Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I doubt Army trades our 1st now that we don't have a 2nd. At least I hope he wouldn't do that!:( Not drafting until the 3rd round in a deep draft would really suck. Especially for rentals.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Man the Kreider hype is in full effect. I wonder if NY gets greedy and misses out, and ends up dealing him in the final minutes for whatever they can get. I forget who that happened too recently.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wonder how often GMs do this, if it's obvious to the other GM, and if it potentially burns bridges if they find out they were never serious about making a deal.
I think the door can swing both ways. If you keep your hat in the ring, you may end up with the player because your competition moves onto someone else because they become impatient. Let's say your not a serious bidder and thats discovered. The bidding war can fall apart fast and the team you're trying to drive the price up on may end up with the player, cheaper.

I think Army is serious but has his price. Boston may be out of the running for Kreider. So that price might come down a little bit

Reactions: Alklha

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think the door can swing both ways. If you keep your hat in the ring, you may end up with the player because your competition moves onto someone else because they become impatient. Let's say your not a serious bidder and thats discovered. The bidding war can fall apart fast and the team you're trying to drive the price up on may end up with the player, cheaper.

I think Army is serious but has his price. Boston may be out of the running for Kreider. So that price might come down a little bit
Yeah, and it's worked for him in the past when he was genuinely serious about a player. Bouwmeester and O'Reilly come to mind. Army passed on Calgary's high price for Jay, but after Detroit wouldn't even give a 1st, then he got his guy at his price. Similar with O'Reilly with a deal not happening at the draft, but then happening on opening of free agency.

I'm more so curious about GMs that just string other GMs along with no intention of making a deal. Just curious how often that happens as a sneaky deal to prevent a rival from getting them.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sakic has been a very savvy GM, I cant think of any recent trade where he caved in. If I were a betting man, he's not going to give up more then a 1st+good prospect for Kreider. Colorado's window has barely opened, I don't see him pushing his chips in just yet. His healthy team is a handful and scores goals at will as it is....Kreider is a luxury.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Armstrong will be throwing out various ideas to the Rangers and seeing if something works where we aren't moving out first, at least without conditions. Then he'll leave the ball in their court. He done it with Bouwmeester, Hoffman, ROR, etc.

I just can't see it working with Kreider. An extension is unlikely, so that should further limit what we're willing to pay. Other teams could believe they can get an extension and might have more assets to move than we do.

I do think that Armstrong is going to really try and get something else done. If he thinks that a significant roster player won't be back next season, so more significant than Allen or Bozak, then he might be more aggressive. It's balancing that with not just giving away our first.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
You’re probably right, but given the fact that he’s getting paid Nine Million Dollars the next two years, I’d say it’s gonna take a lot for Seattle to bite on that. If he was playing well that would be one thing, but yikes, that’s a lot of money to flush down the toilet

Seattle doesn't care what Faulk makes next year... The expansion draft is after the end of the 2020-21 season, so they don't owe him a dime for 2020-21, that's on the Stillman group to pay him.

Seattle would be paying him for 6 seasons in this hypothetical situation.

9.0m 2021-22 (29 y/o for season)
5.85m 2022-23
7.9m 2023-24 (31 y/o)
4.75m 2024-24
4.5m 2025-26
4.5m 2026-27 (34 y/o)

At least from Seattle's perspective, there's potential that when not shoehorned into a system that doesn't suit him he will play better and he's young by dman standards in every single year his salary exceeds his cap hit.

Sub 5m a year for ages 32-34 until he's a free agent will be market value (or below market value with the rising cap) if he returns to that 2nd pairing play level.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Seattle doesn't care what Faulk makes next year... The expansion draft is after the end of the 2020-21 season, so they don't owe him a dime for 2020-21, that's on the Stillman group to pay him.

Seattle would be paying him for 6 seasons in this hypothetical situation.

9.0m 2021-22 (29 y/o for season)
5.85m 2022-23
7.9m 2023-24 (31 y/o)
4.75m 2024-24
4.5m 2025-26
4.5m 2026-27 (34 y/o)

At least from Seattle's perspective, there's potential that when not shoehorned into a system that doesn't suit him he will play better and he's young by dman standards in every single year his salary exceeds his cap hit.

Sub 5m a year for ages 32-34 until he's a free agent will be market value (or below market value with the rising cap) if he returns to that 2nd pairing play level.
are those correct cap payment for Faulk per year? Jeeeeesus we've to pay that guy 9mill.$ :laugh:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
are those correct cap payment for Faulk per year? Jeeeeesus we've to pay that guy 9mill.$ :laugh:

Not the cap - those are the salaries owed though, yes. Cap is the static 6.5 AAV.

The salary paid to NHL players frequently changes from year to year, which is why the Average Annual Value (AAV) is what is used as the cap hit.

Matthews (15.9m), Marner (16m) and Tavares (15.9m) are all making more than their cap hit (10.9-11.6m) this year. The last years of their contracts pay closer to 8m salary.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Armstrong will be throwing out various ideas to the Rangers and seeing if something works where we aren't moving out first, at least without conditions. Then he'll leave the ball in their court. He done it with Bouwmeester, Hoffman, ROR, etc.

I just can't see it working with Kreider. An extension is unlikely, so that should further limit what we're willing to pay. Other teams could believe they can get an extension and might have more assets to move than we do.

I do think that Armstrong is going to really try and get something else done. If he thinks that a significant roster player won't be back next season, so more significant than Allen or Bozak, then he might be more aggressive. It's balancing that with not just giving away our first.
It's also hard to say who goes. Sanford has made a good case to be the player they want. Kyrou has shown flashes of game breaking skill, and has done his job to stay in the lineup. We may be looking to plug a hole that doesn't actually exist. Feels that Vladi will be back sooner rather the later, so where's the hole? You can argue that Kyrou can ride pine or Sanford is still too inconsistent, but feels like a gamble to give up assets you'll need down the line for a player that may not fit.

Reactions: Blueston

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Has there been any word from the team regarding Tarasenko''s updated time frame? The evaluation with team physicians should have been on 2-15-20 if I'm remembering correctly. Haven't heard a peep since then. Could be something or it could be nothing.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Has there been any word from the team regarding Tarasenko''s updated time frame? The evaluation with team physicians should have been on 2-15-20 if I'm remembering correctly. Haven't heard a peep since then. Could be something or it could be nothing.
I expect that Army is keeping that information close to the vest until after the trade deadline so as not to lose any leverage if he is working on another deal. Frankly, he already gave some of that up after the Scandella trade with his statement about any other moves being "hockey trades" but there is no need to announce anything that will give other GMs more information.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Pietrangelo was "sick" today.

0CYZfS.gif

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My interest in Kreider is officially at zero. I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s just the hype around him as the “big fish” out there when in reality I don’t think he’s anything special, that has completely turned me off to him. Not to mention I like the chemistry of our lines and there’s nobody that I want to replace with him. He’d likely just block a young player.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I seem to be in the fringe minority on this, but I don’t think Kreider’s style fits ours very well. I think Palmieri could be a very good fit with us, though.
Yes, Palmieri is the only fwd i really want, that has been rumored available at this point. He's not a rental, and would instantly be one of the best pure shooters on our team, which could improve our PP, and thus our playoff scoring as well.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I seem to be in the fringe minority on this, but I don’t think Kreider’s style fits ours very well. I think Palmieri could be a very good fit with us, though.
I agree on Kreider, at least in the short term. He may offer "something different", but that can be difficult to effectively incorporate into a team late in the season.

I've talked about Pageau before, and if he was available then I think he's a better option for us than Kreider. This group won last year, we don't need to swing for the fences on someone like Kreider, who is going to be 50/50 between a significant offensive addition and a constant frustration. For an acquisition that has 20 games to adjust, I'd rather see us go for "more of the same"; someone who is likely to fit, makes us tougher to play against, while adding flexibility and some more offense.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Yes, Palmieri is the only fwd i really want, that has been rumored available at this point. He's not a rental, and would instantly be one of the best pure shooters on our team, which could improve our PP, and thus our playoff scoring as well.

I also believe he will support all the 5 on 5 puck possession game we do when we are playing well, like now. At the end of all that, when you grind the opponents into dust after they are pinned in, I think you’re much more likely to have a Palmieri finish it off with a goal. Kreider is all about suddenness and counters, but we don’t do a lot of that.

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
I would love to have Palmieri here, but with contract what will that cost us? I believe he is better then Coleman and that cost a 1st + a good prospect. What would NJ want for him and how do we fit his contract in the cap next year? Not intended to be negative, just asking questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad