Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Speaking of deal with the Devil...

What if we keep Dunn and send Gunnarsson to Vegas for Tuch with some salary retention on both sides to make the cap work both ways? Vegas is probably going to have to lose another trade to get cap compliant. They may see Gunnarsson as a good fit for Petro getting acclimated to his new team given how much time they've been paired together here in STL. I think Tuch is 10%-20% overpaid, but to get him at a cap number that fits this year for a guy who isn't in our plans as more than a 7th D would be a steal. This would obviously also be dependent on being able to get Dunn on a cheapish bridge deal for this season.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Speaking of deal with the Devil...

What if we keep Dunn and send Gunnarsson to Vegas for Tuch with some salary retention on both sides to make the cap work both ways? Vegas is probably going to have to lose another trade to get cap compliant. They may see Gunnarsson as a good fit for Petro getting acclimated to his new team given how much time they've been paired together here in STL. I think Tuch is 10%-20% overpaid, but to get him at a cap number that fits this year for a guy who isn't in our plans as more than a 7th D would be a steal. This would obviously also be dependent on being able to get Dunn on a cheapish bridge deal for this season.
I like the idea of taking advantage of Vegas's cap situation to pry talent away that otherwise wouldn't be available.

Hey Kelly. Doug here. How about Gunnarsson for Tuch with 1M retained and Alec Martinez and we won't file a tampering complaint with the league office. Saves Vegas 6M against the salary cap. Blues use LTIR to go over.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I like the idea of taking advantage of Vegas's cap situation to pry talent away that otherwise wouldn't be available.

Hey Kelly. Doug here. How about Gunnarsson for Tuch with 1M retained and Alec Martinez and we won't file a tampering complaint with the league office. Saves Vegas 6M against the salary cap. Blues use LTIR to go over.
lol I think Doug bend of enough to Vegas. Last team to contact. I would give only one number to Army and thats Kevyn Adams'.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Proposed in main boards by a FLA fan.

Brett Connolly and a 2nd for Dunn?

Would ya?

I would.
I don't know that he'd be my first choice, but his cap hit is certainly in our wheelhouse and he's put up some good regular season counting numbers. I do have some concerns about how he has disappeared in the playoffs every time he's been there except the year the Caps won it all. His xG and Corsi at even strength has been pretty bad both by himself and relative to his teammates, and that actually goes from bad to worse in the playoffs.

I'd prefer someone younger and with more room to grow to a higher ceiling, but if Dunn has lost his role on this team due to redundancy we could certainly do worse.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
No, I fail to see how Connolly is an improvement on what we have. And we shouldn't be trading Dunn just to trade him.

I agree regarding Connelly but what would you propose we do with Dunn if we're not trading him? Genuinely curious. I know we can bridge him and trade him later but with the expansion draft looming we'd likely lose him for nothing which seems like bad asset management.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I agree regarding Connelly but what would you propose we do with Dunn if we're not trading him? Genuinely curious. I know we can bridge him and trade him later but with the expansion draft looming we'd likely lose him for nothing which seems like bad asset management.
First, we are going to lose somebody in expansion draft. If not Dunn, we lose Barbie or someone else valuable. And 2nd, He could be protected as we could strategically expose Krug or Faulk who have contracts that might scare off Seattle.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Shocked if Dunn would return Cirelli.
Well, he would if you added Kyrou, Kostin and a 1st.

But seriously, Cirelli is not a viable target because the only way they move him is if there is no cap coming back. If we don't send cap back, we need to move Bozak out somewhere else with no cap coming back to fit Cirelli.

The speculation in Tampa is that he is going to get somewhere between Gourde and Point money depending on how many years he is willing to lock up. I suppose that the cap hit of Dunn + Bozak = Mikkola/Perunovich + Cirelli, but you're giving up a ton of futures to get him so you better hope your pro scouts are confident he is the next ROR and not the next Sobotka (he wears #71).

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
One Tampa fan in the trade boards was fine with Kyrou and Kostin only, in exchange for Cirelli. I offered Dunn and Kyrou initially. Bozak would have to go...but there's room for Schwartz and Cirelli if Bozak and Steen are gone from the cap calculations.

Bozak to Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo for a 5th. Dunn to wherever for whatever. Gunny could probably be moved (and replaced by Mikkola) to some team in need for depth as well.

Last edited:

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
First, we are going to lose somebody in expansion draft. If not Dunn, we lose Barbie or someone else valuable. And 2nd, He could be protected as we could strategically expose Krug or Faulk who have contracts that might scare off Seattle.

So we're keeping an unbalanced D for a season just to lose him for free anyway? Idk man, that doesn't sound optimal.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I honestly don't see Seattle being intimidated by the Krug contract, unless he completely flops here next season.

Faulk, maybe... Simply because of how poorly he's looked over the past few seasons once he was no longer the guy in Carolina and looked underwhelming here... Having a more defined role and a steady partner, while playing his right side almost exclusively could also drastically affect his performance & value.

I think it's premature to be forming a protection list for our defence before we've seen 30ish games without Petro, to get a better idea of how the pairings gel and who performs well with the ice time they're given.

Dunn, I like as a player, but don't really see a place for in our lineup long term. I think he's going to flourish elsewhere and we'll have regrets about seeing him leave unless he's traded for a good forward piece, which solidifies our middle 6 or replaces Perron once his contract expires.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I honestly don't see Seattle being intimidated by the Krug contract, unless he completely flops here next season.

Faulk, maybe... Simply because of how poorly he's looked over the past few seasons once he was no longer the guy in Carolina and looked underwhelming here... Having a more defined role and a steady partner, while playing his right side almost exclusively could also drastically affect his performance & value.

I think it's premature to be forming a protection list for our defence before we've seen 30ish games without Petro, to get a better idea of how the pairings gel and who performs well with the ice time they're given.

Dunn, I like as a player, but don't really see a place for in our lineup long term. I think he's going to flourish elsewhere and we'll have regrets about seeing him leave unless he's traded for a good forward piece, which solidifies our middle 6 or replaces Perron once his contract expires.
True. I was just pointing out there are paths where protecting Dunn is feasible. I think he should be dealt bc as you say likely no longterm place for him but expansion draft doesn't mandate it.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I think this team should be shopping Dunn for a top 6 winger of a similar age, preferably a RW.

Perron and Tarasenko are no longer spring chickens. And despite not being old, with the questions around Tarasenko moving forward and Perron being 2 seasons from UFA and 34... I think we need to be solidifying that wing before we're forced to run Kyrou as our 1 RW, without other options or competition.

I think we're fortunate enough to have Thomas who can play 2C/3C or RW, but I don't think he's most effective on the wing, because he's not much of a shooter. We could do far worse than Thomas on the RW, but I don't like how that RW looks after the 2020-21 season. I think Dunn is one of our better assets available to address it.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
What do you mean unbalanced? We could run Krug, Scandella, and Dunn as LH and Faulk, Parayko, and Borts as RH.

Sorry didn't mean to leave you hanging like that, got busy at work.

I definitely could have been clearer there Blueston, apologies. Celtic knows me well and he was correct. I meant offensive vs defensive oriented D.

My experience has been that you can protect two guys who are weak defensively inside your group of 6 and have a decent chance of success depending on personnel quality but if you take a third weak defender it makes that D groups' task far more difficult regardless of the quality of personnel. I'm operating on the accepted narrative that Krug and Faulk need to be sheltered. Whether or not that's true is of course debatable but after losing Bo and Petro we're now unquestionably weaker than we were last year from a pure defense standpoint.

So that's what I meant by unbalanced but I really should have either picked my verbiage better or taken the time to explain my position.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sorry didn't mean to leave you hanging like that, got busy at work.

I definitely could have been clearer there Blueston, apologies. Celtic knows me well and he was correct. I meant offensive vs defensive oriented D.

My experience has been that you can protect two guys who are weak defensively inside your group of 6 and have a decent chance of success depending on personnel quality but if you take a third weak defender it makes that D groups' task far more difficult regardless of the quality of personnel. I'm operating on the accepted narrative that Krug and Faulk need to be sheltered. Whether or not that's true is of course debatable but after losing Bo and Petro we're now unquestionably weaker than we were last year from a pure defense standpoint.

So that's what I meant by unbalanced but I really should have either picked my verbiage better or taken the time to explain my position.
I don't get the sense that club feels Faulk needs to be sheltered. Perhaps Krug. Certainly they've been sheltering Dunn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad