think it's a moot point because the leafs ain't trading those guys for a rental Petro, and I can't see him signing an extension with any other team during the season. Very wishful thinking. Look at what the Sens got for Karlsson.
I think there is big difference wanting out of team, make in better team, desire of win a Cup vs. win a Cup and walk after complete one joyrney of his career.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
There's no way we could sign Hall to an extension if Petro walks, right? He's wanting like Matthews money? Adding Hall and losing Petro would certainly make our team worse, but it would lessen the sting quite a bit. Maybe he'd be willing to take less to sign with a team that should be winning quite a bit in the near future? Feels unlikely, especially since losing Petro would definitely put a dent in those winning ways.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

My Goodness.

This would have me excited had we not hitched our wagon to a $6.5 million anchor over the next 7 years with a NTC, that we are hoping can regularly produce 35-40 points. Jersey is obviously going to want a blue chip, of which we have 1-3 depending on how you view Kyrou, Kostin, and Husso. Not enough in the cupboard to mortgage the next 5-6 years on without any guarantee we will be able to repeat.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I just don't see what we'd have to realistically offer that would interest New Jersey. Kyrou would obviously be interesting for them, but I highly doubt we'd go there. If we weren't willing to deal him for ROR(locked up for some term) in a summer we were desperately looking to improve, I doubt we'd do it for a pending UFA the season after winning the Cup, especially now that he's in the NHL and looks like he belongs.

I'm sure they'd be interested in Husso, but how much does he really move the needle, especially after the injury riddled season he had last year?

Vince Dunn? Zach Sanford? Scott Perunovich?

I don't see how we could really put together an enticing package without like Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou, who should be nonstarters.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Hall would purely be a rental I believe. What scares me is what we would give up to get him. I mean there are so many guys on our team that frankly I would prefer over Hall that it's not funny. I wouldn't trade Sunny 1 for 1 to get Hall for instance.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I want nothing to do with Taylor Hall. As a rental, it would completely destroy our already shallow prospect pool. He would definitely make us better, but not to the extent that it would justify gutting our resources. We would likely be outbid anyway. As for a signing Hall, I honestly think we would regret that contract pretty quickly. Hall's game is predicated on his speed, and he has had knee issues. I don't think his style of play will age well. I am also uneasy about reports from NJ fans that he looks like he is "mailing it in" this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: shpongle falls

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The only way I'd be comfortable getting Hall is if Army pulls off ROR 2.0 and manages a couple cap dumps and sending back something like Perunovich as the feature prospect. I'm not concerned about the "mailing it in" with him, he has as many playoff games as times his current team has picked 1st in the draft. I am concerned about health though, and spending all those assets just to get burned on an injury would be devastating.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
*Incoming unpopular opinion warning* I want nothing to do with Taylor Hall. As a rental, it would completely destroy our already shallow prospect pool. He would definitely make us better, but not to the extent that it would justify gutting our resources. We would likely be outbid anyway. As for a signing Hall, I honestly think we would regret that contract pretty quickly. Hall's game is predicated on his speed, and he has had knee issues. I don't think his style of play will age well. I am also uneasy about reports from NJ fans that he looks like he is "mailing it in" this season.

If you read the rest of the posts I don't think it's entirely that unpopular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad