Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would take a swing at Hall if it didn’t cost Kyrou, which it almost certainly wouldn’t. If Petro walks this is probably it for the realistic Cup window. We don’t win a Cup without him. I love Parayko as much as the next guy, but he’s not Alex Pietrangelo. Faulk helps, but it’s still a much weaker unit as a whole without Petro, and we have no prospect who will be even close to Petro’s level, which is not a knock on them, really, just the reality of the situation. Pietrangelo and Binnington make us Cup contenders. If we lose either of those guys we’re done. It seems more and more likely that Petro is walking next summer. If that seems like a certainty come TDL, I fully expect Army to land a big fish, Hall or someone else at that level. He knows the score.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would take a swing at Hall if it didn’t cost Kyrou, which it almost certainly wouldn’t. If Petro walks this is probably it for the realistic Cup window. We don’t win a Cup without him. I love Parayko as much as the next guy, but he’s not Alex Pietrangelo. Faulk helps, but it’s still a much weaker unit as a whole without Petro, and we have no prospect who will be even close to Petro’s level, which is not a knock on them, really, just the reality of the situation. Pietrangelo and Binnington make us Cup contenders. If we lose either of those guys we’re done. It seems more and more likely that Petro is walking next summer. If that seems like a certainty come TDL, I fully expect Army to land a big fish, Hall or someone else at that level. He knows the score.
Regardless of whether we resign Petro this year is best chance at Cup. Petro walks we are weaker. We resign him and need to cut major $ to get under cap we are weaker. Last year and this were 2 best chances for this group. Let’s make it daily double.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Regardless of whether we resign Petro this year is best chance at Cup. Petro walks we are weaker. We resign him and need to cut major $ to get under cap we are weaker. Last year and this were 2 best chances for this group. Let’s make it daily double.

Not necessarily. Let's say we move out Bozak, Steen and Allen. We let Thomas play C and he takes over for Bozak as a 40+ point 3rd line C. Kyrou comes in as a 30 point offensively dynamic rookie to replace Thomas' role. MacMAc/Kostin/Walker take over for Steen with a little loss. Allen isn't playing in the playoffs, if we are doing well, so his loss shouldn't effect to much as long as we get a backup capable of banking enough points to get us there. That really isn't a lot of loss there. Bouw may even come back at even more discount.

That's also assuming we need to move all 3. If we can get all our extensions reasonably, we only have to move 2. Granted, it also assumes the young kids take a good step forward. But that is why they are our best prospects, because we expect them to be good someday.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not necessarily. Let's say we move out Bozak, Steen and Allen. We let Thomas play C and he takes over for Bozak as a 40+ point 3rd line C. Kyrou comes in as a 30 point offensively dynamic rookie to replace Thomas' role. MacMAc/Kostin/Walker take over for Steen with a little loss. Allen isn't playing in the playoffs, if we are doing well, so his loss shouldn't effect to much as long as we get a backup capable of banking enough points to get us there. That really isn't a lot of loss there. Bouw may even come back at even more discount.

That's also assuming we need to move all 3. If we can get all our extensions reasonably, we only have to move 2. Granted, it also assumes the young kids take a good step forward. But that is why they are our best prospects, because we expect them to be good someday.

and get tarasenko back

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

That is a lot of assumptions. And it can work out. But this years team is already excellent. We have healthy team for playoffs we will be a beast. We could be better next year but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would love to get Miles Wood in our team currently 4th liner. Speedy and energy. Only problrm is his contract lenght. 2 Møre years with that cap.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If nothing else, Tarasenkos return should open up some space for his line-mates, as teams will have to respect his shot even if it’s not 100%.
Maybe, but we're still lacking that elite shot, which still hurts the team. I'll take 50% Vladi over no Vladi...but if we can add more punch, we need to do it Vladi or no Vladi

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Maybe, but we're still lacking that elite shot, which still hurts the team. I'll take 50% Vladi over no Vladi...but if we can add more punch, we need to do it Vladi or no Vladi
I'm going to respectfully disagree. I really think this team is strong enough even without Tarasenko. I don't think we need to add.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm going to respectfully disagree. I really think this team is strong enough even without Tarasenko. I don't think we need to add.
We need a team that can consistently generate scoring opportunities. That’s not something the Blues have been a able to accomplish this season. Having a defensive scheme like the Blues is great, but the team does need to have more goals than the other.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Strong enough for what? We've seen how teams tighten up. Blues aren't really filling the net as it is. Last year when they were bad, they could score, just couldn't stop it

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I don’t know that messing with the locker room chemistry at this point is a great idea. How many teams (us included) go out every year and make a big splash at the deadline and peter out in the first or second round? Most of them. When the Kings, Hawks, and Pens were at their best, they were keeping the same group together for the most part, or doing 99% of the tinkering during the summer. This is a confident group that walks into every game knowing they can/should win. They’ve been to the top of the mountain together before, and I believe they can do it again if all goes well. Making big rental moves just messes with that. Everybody says “well it’s a business” when it happens, but you can tell it really affects players when they or their buddies get traded. It can be a distraction, especially when all of the focus that has been on the _team_ is suddenly on the new guy that just showed up.

At this point, dance with the one you came here with. This is the team Army & Co have put together to win another cup. At the risk of doubling down on metaphors (tripling down?), we shouldn’t change horses midstream, or second-guess what is working. We don’t need a shake-up or a big splash to get another cup this year, imo. Trust the system, stay the course, and we’ll get there.

Reactions: Reality Czech

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
ROR won the Conn Smythe. Pietrangelo possibly could have . It isn't like Vladi carried the team. Who are we missing from last year? Maroon, Fabbri and Edmundson? If we keep the intensity that we have seen this year, keep the commitment to team defense, and if Binnington keeps it up, I think we have just as much chance as last year.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I don’t know that messing with the locker room chemistry at this point is a great idea. How many teams (us included) go out every year and make a big splash at the deadline and peter out in the first or second round? Most of them. When the Kings, Hawks, and Pens were at their best, they were keeping the same group together for the most part, or doing 99% of the tinkering during the summer. This is a confident group that walks into every game knowing they can/should win. They’ve been to the top of the mountain together before, and I believe they can do it again if all goes well. Making big rental moves just messes with that. Everybody says “well it’s a business” when it happens, but you can tell it really affects players when they or their buddies get traded. It can be a distraction, especially when all of the focus that has been on the _team_ is suddenly on the new guy that just showed up.

At this point, dance with the one you came here with. This is the team Army & Co have put together to win another cup. At the risk of doubling down on metaphors (tripling down?), we shouldn’t change horses midstream, or second-guess what is working. We don’t need a shake-up or a big splash to get another cup this year, imo. Trust the system, stay the course, and we’ll get there.
Well considering that a core piece in Tarasenko is out for the entire year, I'd say that the core is already shaken up for this year and isn't the team that Armstrong envisioned.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
ROR won the Conn Smythe. Pietrangelo possibly could have . It isn't like Vladi carried the team. Who are we missing from last year? Maroon, Fabbri and Edmundson? If we keep the intensity that we have seen this year, keep the commitment to team defense, and if Binnington keeps it up, I think we have just as much chance as last year.
If either of Pietrangelo or O'Reilly were out for the entire year and Tarasenko weren't, then people would still be concerned about scoring. Losing a foundational piece like that is always going to be a problem, regardless of who is lost. The Blues have had problems generating consistent scoring efforts, that's been the glaring issue all year. Of course losing arguably the best offensive weapon the team has at its disposal is going to be very concerning, and could easily be the team's undoing if not monitored properly.

No one is saying that the team lives or dies on Tarasenko, but to ignore what he brings and what the team's problems have been is an easy way for this team to be exploited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
O'Reilly was a god last year, this year he's not as good. Still a great player but he's not carrying the team. Vladi shined 2nd and 3rd round, then in the finals he got hurt and was less effective but still made his mark. We dont win a cup without him, Conn Smithe or not.

We added Faulk for no good reason and its had a noticable effect on the defense. It looks like its getting better but DA has already shown he's willing to add to his group.

All I can do is look at it from my perspective. If I were on the Blues and let's say Army adds Hall....I know its f***ing on, let's go

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Well considering that a core piece in Tarasenko is out for the entire year, I'd say that the core is already shaken up for this year and isn't the team that Armstrong envisioned.
Expectation is still Tank is back for playoffs unless you know something I don’t.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Expectation is still Tank is back for playoffs unless you know something I don’t.
The expectation is he will be re-evaluated at the end of the year. Who knows when he’ll actually be ready to go and I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume if he is ready we’re not going to get his best coming off a major injury and hopping into the playoffs. He’s far from a sure thing at this point.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The expectation is he will be re-evaluated at the end of the year. Who knows when he’ll actually be ready to go and I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume if he is ready we’re not going to get his best coming off a major injury and hopping into the playoffs. He’s far from a sure thing at this point.
I'm think that the team uses "re-evaluated" as "expected back". There have been a few times when players have returned earlier than the initial re-evaluation date in recent seasons. Terming it like that just gives it a softer target date to reduce expectations.

But yeah, he is far from a sure thing. The doubts over his short term efficacy on his return are the big concern for me.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
schwartz and allen for hall?

edit: schwartz has the 15 team ntc, so probably not as nj isn't likely to be a preferred destination. would be an upgrade for our left wing tho

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Being cleared to play and being effective are not the same thing. Since Tarasenko’s shot is his main contribution, it’s likely that he’s not a lot of help initially as he needs to regain strength in the shoulder. At least he’ll be able to skate, but I’m not sure how wise it is to treat Tarasenko’s future contributions this year as anything but bonus.

Reactions: Renard

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
schwartz and allen for hall?

edit: schwartz has the 15 team ntc, so probably not as nj isn't likely to be a preferred destination. would be an upgrade for our left wing tho
I wouldn't consider moving Schwartz this year. If we landed Hall, he may be a cap casualty moving forward though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad