Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Patrik Berglund
A little different situation since Steen is actually in a place he enjoys, not Buffalo. I’m sure he will stick it out for 1 more year and then enjoy retirement.

I still expect he’ll be back next season, but I think his days of being an everyday player are over. He will turn 37 next season and he’s been through a lot of injuries too. He should just be a rotational guy that plays no more than 50 games on the 4th line. Will allow us to get a look at guys like Poganski and Kostin in that spot.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think letting petro walk is OK. ANZ depending on how the team plays next year, trading tarasenko or another winger for defense and a pick. This could be a way to re-retool and keep most of the team together. Maybe miss one playoff but then get right back in it depending on draft picks and player development.
Letting Pietrangelo walk is absolutely devastating to our roster. Our roster isn't young, we can't afford to miss the playoffs one year as that will have knock-on consequences.

I know that it will be seen as hyperbole, but I believe that if we lose Pietrangelo then we will need Armstrong to pull off another trade like the ROR one. Otherwise in two years we'll either be rebuilding or have become the Minnesota Wild.

As for trading Tarasenko, he has a full NTC. The teams that he'd likely accept a trade to would probably want the trade to be cap balanced. It's rare for teams willing to trade a high-end defenseman to target a winger, they'd normally want a centre. Also, Nylander is the far more attractive option for any team willing to do that. He's 4 or 5 years younger, he has a lower cap hit, and he's signed for four year at the same total dollars as Tarasenko is for the next three.

Is Steen a healthy scratch right now, or is he injured? I’m starting to think the chances of him being bought out may be better than previously thought.
He's day-to-day.

Buying out Steen only really becomes an option if we really need an extra $1.5m in cap space.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How about Tank to Rangers for Kappo Kaako? They are good enough and his buddy Panarin is there so he might waive. We get cap savings to facilitate resigning Petro. And get good young player who maybe fits in our system. Rangers get impact player that combined with Laf will really push them to contender status. I would do it, not sure it’s enough for Rags though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
How about Tank to Rangers for Kappo Kaako? They are good enough and his buddy Panarin is there so he might waive. We get cap savings to facilitate resigning Petro. And get good young player who maybe fits in our system. Rangers get impact player that combined with Laf will really push them to contender status. I would do it, not sure it’s enough for Rags though.
They wouldn't consider that. They aren't looking to compete now, they're still in their rebuild and any success they do have is just gravy at this point. Kakko fits their age range and his upside is a 70+ point player who's strong in all areas, I don't think there are many players in the League that would tempt them to move him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
They wouldn't consider that. They aren't looking to compete now, they're still in their rebuild and any success they do have is just gravy at this point. Kakko fits their age range and his upside is a 70+ point player who's strong in all areas, I don't think there are many players in the League that would tempt them to move him.
They pushed up their rebuild when they signed Bread man. Maybe Kaako isn’t available, but they have other young talent that could be. Worth exploring. Not saying we should move Tank, but he us less important than a Petro and maybe even Schwartz.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I was thinking more along the lines of CAR and Slavin if CAR feels like they need more experienced firepower up front and are comfortable with their D without Slavin having Hamilton, Pesce and Skjei still on the blueline. I know its a long shot, but who thought we could land ROR with Berglund being the feature piece going the other way?

That move saves you $2.2M in cap space, and if you're doing this because Petro walked, you can still move one or more of Allen, Bozak or Steen and take a run at a different type of scoring forward in Hall.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I was thinking more along the lines of CAR and Slavin if CAR feels like they need more experienced firepower up front and are comfortable with their D without Slavin having Hamilton, Pesce and Skjei still on the blueline. I know its a long shot, but who thought we could land ROR with Berglund being the feature piece going the other way?

That move saves you $2.2M in cap space, and if you're doing this because Petro walked, you can still move one or more of Allen, Bozak or Steen and take a run at a different type of scoring forward in Hall.
Like your thinking bu I don't think there is any way they deal Slavin. He is their #1D and on a great contract.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Like your thinking bu I don't think there is any way they deal Slavin. He is their #1D and on a great contract.
Picturing an Aho-Tarasenko combo could give Army an in to use the Jedi Mind Trick on Waddell, especially if Svech is hurt long-term. And Tarasenko could be seen as a great mentor for Svech. I'd even be willing to throw Dunn into the deal if they would send back Foegele or a 2020 2nd.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Another "pie-in-the-sky" shake up deal I would love to see considered is Werenski for Dunn and Tarasenko. CBJ don't have the depth on D behind Werenski that CAR has behind Slavin, but they probably have a greater need for some fire power up front.

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If we're looking at CBJ to trade Tarasenko and Dunn I'd like to see what they'd be looking for for Werenski and Jenner. We would still need to move a few pieces to keep Pietrangelo (Steen, Bozak, Allen, and Gunner) but depending on who we could it could work out well for us.

Schwartz-ROR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou
Sanford-Jenner-Kostin (line might be too slow)
MacMac-Sunny-Barbie

Werenski Pietrangelo
Scandella Parayko
Mikkola Faulk
Bortuzzo

Bennington
???

Don't yell at me too much guys.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If we're looking at CBJ to trade Tarasenko and Dunn I'd like to see what they'd be looking for for Werenski and Jenner. We would still need to move a few pieces to keep Pietrangelo (Steen, Bozak, Allen, and Gunner) but depending on who we could it could work out well for us.

Schwartz-ROR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou
Sanford-Jenner-Kostin (line might be too slow)
MacMac-Sunny-Barbie

Werenski Pietrangelo
Scandella Parayko
Mikkola Faulk
Bortuzzo

Bennington
???

Don't yell at me too much guys.
I'm not sure what need Jenner fills unless you're also moving Bozak as part of this process, which would certainly be needed if we're trading for Werenski -AND- keeping Petro. I just think that's too much money tied up in 4 defensemen, though it could only be for a year because you may very well lose one of the big 4 to Seattle the following off season.

I'd prefer to try to get Bjorkstrand in the deal and add a little or just leave at a 2-for-1 with Dunn and Tarasenko (maybe a pick coming back with Werenski) and try to fill the forward gap from within (Kyrou, Kostin) or through free agency. CBJ has the cap space to make the deal, I just don't know if they have the appetite or if Tarasenko would waive his NTC.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I am not so sure Steen will be back next year. I agree it is unlikely he walks away from his salary, which next year is 3.5 million.
Maybe LTIR "Retirement" is something that could be arraigned. If that is the case it would be ironic if he "retires" and his contract is shipped somewhere like Toronto who loves that LTIR loophole.

I had read somewhere that Steen's total earnings is around 54 million before taxes, fees, etc.
Next season his actual salary of 3.5 million is going to be roughly 1.2 - 1.4 million after fess, taxes, etc. I dont know anyone who would walk away from that, with the exception of Patrick Berglund.

The LTIR thing also is really questionable as Steen has been a warrior and while his body and abilities are diminishing quickly, he is still not missing a whole lot of games.

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
I am not so sure Steen will be back next year. I agree it is unlikely he walks away from his salary, which next year is 3.5 million.
Maybe LTIR "Retirement" is something that could be arraigned. If that is the case it would be ironic if he "retires" and his contract is shipped somewhere like Toronto who loves that LTIR loophole.

I had read somewhere that Steen's total earnings is around 54 million before taxes, fees, etc.
Next season his actual salary of 3.5 million is going to be roughly 1.2 - 1.4 million after fess, taxes, etc. I dont know anyone who would walk away from that, with the exception of Patrick Berglund.

The LTIR thing also is really questionable as Steen has been a warrior and while his body and abilities are diminishing quickly, he is still not missing a whole lot of games.
I've been told by a friend who golfs with Alumni that Steen has a serious injury he's been playing with for some time and getting it fixed will force him into retirement. He would have retired had the Blues not won the cup but he wanted to try for the repeat. As soon as he calls it quits he'll go on LTIR.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I've been told by a friend who golfs with Alumni that Steen has a serious injury he's been playing with for some time and getting it fixed will force him into retirement. He would have retired had the Blues not won the cup but he wanted to try for the repeat. As soon as he calls it quits he'll go on LTIR.
If that was true then is goes a long way to solving our cap issues, it would also explain how relaxed Armstrong is about it all.

However, these stories always float about. I've heard suggestions that there has been a handshake agreement with Detroit in place for Allen dating back to the Fabbri-DLR trade, but that it was in the best interests of both teams to wait until after the season to do it.

I don't put much stock in any specific story, but Armstrong must have something up his sleeve.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At this point, just about any surgery would be career-ending for Steen, so LTIR is a very realistic possibility. Would be nice for us to be able to take advantage of that for once. That would basically take care of our cap situation, maybe an additional move if we need to.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If Steen LTI-Retires, and Tarasenko ends up missing the 2021 season, the Blues not only have money to resign Pietrangelo & Dunn but they can keep Allen and Bozak, while breaking in Kostin and Kyrou. The organizational depth is a luxury that few other teams have.

roster.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TK 421

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Keep in mind that moving Dunn for a similarly aged middle 6 forward if we need some more offense to replace Tarasenko in the offseason is something we can easily pull off.

Schwartz-ROR-Perron
Sanford-Thomas-TRADE
Schenn-Bozak-Kyrou
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Blais
Kostin/Mac/DLR/Poganski

Faulk-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Parayko
Perunovich/Mikkola-Gunnar/Bortuzzo

Binnington
Allen

That’s still an absurdly good, deep team. Our 4th line is still a 3rd line. We’ll be okay. We got lots of pieces.

I appreciate Steen but if he’s truly done, that’s of no real loss to us and would actually help greatly.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Another "pie-in-the-sky" shake up deal I would love to see considered is Werenski for Dunn and Tarasenko. CBJ don't have the depth on D behind Werenski that CAR has behind Slavin, but they probably have a greater need for some fire power up front.
Looks like we might have to table those Tank trade ideas.

Reactions: MissouriMook

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Lol, I was actually entertaining the "let's hang on to Allen" idea. Until tonight. He's gone if I was in charge.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Personally, I am done with Vince Dunn. In my opinion he does more to hurt the team than help it. He is soft on defense, makes bad turnovers on a regular basis and while he does have nice skills, they rarely translate into actual points on the ice. If they move him to re-sign Petro I would not mind one bit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Personally, I am done with Vince Dunn. In my opinion he does more to hurt the team than help it. He is soft on defense, makes bad turnovers on a regular basis and while he does have nice skills, they rarely translate into actual points on the ice. If they move him to re-sign Petro I would not mind one bit.
I don't see the club having Dunn and Perunovich long-term anyway. Unless Perunovich magically becomes like Hughes or Makar, I just don't see them both fitting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad