Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not sure how they plan on using Thomas next year, but if there is one thing I'd focus on is getting him a pure shooter. Watching Maroon or Bozak whiff or fumble his slick passes cant go into next season.

I'd like to see if Army could still pluck Hoffman out of Florida if the Panarin thing happens. He's older then I'd like....but he fits the criteria.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure how they plan on using Thomas next year, but if there is one thing I'd focus on is getting him a pure shooter. Watching Maroon or Bozak whiff or fumble his slick passes cant go into next season.

I'd like to see if Army could still pluck Hoffman out of Florida if the Panarin thing happens. He's older then I'd like....but he fits the criteria.
I mean, isn’t the obvious fix here just assuming Thomas doesn’t start next year on Line 3?

I could see Thomas with Schenn and Schwartz or even ROR and Tarasenko.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I mean, isn’t the obvious fix here just assuming Thomas doesn’t start next year on Line 3?

I could see Thomas with Schenn and Schwartz or even ROR and Tarasenko.
Eh, non of those guys have that ability to rifle the puck like Hoffman. Tarasenko is elite but he's a totally different beast. I see them shifting Thomas to center. You can see that he wants freedom to skate wherever he wants

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Eh, non of those guys have that ability to rifle the puck like Hoffman. Tarasenko is elite but he's a totally different beast. I see them shifting Thomas to center. You can see that he wants freedom to skate wherever he wants

I think I’ll be the weird guy who would just try to puck possession teams to death. If you are asking me “Either trade for Hoffman who was a locker room parish in Ottawa” or “Try to sign Zuccarello who is an established locker room leader” I’m targeting Zucc.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I really like this idea. I have to admit, I've spent way too much time during these playoffs wondering how much more effective Thomas could be if he had a pure shooter on his line. I've also spent way too much time wondering if Kyrou could come in next season and take Thomas' place with Bozak and Maroon and be effective.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think I’ll be the weird guy who would just try to puck possession teams to death. If you are asking me “Either trade for Hoffman who was a locker room parish in Ottawa” or “Try to sign Zuccarello who is an established locker room leader” I’m targeting Zucc.
Well I dont see Zuccarello leaving Dallas. And there's enough rumors saying someone will be the oddman out in Florida. Hoffman a pending UFA(iirc) and was shopped at the TDL.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really like this idea. I have to admit, I've spent way too much time during these playoffs wondering how much more effective Thomas could be if he had a pure shooter on his line. I've also spent way too much time wondering if Kyrou could come in next season and take Thomas' place with Bozak and Maroon and be effective.
Yep, that line has been great but there's been a few missed chances due to a lack of skill.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
For cap purposes moving Allen's contract is an important goal.

Take what you can get (2nd round pick?) and open up cap space just like moving Berglund, Sobotka, Lehtera, et al

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Take what you can get (2nd round pick?) and open up cap space just like moving Berglund, Sobotka, Lehtera, et al

The Blues can keep the team in tact(including Maroon) At least not this summerwithout moving anyone but Gunnar(and good #7 Dmen are not hard to find).

Moving Allen allows us to get an upgrade up front. And while that is certainly something we should be thinking about(I think that you ideally want to go into next year with Sunny in the bottom 6), I don’t know if it really qualifies as “important”.

I am 100% in favor of moving Allen simply because I don’t want the distraction around the team; but it isn’t something that we “have to do”. At least not this summer.

The bigger issues this summer are the Petro/ Schenn extensions and whether we want to hand Kyrou a spot or make him work for it. The Allen situation is a distraction(and distractions are never good) but it isn’t a real problem. Move him if a decent move is there, but don’t pay someone to take him. He isn’t that much of a problem.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Depending on what Binnington gets it may not be that crucial to move Allens contract. He's actually a pretty good backup.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Kinkaid was traded for a 2022 5th.

Grubauer and Orpik were traded for a 2018 2nd.

Both are better than Allen. You're completely off the mark if you think Allen is worth more than a 4th, from a desperate team given the UFA goalie market of

Bob
Varly
Smith
Talbot
Ward
Kinkaid
Elliott
Neuvirth
Nilsson
Lehner
Mrazek
McElhinney

While some are worse tenders than Allen, there's no way we get a 2nd with these candidates available for no asset cost.

Reactions: Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we're talking about moving Allen then the win will be not eating any of the contract, or not giving up assets, to make it happen.

Our cap situation for next season is absolutely fine, we should have a lot of space left after signing our RFA's. I'd still expect Armstrong to be trying to move Allen & Steen, but I don't think there will be any urgency.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Kyrou has a really good one-timer. He could end up complimenting Thomas's play.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Does a Cup win make STL more desirable to UFA? Certainly can’t hurt. You may be able to fill a hole via free agency that otherwise would have required a trade for another guy.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Does a Cup win make STL more desirable to UFA? Certainly can’t hurt. You may be able to fill a hole via free agency that otherwise would have required a trade for another guy.
Even just the second half of the season, the run to the Conference Finals and not losing any of our players is enough to make the team more desirable. The more progress we make from here then the easier the sell becomes.

The thing with the UFA market is that Armstrong doesn't offer the term that other GM's do, and that will always make it more difficult to compete.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Even just the second half of the season, the run to the Conference Finals and not losing any of our players is enough to make the team more desirable. The more progress we make from here then the easier the sell becomes.

The thing with the UFA market is that Armstrong doesn't offer the term that other GM's do, and that will always make it more difficult to compete.
I think more guys want to play for Berube than wanted to play for Hitchcock or Yeo. Its got to factor in a bit too.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Well I dont see Zuccarello leaving Dallas. And there's enough rumors saying someone will be the oddman out in Florida. Hoffman a pending UFA(iirc) and was shopped at the TDL.

Keep in mind Dallas has to weigh signing Zucc also includes if he stays in Dallas the 3rd they are giving up in 2020 turns into a 1st. Zucc might wanna stay in Dallas but Dallas has reason to look elsewhere.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Keep in mind Dallas has to weigh signing Zucc also includes if he stays in Dallas the 3rd they are giving up in 2020 turns into a 1st. Zucc might wanna stay in Dallas but Dallas has reason to look elsewhere.
I dont disagree but Nill is Nill....

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
We are soft enough as it is. I want no part of Jordan Eberle. There are better RW's out there on July 1. Zuccarello, Nyquist, Smith-Pelly, even Simmonds. Heck, I'd take a flyer on Brouwer before Eberle!

Lol, you can't be serious saying we're to soft and adding Simmonds or Smith-Pelly would benefit us alot

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This post makes absolutely no sense. You complain that the Blues are “soft” and then your first suggested player is one of the smallest, softest players in the league??? Brouwer has been a horrific player for 5 years and you’d rather have that than a consistent 20 goal scorer? I don’t want Eberle, but he’s sure help us a hell of a lot more than Brouwer, Simmonds, or DSP would.
How you can call Zuccarello "soft", especially after watching the last series, is beyond me. Small, absolutely. Soft, lol no!

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
If we're talking about moving Allen then the win will be not eating any of the contract, or not giving up assets, to make it happen.

Our cap situation for next season is absolutely fine, we should have a lot of space left after signing our RFA's. I'd still expect Armstrong to be trying to move Allen & Steen, but I don't think there will be any urgency.

Trying to understand how the Blues look with next year's cap. Seems like it's very tight.

Next year they save $1.2 million on Bouwmeester, $2.9 million if Gunnarson leaves. That's an extra $4.1 million.

But there's a large group that have to get raises - Maroon (UFA) and a bunch of RFAs - Binnington, Sundqvkist, Edmundson the priorities. Those four guys will need more than the $4.1 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad