Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If he comes cheap, maybe. Who do you give up for him? Maybe a Sanford or Blais kind of player? I don't know what his value is.
That's probably his value just now, the only reason I can see him being available is that he is a bit of an odd man out there. If the rumours about issues between Kostin and the organisation are true, which I don't really buy, then I suppose something around Kostin could make sense. We'd need to see him as a legit NHL option to go down that road, but he played enough games for Carolina to get an idea of that.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
That's probably his value just now, the only reason I can see him being available is that he is a bit of an odd man out there. If the rumours about issues between Kostin and the organisation are true, which I don't really buy, then I suppose something around Kostin could make sense. We'd need to see him as a legit NHL option to go down that road, but he played enough games for Carolina to get an idea of that.
I would rather explore a trade of Puljujarvi for Kostin rather than Fluery for Kostin. I think Kostin has more value than Fluery at this point, seeing as he looks to be the odd man out. I would consider a swap of Schmaltz+ for Fluery though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would rather explore a trade of Puljujarvi for Kostin rather than Fluery for Kostin. I think Kostin has more value than Fluery at this point, seeing as he looks to be the odd man out. I would consider a swap of Schmaltz+ for Fluery though.
Schmaltz has less than zero value.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Schmaltz has less than zero value.

Especially to an organization that strong on the blue line. Carolina has an embarrassment of wealth on the back end. A reclamation project that isn't waiver exempt is useless to them.

Reactions: Alklha and Blueston

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I wonder if Haydn Fleury could be had for cheap from Carolina. He loses his waiver exemption and right now he'd be in a battle to make the Carolina roster with a couple of their other quality defensive prospects. The market seems focused on RHD, and if we aren't comfortable with what Edmundson is looking for then Fleury could be a replacement.
I like this idea. But, i am also one that wants to move on from Eddy this offseason.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think Puljujärvi for Kostin would make much sense. It would also require also moving one of Blais, Sanford or Fabbri to open a roster spot, and Puljujärvi has shown himself to be problematic when he isn't getting what he wants. So a waiver exempt player for a waiver eligible forward would create a headache. Still, any move for Fleury would only make sense if we decided to move on from Edmundson.

If we're having problems with Kostin, as some are speculating, then I'm not sure he would have too much value.
Especially to an organization that strong on the blue line. Carolina has an embarrassment of wealth on the back end. A reclamation project that isn't waiver exempt is useless to them.
Edit: Totally misread your post.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don't think Puljujärvi for Kostin would make much sense. It would also require also moving one of Blais, Sanford or Fabbri to open a roster spot, and Puljujärvi has shown himself to be problematic when he isn't getting what he wants. So a waiver exempt player for a waiver eligible forward would create a headache. Still, any move for Fleury would only make sense if we decided to move on from Edmundson.

If we're having problems with Kostin, as some are speculating, then I'm not sure he would have too much value.

I wouldn't describe him as a reclamation project. He's not 23 yet and he's had almost 100 NHL games, admittedly taking a step back this season. He's good enough for the roster, it's just whether he's still in 7th Dman territory or not.

While he might not be in their plans due to their wealth of talent on defense, I'm sure other teams will be interested.

I can understand not wanting to move Kostin though.
He was referring to Schmaltz

Reactions: Alklha

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I wouldn't describe him as a reclamation project. He's not 23 yet and he's had almost 100 NHL games, admittedly taking a step back this season. He's good enough for the roster, it's just whether he's still in 7th Dman territory or not.

While he might not be in their plans due to their wealth of talent on defense, I'm sure other teams will be interested.

I don’t know that I agree that Schmaltz is “good enough for the roster”.

Army went out and got Del Zotto at the deadline as the #8, Butler was clearly ahead of him on the depth chart and given that Reinke was in the box during game 7 instead of Schmaltz, it is pretty clear that he’s not considered one of our top 9 guys.

Schmaltz needs to be on the NHL roster given his contract and age; but he has yet to actually prove that he belongs there. He might have a better showing on a team with less depth; but for the Blues, he dropped way down the depth chart this year to the point where I really can’t see him having any kind of future here. Right now, he either needs traded or he’ll end up going the group VI UFA route.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don’t know that I agree that Schmaltz is “good enough for the roster”.

Army went out and got Del Zotto at the deadline as the #8, Butler was clearly ahead of him on the depth chart and given that Reinke was in the box during game 7 instead of Schmaltz, it is pretty clear that he’s not considered one of our top 9 guys.

Schmaltz needs to be on the NHL roster given his contract and age; but he has yet to actually prove that he belongs there. He might have a better showing on a team with less depth; but for the Blues, he dropped way down the depth chart this year to the point where I really can’t see him having any kind of future here. Right now, he either needs traded or he’ll end up going the group VI UFA route.
Yeah, I completely misread the post and thought it was about Fleury.

Agree with you, Schmaltz isn't good enough for the roster.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If Schenn thinks that he has a chance for prolonged success in St.Louis it's very possible he takes a discount. Same for Petro. I think both will take team friendly deals.

Reactions: brokeu91

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If Schenn thinks that he has a chance for prolonged success in St.Louis it's very possible he takes a discount. Same for Petro. I think both will take team friendly deals.
I hope so, but it depends on how the discount would work. He'll be at the age where he knows it's his last big contract. I wouldn't be surprised if the discount was a "free" 8th season, which brings the cap down. Like if he looks at UFA and wants $52.5m over seven years in the right spot, but would sign here for $52.5m over eight. Drops the cap hit by almost a million, adds a year where he likely wouldn't be getting a high salary anyway and there is always the LTIR possibility. He still gets the money, but we're having to give uncomfortable term.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So, what did I miss? When did Reinke become our best defensive prospect on the RHD? And what happened to Schmaltz?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Nice, I lost track of a lot of hockey stuff on deployment, I've been super confused the past few days about Reinke, lol.
Ha, no worries - he kind of came out of nowhere. He projects more as a 3rd pairing PP guy who can move the puck, but those guys are valuable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad