Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Palmieri would cost way too much. Sanford has shown enough that I'm comfortable with him going into the playoffs. Our best offer is picks and non roster guys, which isnt possible unless we hold Tarasenko out, we only have about 400k in space if he returns

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Palmieri would cost way too much. Sanford has shown enough that I'm comfortable with him going into the playoffs. Our best offer is picks and non roster guys, which isnt possible unless we hold Tarasenko out, we only have about 400k in space if he returns

You’re forgetting we added another 1.25 mil of cap by getting Scandella and putting Bouw on LTIR.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You’re forgetting we added another 1.25 mil of cap by getting Scandella and putting Bouw on LTIR.
What do you mean? I went off capfriendly, which stats we have 7.9m available, deduct Vladi's 7.5m and we've got 400k.

Unless this is the stupid remaining daily cap hit crap and at that point I give up because it gets too complicated. When I think I get it....I dont

Reactions: Blueston

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
What do you mean? I went off capfriendly, which stats we have 7.9m available, deduct Vladi's 7.5m and we've got 400k.

Unless this is the stupid remaining daily cap hit crap and at that point I give up because it gets too complicated. When I think I get it....I dont

Oh yeah the whole situation is obnoxious. That 400k I don’t think is including the person we’d have to send down’s cap. I just know we were right at the cap, we put JBo’s 3.25 on LTIR, and only spent 2 on Marco.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

That’s correct, but you need to add the cap hit of whoever gets sent down when Vlad is activated. De La Rose? 900K

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ah ok. Makes sense now, forgot about that move. Still though, going to be hard to add anyone of significance.
I think there is room for Brouwer and Mikkola, but Mikkola probably doesn’t come up until the AHL season is over. I think Kostin will be in that category too.

Reactions: Dbrownss

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
What about a hockey trade with Pietro and bozak involved?! Didn’t seem to need them

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What about a hockey trade with Puerto and bozak involved?! Didn’t seem to need them

Puerto Rico? I don’t think we should be trading that yet.

Would love to add Palmieri. Just don’t know how to make it happen unless Bozak is included. And at that point I’m not too sure how big of a shakeup to our framework trading Bozak right now would be.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Puerto Rico? I don’t think we should be trading that yet.

Would love to add Palmieri. Just don’t know how to make it happen unless Bozak is included. And at that point I’m not too sure how big of a shakeup to our framework trading Bozak right now would be.
I'd tend to agree, we've been a top team for most of the year without Tarasenko. We hear about how tight the guys are. Hard to go against what has worked. Someone has to go to bring someone in, unless Army pulls a master trade and moves Faulk out. I wouldn't say he's a part of the group just yet

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Normally at this time of year we're hearing we have scouts everywhere, it's been quieter this year. Or I'm just missing all the reports of the games where we have scouts in attendance.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
We dont need forward

Respectfully disagree.
When Vladdy returns our lines will look like this:
Schwartz-ROR-Schenn
Perron-Thomas-Vladdy
Sanford-Bozak-Kyrou/Blais
Barbashev-Sunny-Steen

I am not even remotely sold on that 3rd line.
Bozak isn't going to carry a line on his own.
Sanford is still an enigma.
For all his flash; Kyrou does not offer consistent production.
And Blais has been an outright liability( 3 points and -6 in his last 18 games).

I'm not saying we should pay a stupid price for somebody like Kreider, Hoffman or Palmieri; but I do think that we need to shore up that 3rd line.
Not sure who the right fit is to do that, but I do think it needs to be something Army looks at.

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
I wonder after the two goalie getting injuried in Carolina maybe we send them Allen and get something in return.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Respectfully disagree.
When Vladdy returns our lines will look like this:
Schwartz-ROR-Schenn
Perron-Thomas-Vladdy
Sanford-Bozak-Kyrou/Blais
Barbashev-Sunny-Steen

I am not even remotely sold on that 3rd line.
Bozak isn't going to carry a line on his own.
Sanford is still an enigma.
For all his flash; Kyrou does not offer consistent production.
And Blais has been an outright liability( 3 points and -6 in his last 18 games).

I'm not saying we should pay a stupid price for somebody like Kreider, Hoffman or Palmieri; but I do think that we need to shore up that 3rd line.
Not sure who the right fit is to do that, but I do think it needs to be something Army looks at.
To be fair, I dont think he's being given a fair shot at the moment, I would imagine by design. Before the all star break and him being scratched, he was getting significant ice time, but wasn't doing a lot with it. He was subsequently scratched, told to work on things, and now has less ice time, yet better performances. I'd wager that he is really starting to learn the defensive side of the game, at least enough to be serviceable. Sure, Thomas was nhl ready when he came in, but his offense wasn't. Kyrou is the opposite, he is more than ready offensively, just not up to par on the defensive side. He will be just fine though by the time the playoffs are here. As for the left side, I think you have to put a bigger, more physical body on that line, someone like a Blais or Steen (despite what you may think of Steen's output offensively). I think once you solidify that third line with another linemate for Bozak and Kyrou, they'll flourish.

Also, let's not forget Maroon's deficiencies as a defensive forward. He was slow, held on to the puck too long quite a bit of the time, and didn't make great plays most of the time directly in front of the net. I think if you give that line someone like Blais or Sanford, and to a lesser extent Steen, they'll end up controlling the play more, giving Bozak and Kyrou opportunities to get open and make plays. Steen and Sanford are both enigmas because Steen is still talented defensively, which to me personally I would expect him to have better possession numbers because of that, but that isn't the case (sitting at 48% for both corsi and fenwick). Sanford has better possession numbers, but he is so inconsistent offensively, that it affects his line's production too often. Blais has possession numbers that are very close relative to Maroon, is physical like Maroon, is faster than Maroon, and is arguably a better player offensively despite not scoring near Maroon. I say he's better offensively because his stick handling and shot (from what I've seen) are better than Maroon's, especially in tight.

Overall I think we have enough pieces offensively to be pretty effective in the playoffs, god willing no one is severely injured. I think there is plenty of depth to warrant no more trades, but this is just my opinion and how I think the lines would work. No one does anything unless there's chemistry developed, and that's the most important thing in my mind.

Reactions: Bluenatic

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I would even put Tarasenko on the third line. Give him some easy matchups. Our second line is clicking right now and so is our first line, put him on the third with Bozak and JK or Blais. Reunite the forth line and you can run 4 lines that can score.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't know how well this will go over. Oh well ... Justin Faulk for Loui Eriksson. We get out of Faulk's contract for 2 more years of an over-paid Eriksson. And he is a serviceable LW. Win win!!

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't know how well this will go over. Oh well ... Justin Faulk for Loui Eriksson. We get out of Faulk's contract for 2 more years of an over-paid Eriksson. And he is a serviceable LW. Win win!!

Cringe. So much f***ing cringe.

Vancouver is facing a cap crunch next season with a significant amount of UFAs and RFAs to resign this summer - they're going to be paying a steep price to dump someone like Eriksson without taking cap back.

No way they take Faulk back, purely from a cap perspective. Not interested in having 2 overpaid middle 6 guys next season (Steen & Eriksson) so hard pass from me.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Giving up a top 4 Dman for a guy who would be our 15th best forward and might be the most overpaid player in the league is certainly an interesting idea.

This Faulk hate is getting absurd. He’s fine. His contract isn’t great, but it’s not even the worst on the team by a long shot. Our backup makes 4.5M and our 14th forward makes almost 6M. Next year Faulk will likely have an even bigger role on the team after Petro walks and his AAV will be perfectly reasonable. Term is still questionable but we can get out of the deal at any time if we somehow acquire a replacement who is better than him, which seems unlikely.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
The worst part about Faulk, are the posters rationalizing his contract with us letting our best player walk in FA.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Giving up a top 4 Dman for a guy who would be our 15th best forward and might be the most overpaid player in the league is certainly an interesting idea.

This Faulk hate is getting absurd. He’s fine. His contract isn’t great, but it’s not even the worst on the team by a long shot. Our backup makes 4.5M and our 14th forward makes almost 6M. Next year Faulk will likely have an even bigger role on the team after Petro walks and his AAV will be perfectly reasonable. Term is still questionable but we can get out of the deal at any time if we somehow acquire a replacement who is better than him, which seems unlikely.
Why do people think he'll be better with a bigger role? They already shoe horned him into big minutes. He should be thriving on the 3rd pairing, and he's not. While I dont think he's horrible or atrocious, I wouldn't say he's been fine. He needs to perform to his contract, and he's not. Right now we have the luxury of sticking him on the 3rd pairing and I dont think he bars the Blues from keeping Petro, if Petro wants to stay. But it puts us in cap trouble. I dont think well have to dump him and we can probably get some value out of him in the offseason.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
To be fair, I dont think he's being given a fair shot at the moment, I would imagine by design. Before the all star break and him being scratched, he was getting significant ice time, but wasn't doing a lot with it. He was subsequently scratched, told to work on things, and now has less ice time, yet better performances. I'd wager that he is really starting to learn the defensive side of the game, at least enough to be serviceable. Sure, Thomas was nhl ready when he came in, but his offense wasn't. Kyrou is the opposite, he is more than ready offensively, just not up to par on the defensive side. He will be just fine though by the time the playoffs are here. As for the left side, I think you have to put a bigger, more physical body on that line, someone like a Blais or Steen (despite what you may think of Steen's output offensively). I think once you solidify that third line with another linemate for Bozak and Kyrou, they'll flourish.

Also, let's not forget Maroon's deficiencies as a defensive forward. He was slow, held on to the puck too long quite a bit of the time, and didn't make great plays most of the time directly in front of the net. I think if you give that line someone like Blais or Sanford, and to a lesser extent Steen, they'll end up controlling the play more, giving Bozak and Kyrou opportunities to get open and make plays. Steen and Sanford are both enigmas because Steen is still talented defensively, which to me personally I would expect him to have better possession numbers because of that, but that isn't the case (sitting at 48% for both corsi and fenwick). Sanford has better possession numbers, but he is so inconsistent offensively, that it affects his line's production too often. Blais has possession numbers that are very close relative to Maroon, is physical like Maroon, is faster than Maroon, and is arguably a better player offensively despite not scoring near Maroon. I say he's better offensively because his stick handling and shot (from what I've seen) are better than Maroon's, especially in tight.

Overall I think we have enough pieces offensively to be pretty effective in the playoffs, god willing no one is severely injured. I think there is plenty of depth to warrant no more trades, but this is just my opinion and how I think the lines would work. No one does anything unless there's chemistry developed, and that's the most important thing in my mind.

I am not convinced that I agree on Kyrou and I certainly don't agree on Blais.

- Kyrou has had 5 good games in a row now. Before that he was scoreless in 9 straight and was a -3 during that stretch.

Has he really turned the corner into becoming a solid NHL'er or is he just on a hot streak following the Bouw situation?
And how willing are you to risk the 3rd line falling into the toilet during the PO's based on your answer?

Personally, I would like to think that he's turned the corner but I just can't bring myself to bank on it. As we saw last year; you need your 3rd line to be able to win games for you and I'm not convinced that Kyrou is at that level just yet.

-If I'm being specific; Blais is the forward that I think needs to be replaced.
He has been a train wreck since he returned from injury. He is chasing the play instead of driving it, his offensive production is non-existent and his defensive game has fallen off a cliff(likely due to frustration).
And Army has noticed it(he commented on it during the Scandella presser).

Furthermore; Blais does not play a net front game. Even when Maroon wasn't scoring, his butt was in front of the goalie creating havoc and that opened space for Bozak/Thomas.
Blais doesn't play that style. Blais is at his best when he is patrolling the perimeter like a herding dog and driving the puck into the area's he wants it to go(usually right into our defensive coverage). Except that right now he is reacting instead of driving and that is causing defensive breakdowns.

Under normal circumstances, I would say he needs an off-season to reset. But if Army really wants to repeat we don't have that luxury. We need a reliable 3rd line and we won't have that if Blais or Kyrou are expected to play a key role there. As such; Blais is the forward that needs to go in favor of a more reliable option. He is the weakest link up front currently, and he will be in an absolute dogfight for the final lineup spot next year(Blais, MacMac, Kyrou and Kostin will all be going after a single spot).

Again; I'm not entirely sure who the right fit is in such a deal. But if I'm Army I'd be shopping Blais around for a more reliable option.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I hope Army does nothing. I like the team as it sits. No interest in moving Kyrou, Sanford or Kostin for rentals. Or our 1st for that matter.
Agreed, the only possible move is if Army isnt comfortable with Sanford's consistency. The way they talk about him leads me to believe they genuinely love the kid

Reactions: Mike Liut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad