Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Army sucks. Can’t believe he has only brought us one cup and currently has the 2nd best record in the nhl with their leading scorer out all year. He needs to go. We need somebody like Larry Pleau or Mike Keenan running things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
"Larry you looked at your roster and decided you were missing something, what was that?"

Pleau- "Well we felt we were low on Pascal Rheaume so we acquired him. Again."

Reactions: brokeu91

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was thinking of putting up a "Value of" Justin Faulk on the trade board, but I want to float it by our community here first. I value your opinions. My premise is, that I don't think it's written in stone that Armstrong is committed to Faulk. Armstrong has recognized his mistakes in the past and has tried to correct them, sometimes at a price. Trading Faulk is the easiest way to make room for Alex Pietrangelo, while at the same time, being the most insignificant loss in terms of roster players. I honestly think it is possible that Armstrong is working on trying to find a deal behind the scenes. What I would like to know is :
  • What teams could use a top-four RD like Faulk in his age group
  • What teams have the cap space to afford him.
  • Being that Faulk has a full NTC, he is going to have a say in where he goes. (If anybody has any insider information, I would be grateful!) Where do you think Faulk would accept a trade to?
  • Would the Blues have to accept less than market value for Faulk in a trade? Other GM's know that Armstrong is in a corner here. What would you as fan accept in return? What do you think is a realistic return? OR ...
  • Do the Blues have to pay to move his contract. If so, what kind of sweetener would the Blues have to add?
I look forward to your responses!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In his most recent public comments that included Faulk, Armstrong went out of his way to list Faulk as a member of the “core”. It was surprising in view of Pietro and Parayko. But I actually think it was sincere and that’s how he views it.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
In his most recent public comments that included Faulk, Armstrong went out of his way to list Faulk as a member of the “core”. It was surprising in view of Pietro and Parayko. But I actually think it was sincere and that’s how he views it.
If you are right about Armstrong's sincerity in this statement, then I am just at a loss. I truly, genuinely, do not understand. This is unusual for me, as I am normally a big fan of Armstrong. But, I am not an NHL GM. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If you are right about Armstrong's sincerity in this statement, then I am just at a loss. I truly, genuinely, do not understand. This is unusual for me, as I am normally a big fan of Armstrong. But, I am not an NHL GM. Thanks for your input.
With that contract, how can you call him anything other than a member of the core? Regardless of whether he really believes that or not, it's in his club's best interests to maintain that position publicly, at least until such point that he's able to escape from that albatross of a contract. It may not be Brent Seabrook-level bad today...but Seabrook was a pretty good player until about age 31 when the wheels started coming loose. Now at 35, his $6.875M/yr with FOUR more years remaining is amongst the worst perceived contract in the league today. If Faulk starts to lose mobility at 31-32, his remaining three-to-four years could end up just as ugly, as his cap-hit only saves $375k/yr from Seabrook's. With hockey-IQ not being his strong suit (unlike say, Pietrangelo), once the physical gifs start to diminish I wouldn't want to be anywhere near responsible for that contract.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Faulk has played 70 games here, Armstrong was willing to trade decent assets for him and give him a significant long-term contract. I don't think that 70 games is going to be enough for him to shift his perspective on the player, particularly with the usage.

As for trading him... what contenders can take that contract? If you are Faulk, why would you agree to go from one of the best teams in the League to a mediocre/bad team? That's before we consider his more general location requirements. The list is short to non-existant.

As of now, the contract is too problematic to move. That's not to say that that can't change relatively quickly, or that he wouldn't make a lot of sense for Seattle.

If we're talking about clearing space for Pietrangelo, then it's the likes of Allen, Bozak and Gunnarsson.

Also, we really should be looking at some cap circumvention options to keep Pietrangelo. We won't be, because Armstrong isn't the type and I'm doubtful we're even offering the eight years we should be... but other GM's would be trying to take advantage of the current situation to give us the best possible chances in the short term.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Faulks contract is so bad that actually trading him would require such a big bribe it would hurt us over a long time. I can't imagine a 1st round pick would suffice. I think the best option is to keep him and hope he performs at a consistent decent to good level next year to improve his value. Maybe then we can bribe Seattle to take him. Or buy him out, but that's not something we usually do.

As Alkha said, usual suspects to clear space are Allen, Bozak and Gunnarsson with Dunn as a fail/safe in case we can't trade the former 3 (hopefully it isn't necesarry).

Edit: played around with Capfriendly's armchair GM. Just realised our salarycap issues before the 21/22 season are even bigger then next season:
I'd imagine we will be close to the cap at the start of next season. Before 21/22 Thomas, Binnington, Schwartz, Parayko, Kyrou, Sanford and Barbashev all need new contracts. And they will all ask for more then they're getting now, a lot more. Only Steen's 5.750.000 is going to come off the books (we've already traded Bozak and Allen in this scenario). If we can't get Seattle to take Faulk we might have to make some really unfomfortable trade decisions.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Best case with Faulk is he ups his level of performance to closer to Carolina days, and the Cap eventually goes up making his cap number feel more like 5ish instead of 6.5.

Oh, and he magically becomes left-handed.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Everyone is going to be shaking their heads when Faulk ends up leading the Blues D in points and +/- in the playoffs. :laugh:

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The comments about buying Faulk out are over the top. He is on a team where at his position, there are very few players league-wide who would bump ice time from Parayko or Pietro. What acquisition was going to wow us at RHD? The list is very short. Even if he'd played better, he was still going to be the 3rd guy on the right, or playing his off-side.

I think next season the question is, is he better than Scandella or Dunn on the left? If so, he'll be in the top 4 and getting plenty of minutes. If he can carve out a special teams role, that's adequate.

Part of why ROR's season last year was so impressive is about his quickly he adapted to a new team, system and line-mates to excel. Most players don't look that great in their first season on a new team. Maybe Faulk is one of those guys and maybe he'll look better next year. I think he needs a more well-defined role and partner. Maybe that can happen in camp.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I can't explain it, and it was in an interview setting that was probably not meant to be a rigorous report on his views of the team. But the detail was impossible to ignore. My impression is that it wasn't a manipulative comment made to the media (like as part of Pietro's contract negotiation) but was simply Doug's opinion of how he views the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I bet if we look at previous comments that he's made on the core group of teams, we'd see some players that really weren't core players either. I think we as fans view those groups too rigid, when in reality, the groups are much more fluid. There are some that are locks for staying awhile, but those lists are always much smaller for every team.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You wanna take a bet?
upload_2020-6-3_21-34-28.gif

Reactions: Ranksu

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
And the Conn Smythe of the 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Finals goes to Justin Faulk!
Everyone is going to be shaking their heads when Faulk ends up leading the Blues D in points and +/- in the playoffs. :laugh:

Freaking Schwartz makes this a plausible scenario. I won't complain though.
This would be nice! However, I think he is more likely to be the guy that makes a bad turnover in OT and gets us eliminated.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don’t think TB would ever consider Sergachev for Dunn + Kyrou

I wouldn't want to trade dunn and kyrou for sergachev either.....from a blues standpoint.

Kyrou 2 years from now will be a fixture in our top 6 IMO and most likely be replacing perron and could possibly by that time be an upgrade over what we're getting out of perron as well. sergachev isn't much of an upgrade over dunn imo as an overall player. They're actually very similiar with their strengths and weaknesses. But Dunn has actual toughness and is willing to play physical and even drop the mitts. I prefer that kinda guy both in a city/team like STL and for playoff hockey in general.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What you guys think of Marc-Édouard Vlasic?
Solid, but not what he once was and is vastly overpaid imo.

Tho a change of scenery could be a big boost for a guy like him who knows. zero chance we'd get him tho....unless some wacky trade took place where SJ retains a large chunk of his contract and we offload faulk or allen or bozak or all three etc... etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->