Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dunn and Edmundson both spent 1-2 seasons in the minors. Parayko had 17 games after college, but made the Blues in his first full pro season. The only way Perunovich makes the team is if he comes to camp and immediately looks like a top 4 guy like Parayko did. It's not something that should be ruled out, but it's going to be pretty unlikely.

A pretty good player comp to Perunovich in Krug also spent his first season in the minors.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
One of the things that will make it tough trading Dunn, is his goal-scoring ability. In limited minutes, he's getting double-digit goal totals for a full season, that's a big boost on the 3rd pair that could get even bigger if he gets more minutes.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We'll be able to easily move Bozak and Allen for picks. The real question is do the Blues actually use a compliance buy out on Steen, historically they don't but will that hold true THIS time?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
We'll be able to easily move Bozak and Allen for picks. The real question is do the Blues actually use a compliance buy out on Steen, historically they don't but will that hold true THIS time?

Normally I wouldn’t think they would, but Army’s moves kinda hint at him doing it if given the chance.

Extending both Scandella and Faulk might scream “Petro isn’t coming back” to some, but to me it’s the opposite. Army knows windows don’t last very long in this league. Your goal is to field the best team you possibly can within the realm of the cap. We have internal replacements for Steen, Bozak, Allen, and Gunnarsson with a way cheaper cap hit, so I feel like he knows that he needs to be smart about this.

I love Steen and everything he’s brought to the organization, but there’s times where you need to have great asset management, and this is one of them.

It’s clear to pretty much everyone which contracts need to go in order to keep Dunn and Petro, so I’m sure he’ll do what he’s always done, and that’s get rid of our bad contracts when needed.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We can also go over the cap by 10% during the off season. So if there is a deal to be made prior to UFA period, then he will make it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would you trade Kostin + Kyrou for the San Jose 1st owned by Ottawa???

Our window is wide open and these 2 are ready to contribute now. I have high hopes for both of them. One with elite speed and can score and set up, The other can score, play physical, fight and plays with an edge. I’d probably pass.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yes I think you make that trade. Adding someone like Stützle at LW/C, even if it’s after another year, who has that type of high end ceiling to this core would be too good to pass up. I like both Kyrou and Kostin but neither would prevent me from taking a shot at adding a real franchise-player talent on an ELC.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I’d be fine with trading Kostin & Kyrou for the pick that becomes Askarov. Don’t know how many more years Binny will be here, but Askarov could start playing at 21 and put the net on lockdown for 15 years. There are a lot of good forwards in this class though...giving Thomas a blue-chip linemate would be pretty great too.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
The last couple of weeks we've been talking about trading Vince Dunn to make some room to sign Pietrangelo. However, I've been wondering, we can also opt to sign Dunn to a new contract and trade Jaden Schwartz? Schwartz still has 1 year on his contract (15 team NTC) and is probably expecting an increase in salary on his next deal. Schwartz is going to be 28 at the start of next season and he's probably going to ask for a 7/8 year deal worth 6-6.5 million a year (the Schenn-contract). For next season, he also has a higher caphit (5.35 million) then Dunn is going to get on his next deal. Dunn is only going to get better while he still has multiple RFA-years ahead of him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The last couple of weeks we've been talking about trading Vince Dunn to make some room to sign Pietrangelo. However, I've been wondering, we can also opt to sign Dunn to a new contract and trade Jaden Schwartz? Schwartz still has 1 year on his contract (15 team NTC) and is probably expecting an increase in salary on his next deal. Schwartz is going to be 28 at the start of next season and he's probably going to ask for a 7/8 year deal worth 6-6.5 million a year (the Schenn-contract). For next season, he also has a higher caphit (5.35 million) then Dunn is going to get on his next deal. Dunn is only going to get better while he still has multiple RFA-years ahead of him.

I hate the idea of trading Schwartz, but I doubt we can afford to sign him to a long term deal while keeping Petro and extending Parayko too. I’d love to get a good return for him, but I’d also like to see him involved in another cup run. He was vital in the cup run.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I hate the idea of trading Schwartz, but I doubt we can afford to sign him to a long term deal while keeping Petro and extending Parayko too. I’d love to get a good return for him, but I’d also like to see him involved in another cup run. He was vital in the cup run.

I agree, it's a tough decision (we also need to give Thomas a contract extension next year). It could come down to either trading Dunn and letting Schwartz walk at the end of next season or trading Schwartz and being able to keep Dunn. Both options sting, but I tend to believe the second option is better going forward.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schwartz is one of my favorite players, but keeping Petro, Parayko, Dunn is important. And it’s also time for Kyrou and Kostin to be regular top 9 players.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agreed. If we sign Petro, dealing Schwartz makes sense to create space longer term for other guys we will need to sign.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have wondered about Schwartz's future with St. Louis, but I knew it wouldn't be a popular take. He is very popular here, with good reason. I am very fond of him myself, but I don't see how we can extend him if we keep Pietrangelo. As others have suggested, if it comes down to keeping either Dunn or Schwartz, it is a tough decision, but I would go with Dunn. Another reason to hate that Faulk extension! :mad:

Reactions: Ranksu and Vollie27

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I have wondered about Schwartz's future with St. Louis, but I knew it wouldn't be a popular take. He is very popular here, with good reason. I am very fond of him myself, but I don't see how we can extend him if we keep Pietrangelo. As others have suggested, if it comes down to keeping either Dunn or Schwartz, it is a tough decision, but I would go with Dunn. Another reason to hate that Faulk extension! :mad:
We haven't seen the real Faulk yet. He'll be fine.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd find any way possible to keep Schwartz. He's a legitimate core piece that drives this team and I don't view him as a "cap casualty" just to fit in someone else. I don't know exactly what our record is with Schwartz out of the lineup but if memory serves correct, it's not very good. Same thing for Sundqvist. This team thrives off of energetic puck hounds like those 2 and they make this team tick. That's because a big part of our identity and we struggle with them out of the lineup.

Obviously it's gonna hurt when you lose any top player, but it really seems like this team can manage to step up and replace goals for a stretch while a guy like Tarasenko is out. When a guy like Schwartz goes down, your forecheck is affected, and your team defense is affected since he's such a good two-way player. That's something that is harder to overcome because it trickles down and impacts every area.

I'm not saying Tarasenko is the guy that needs to go either, but you can still make a case that Schwartz is more important than him.

I really can't fathom how anyone would rather trade him than Dunn. I get Dunn is younger but that's about the only thing in his favor. I like Dunn but when you have Pietrangelo (hopefully), Parayko, Faulk, and then Perunovich on the way, he's not nearly as important. The defense would be fine without him.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Schwartz gets 6 x $6.5M to stay. I don't think Binny or Dunn get a long-term deal though.
Petro will get re-signed.

I’d love to see Schwartz, Petro and Parayko all get extended. It’s possible I guess, since Allen, Bozak, Steen and Perron will all be off the books soon. That’s nearly 20 mill per yr collectively

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Absolutely. Are you? Guy was darn good player most of his career who struggled with adjustment after trade. Not sure why this is so hard for folks to grasp.
You say it will take over year to adjust own game? Play one of the best dmen in NHL (Pietro) and still suck? I understand some may be rusty few weeks in new team, but pro player who has decent hockey IQ can blend in to team and understand gamebook how to play. Like Scandella did. Faulk has been overpaid dmen who has been juggled all around to find spot and eventually he was forced to limited icetime 3rd pair and he doesn't even fit at powerplay what was reason why he was acquired in first place. Faulk is absolute garbage dmen who even get special treatment to get opportunity to play with Pietro majority of time of season and still sucking. Faulk addition forced split every other d-pair and there was time it has affect other dmen performance when you always have to mix up your d-pair partner. Thank God we've such a pro athletics in d-core that they can take juggle time and carry Faulk. There is no words enough to descripe how maddening is to watch his games in Blues. Faulk's stickless play at d-zone makes me head hurt, trying to play physical game is good at least he try, but majority time he did lose those, but at least he tried. Feels like Faulk had one mode in his game, okey today I'm going to play physical and forget this stick what I've hand, play hard like Berube told. To me it tells how unprofessional Faulk is and has low hockey IQ. I don't want to bash him, 'cus we're stuck with him now and he has given chance to prove himself over 60 games and has failed. Now his cap will rise to 6.5mill.$ AAV for year, his performance level should automatically rise too, but cap wise his level is now 2~mill.$ dmen for 3rd pair. Something what Shattenkirk is getting now in Tampa.

I would take 100/100 times Shattenkirk in team than Faulk.

Army should understand now after watching one year Faulk struggle that Faulk isn't right type of player for Blues. He's just offensive player who has really limited skills at defensively. Its really hard to adjust your game when you don't have hockey IQ to do that.

Faulk should now just play limited and sheltered icetime at 3rd pair, play as much a he can at powerplay. Use his best attributes and limited his weakness. It will be hard when player is paid for 6.5mill.$, but that wouldn't damage team that much, but doing that 7-years will be hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad