Status
Not open for further replies.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
78120875_2792994014054191_2444743754804887552_o.jpg

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't see NJ retaining him, he's likely walking as a UFA this summer - that would be poor asset management from what is almost guaranteed to be a non-playoff team.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the cap space unless they're sending Jack Johnson back AND NJ retains salary, which means paying multiple high picks or Galchenyuk and picks/prospects. I doubt Pittsburgh is the landing spot.

Montréal would love to acquire that kind of player, but I'm not sure what kind of package they'd be willing to offer outside of a 1st and a B prospect, which I don't think gets Hall.

Colorado makes the most sense in terms of window and asset availability with Bowers, Kaut, Jost, Timmins and multiple high picks as options for a package. I would hate to see Hall land in Colorado because of how stacked that top 6 looks with him - defence isn't intimidating yet, but Colorado if Hall extends will be deadly for the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'm pretty happy with Allen's ability to get 2 points on the road. Many backups around the league are pure trash; so I'd be cautious of jettisoning Allen just yet. What I'm curious about is whether he'd stick around (if he's not a cap-casualty before his contract expires) with a significant pay-cut to be the clear #2, or is he going to want a chance to be a starter and earn another decent contract while (/if) he's able. I'd think they've got to part ways for both party's sake, but I'm not convinced the Blues have an internal option ready to take over the #2 at the NHL level. Maybe Pheonix Copley is available.

Reactions: Blueston

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Not buying this list. I think Blues interest in him is overstated.
Same.

I'd love to have him, but I think the Blues don't want to hamper any cap flexibility with a player that would be pricing himself closer to $10 million a year. And I highly doubt Armstrong wants to give up prospects or picks for a player that won't be here in the long term. I just don't see a fit for the Blues unless Hall is willing to take a serious discount.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Lets trade away Allen in to Montreal.

How did you pick Montreal? Did you just go to the NHL team page, close your eyes and point to a team randomly?

Why would any objective person want to trade Allen right now? He's been playing great and we have no other capable back up goalie right now. Your Finnish guy doesn't seem to be having such a great year.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
It’s a shame Hall isn’t a feasible option because, when fully healthy:
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Hall-ROR-Perron

Is an absolutely insane top 6. Even plugging Thomas/Blais into a spot rather than Tarasenko is still a very dangerous top 6. But, it really doesn’t make much sense to acquire him and would expect something in the Toffoli/Pageau neighborhood if anyone is added.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty happy with Allen's ability to get 2 points on the road. Many backups around the league are pure trash; so I'd be cautious of jettisoning Allen just yet. What I'm curious about is whether he'd stick around (if he's not a cap-casualty before his contract expires) with a significant pay-cut to be the clear #2, or is he going to want a chance to be a starter and earn another decent contract while (/if) he's able. I'd think they've got to part ways for both party's sake, but I'm not convinced the Blues have an internal option ready to take over the #2 at the NHL level. Maybe Pheonix Copley is available.
I can’t see Allen being here next year. We’ll need the cap space.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I haven’t watched Hall at all this season, but reports are not very good. I see Devils fans who watch the team closely saying he looks to have lost some speed and explosiveness. Although that could be skewed by their frustration with the team, for a guy on an expiring UFA contract you’d think he’d stay highly motivated and incentivized to give full effort even if his team’s season is lost. I guess what I’m getting at is that I would only want him as a rental, and I would be hesitant to get into a bidding war. I worry that he won’t contribute any more than a more affordable internal option who doesn’t have the same pedigree. And the type of tinkering that would be necessary to make room to re-sign him could end up being a disaster.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I haven’t watched Hall at all this season, but reports are not very good. I see Devils fans who watch the team closely saying he looks to have lost some speed and explosiveness. Although that could be skewed by their frustration with the team, for a guy on an expiring UFA contract you’d think he’d stay highly motivated and incentivized to give full effort even if his team’s season is lost. I guess what I’m getting at is that I would only want him as a rental, and I would be hesitant to get into a bidding war. I worry that he won’t contribute any more than a more affordable internal option who doesn’t have the same pedigree. And the type of tinkering that would be necessary to make room to re-sign him could end up being a disaster.
100% agree.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Out of all the potential names the one that intrigues me the most is Kreider.

However, with that being said I don't think we need to do anything. We are still finding ways to win and help with the exclusion of Vladi isn't that far off. I say keep riding this thing out for now. Also, I would really like to see Army avoid trading early round picks for the next few years. The prospect pool needs some restocking.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I can’t see Allen being here next year. We’ll need the cap space.

Well, either him or Bozak for sure are gone. And I suspect there will be a push to move Steen again. If Steen moves, I think Allen stays because there won't be many good available backups available cheap.

I'd expect next deals for the following to be about

Jbo 2m with 1m in bonuses (GP).
Petro 9m
Dunn bridged at 3-4 or extended long-term at 6 (similar to Girard in COL)
Blais bridged at 3

Meaning we need about 16-19m in cap with around 8m available now and probably a 1.5-2m cap bump coming. So we need to clear 6-9m.

Bozak should be an easy move to clear 3.5-4m in cap (budgeting 1-1.5m for a RFA reup replacement in MacMac, De la Rose or Walker). Moving Steen clears 4.75 (again budgeting 1m for replacement) buying us 8.25-8.75 in space.

A good Allen replacement is going to cost ~2.5m on a 2-3 year deal. A lesser option doesn't fit Army's MO (excluding the Chad Johnson experiment), but would cost 1-1.5m saving us 1.3-3.3m in cap on Allen's deal (4.8-7.3m cap gained total after Bozak leaves). So I suspect that the emphasis will be on moving Steen (max savings) & Bozak (most appealing asset) for the bigger savings over Allen.

If Steen can't be moved, I can see Blais potentially being a cap casualty. We're going to be pissed about someone moved this summer beyond Bozak if Steen doesn't wave his NTC, because I'm not so sure we ship Allen out.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why Montreal? They don't need a goalie. In fact, they just waived one.
I thought they need decent back-up goaltender and Allen is that + Habs have cap space for it. In my eyes also Allen's value isn't that bad now so we can move that cap space away while he's not holding any negative value.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How did you pick Montreal? Did you just go to the NHL team page, close your eyes and point to a team randomly?

Why would any objective person want to trade Allen right now? He's been playing great and we have no other capable back up goalie right now. Your Finnish guy doesn't seem to be having such a great year.
Your post just sound so funny so I'll will leave it here.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I thought they need decent back-up goaltender and Allen is that + Habs have cap space for it. In my eyes also Allen's value isn't that bad now so we can move that cap space away while he's not holding any negative value.
Price has a 10.5 million cap hit. I would be astounded if they were even willing to take on half of Allen’s cap hit.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I wonder how much Jimmy Howard would cost us? If we trade for Howard, we could use him as a back up for the remainder of the season. We could then trade Allen, whose value is going up. This summer, Howard will be a UFA, and if Husso isn't ready, we can shop for a backup. Thoughts?

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I wonder how much Jimmy Howard would cost us? If we trade for Howard, we could use him as a back up for the remainder of the season. We could then trade Allen, whose value is going up. This summer, Howard will be a UFA, and if Husso isn't ready, we can shop for a backup. Thoughts?

I guess now that Holland is gone and Howard has no trade protection clauses in contract I suppose he might be available. There have been a few articles quoting Howard stating that he wants to retire a Red Wing - Yzerman may not show the same loyalty if calls start coming in.

But... Bernier and Comrie as their goaltending duo for the rest of the year? Yikes... I mean how do you even start that conversation? Or try to send Allen to Detroit - that would be a conversation I'd love to be a fly on the wall for!

"Hey Steve, Doug here. I want to swap goaltenders with you - please add because ours is younger and signed for an extra year pretty please?" "No, Steve, not our starter..." "Yes, the guy that's lost his starting gig to every backup we've had since he got the starting gig." "Because he's a Stanley cup winner! You clearly need a cultu —- Steve? Steve?... Guess he hung up on me."

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad