Blues Trade Proposals 2019-2020 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder how much Jimmy Howard would cost us? If we trade for Howard, we could use him as a back up for the remainder of the season. We could then trade Allen, whose value is going up. This summer, Howard will be a UFA, and if Husso isn't ready, we can shop for a backup. Thoughts?

We have a solid tandem going, why break that up? It was mentioned on a recent broadcast that teammates love Allen even if he gets the Rodney Dangerfield treatment from fans. Maybe Allen will be moved in the off-season but I don't see the rush to make a move now.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We have a solid tandem going, why break that up? It was mentioned on a recent broadcast that teammates love Allen even if he gets the Rodney Dangerfield treatment from fans. Maybe Allen will be moved in the off-season but I don't see the rush to make a move now.
I see your point. However, Pietrangelo is going to have to be signed, and we will have to move some people to make cap space. Allen is a logical candidate. I agree that it can wait until the off-season.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
In an ideal world we could wait until the summer to move Allen, but there are too many variables that could ultimately turn that into a terrible idea.

$4m is probably the minimum amount of salary we need to clear ahead of next season.

Steen isn't going to get moved, and buying him out would only result in a net cap saving of ~$1.5m once we factor in a replacement at around league minimum. Bozak has a 10 team NTC, and if we're looking to not take any salary back in a trade then it means that could be just as effective as a full NTC. So we need to move Allen.

Does anyone trust 100% that he isn't going to regress back to his .905 sv% of the last couple of seasons? We shouldn't. So we should be looking to move him out in a one-for-one trade for an expiring contract as soon as possible. Hopefully he can have another couple of strong starts and we can look at getting Howard or Korpisalo in return.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Maybe Army has already decided to let Pietro walk. Faulk long term signing. Schenn signing. Keeping Allen.

If Pietro would have been #1 priority Army would already re-sign him.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
In an ideal world we could wait until the summer to move Allen, but there are too many variables that could ultimately turn that into a terrible idea.

$4m is probably the minimum amount of salary we need to clear ahead of next season.

Steen isn't going to get moved, and buying him out would only result in a net cap saving of ~$1.5m once we factor in a replacement at around league minimum. Bozak has a 10 team NTC, and if we're looking to not take any salary back in a trade then it means that could be just as effective as a full NTC. So we need to move Allen.

Does anyone trust 100% that he isn't going to regress back to his .905 sv% of the last couple of seasons? We shouldn't. So we should be looking to move him out in a one-for-one trade for an expiring contract as soon as possible. Hopefully he can have another couple of strong starts and we can look at getting Howard or Korpisalo in return.

The other issue is, if we wait until next summer to move one of these guys, Army is going to dealing with a buyer's market and folks looking to make him pay to get out of the cap squeeze that he put himself into willingly. He risks backing himself into a corner trying to find a taker, instead of making teams pay a fair rate if a demand arises before then. But if Binny goes down, Allen is a heck of a lot more appealing than any other option of which I'm currently aware, so i get why he's still here (and probably will remain so).

Reactions: Alklha and Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen could be movable at TDL, but we don't have back-up goaltender. We have Husso, but we don't know does he success at NHL level. How vocal Chief has been about Allen and we sit in good shape leading central and west. Danger our possible playoff run trading Allen now wouldn't be that smart move. Everything would be different if we would know where Husso would be at NHL level.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I wonder how much Jimmy Howard would cost us? If we trade for Howard, we could use him as a back up for the remainder of the season. We could then trade Allen, whose value is going up. This summer, Howard will be a UFA, and if Husso isn't ready, we can shop for a backup. Thoughts?
I would target someone like Casey DeSmith. 1.25M AAV through 21-22. DeSmith could have been claimed on waivers back in October and GMJR likes to wheel and deal.

And there is this last piece about expansion draft exposure requirements which is the cherry on top.
"One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

The bigger issue is finding a team before the deadline that would be interested in Allen at his full cap hit of 4.35M for next year. We can't afford to retain any salary. The team is playing so well right now. I'd also hesitate to make any big move for the sole purpose of not disrupting team chemistry.

:blues
Jake Allen
Zach Sanford
Robert Bortuzzo
(Combined 7.25M)

:leafs
Cody Ceci
Kasperi Kapanen
(Combined 7.70M)

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
How about - after the season - Jake Allen for New Jersey's second round pick. Probably the first pick in the second round or just after that.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
31 Thoughts included comments about the Blues and Stars being "believed" to be in on Hall as well.

But most interestingly was the ominous "Watch STL; they think the can repeat and are going to go for it".

I'm thinking we definitely add at the TDL, and I think that indicates we will do our due diligence on Hall -- especially given our past history. I think this also indicates that Petro stays for the whole season contract or no.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I would target someone like Casey DeSmith. 1.25M AAV through 21-22. DeSmith could have been claimed on waivers back in October and GMJR likes to wheel and deal.

And there is this last piece about expansion draft exposure requirements which is the cherry on top.
"One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list."

The bigger issue is finding a team before the deadline that would be interested in Allen at his full cap hit of 4.35M for next year. We can't afford to retain any salary. The team is playing so well right now. I'd also hesitate to make any big move for the sole purpose of not disrupting team chemistry.

Jake Allen
Zach Sanford
Robert Bortuzzo
(Combined 7.25M)

Cody Ceci
Kasperi Kapanen
(Combined 7.70M)

I agree, DeSmith would be a nice piece to have for the purpose of expansion draft exposure - anyone know how many more years of RFA control we have on Husso after this year? All I know is he's an RFA this summer.

As for your proposal, isn't Ceci a RD? I don't think we need to add yet another RD to this team. Clearing Bortz' tiny cap hit doesn't exactly help us long term - I like him as a 6/7 guy, outside of his bone head plays like the Arvidsson cross-checks...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
31 Thoughts included comments about the Blues and Stars being "believed" to be in on Hall as well.

But most interestingly was the ominous "Watch STL; they think the can repeat and are going to go for it".

I'm thinking we definitely add at the TDL, and I think that indicates we will do our due diligence on Hall -- especially given our past history. I think this also indicates that Petro stays for the whole season contract or no.
Petro was always going to stay, extension or not.

With the way we are currently playing, and the extensions we are giving out, Army knows we are going to have a Kings or Hawks situation down the road, so we need to make this window count. I'll be curious how much we give up while we are contending over the next few seasons.

An interesting aspect would be if Army believes that Thomas/Barbashev/Sundqvist can center the 3rd line, then including Bozak in a deal for Hall could make resigning either Petro or Hall very realistic, maybe even both.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Petro was always going to stay, extension or not.

With the way we are currently playing, and the extensions we are giving out, Army knows we are going to have a Kings or Hawks situation down the road, so we need to make this window count. I'll be curious how much we give up while we are contending over the next few seasons.
2 or 3 cups and we may not care about the collapse. Well we will but itll lessen the sting. Wont be the Wild

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
2 or 3 cups and we may not care about the collapse. Well we will but itll lessen the sting. Wont be the Wild
Hell, 1 makes it worth. Right now, we already won't have a repeat of the Pronger/MacInnis/Weight/Tkachuk/Demitra days. We actually have the pieces required at every position, the forwards, defense, and goalie.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don't think Hall would be an excellent fit here, but it would be tough denying a player that could easily go PPG. Even if he is slower than what he used to be, he's still very dynamic and would be one of our fastest skaters - definitely our fastest forward. Having him on LW would be amazing.

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Hall O'Reilly Perron

Now that is a Top-6 full of 3 elite and 3 very good forwards.

Getting him as a pure rental seems plausible if we're trying to go for it, but I doubt we'd be able to find a way to keep him. Colorado will outbid us since they can manage an extension. Otherwise, I don't see any other team out-bidding us given that we have Kyrou, Alexandrov, Husso/Hofer/Ellis/Zherenko, Kostin, our plethora of defensemen, and even Faulk to potentially dangle. Hopefully we would only move Kyrou or Kostin for an extended Hall after Petro is locked-in, but I could see us using Hofer, Reinke, etc. as tradebait.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
DeSmith would be an ideal target IMO. He would be competition for Husso as backup going into next season, and he's probably one of the cheapest backups we could find. Because if we simply dump Allen, we're 100% counting on Husso being the backup, because looking into UFA goaltending, we're either looking at a backup making upwards of 3mil or a guy who is terrible

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I agree, DeSmith would be a nice piece to have for the purpose of expansion draft exposure - anyone know how many more years of RFA control we have on Husso after this year? All I know is he's an RFA this summer.

As for your proposal, isn't Ceci a RD? I don't think we need to add yet another RD to this team. Clearing Bortz' tiny cap hit doesn't exactly help us long term - I like him as a 6/7 guy, outside of his bone head plays like the Arvidsson cross-checks...
Yes he is a RD. I put him in there because he makes 4.5M on an expiring contract that the Leafs would need to move to add Allen. Bortuzzo is in there because he fits the bill of what Toronto is looking for (at least based on fan speculation on here). Same with Sanford.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Didn't realize Hall only has 4 goals this season, yikes.
That whole NJ team is a mess.

Normally I wouldn't put much thought into Hall but with Army tripling the f*** down on this roster....it seems like a plausible move. Last year was magical, but we saw how quickly elite players buried the Blues. If we can add an elite talent to maximize the next couple years.........its tempting. His injuries is my only concern.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Jake Allen
Zach Sanford
Robert Bortuzzo
(Combined 7.25M)

Cody Ceci
Kasperi Kapanen
(Combined 7.70M)
Not bad, but I would rather keep Bortuzzo. I know he isn't very popular right now, but he brings an edgy element that I like. He is also apparently a popular guy in the room, is a great team-mate and is very cheap.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That whole NJ team is a mess.

Normally I wouldn't put much thought into Hall but with Army tripling the **** down on this roster....it seems like a plausible move. Last year was magical, but we saw how quickly elite players buried the Blues. If we can add an elite talent to maximize the next couple years.........its tempting. His injuries is my only concern.
Don't disagree, just surprised it was that low. Obviously we saw what happened with Schwartz, so talent can still rise up in the playoffs.

I think Army really tries to get Hall or Kreider or some forward.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don't disagree, just surprised it was that low. Obviously we saw what happened with Schwartz, so talent can still rise up in the playoffs.

I think Army really tries to get Hall or Kreider or some forward.
Agreed. I know some say "dont mess with the Mojo" but I'd say adding a legit top 6 guy show's management is all in. We didn't exactly cruise to the Cup last year. A Taylor Hall may have helped end the Dallas and Boston series in 5 or 6.

Tarasenko should be back for the playoffs but as we've seen with his prior shoulder surgery......he may not be the player we need. It took several month before his shot had that lethal velocity to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad