Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If the Pens get eliminated early and make changes this off season would anyone be interested in Kessel? I'm not sure if his contract status but assuming he came cheap enough does he get paid to much to fit our team or is he to old? I mean he just had a PPG season after all. Throw him on wing with Thomas centering.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
If the Pens get eliminated early and make changes this off season would anyone be interested in Kessel? I'm not sure if his contract status but assuming he came cheap enough does he get paid to much to fit our team or is he to old? I mean he just had a PPG season after all. Throw him on wing with Thomas centering.
I wouldn't be. The cap hit makes it tough to re-sign Pietrangelo and Schenn unless we clear out a lot of money elsewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a sharp decline before it ends.

Forgot about the retained salary, but looking at his defensive stats makes it an even bigger no from me.

Last edited:

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
3 more years at 6.8, if he comes cheap enough we could prolly make that work. But more than likely other teams could beat our offer.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I would absolutely do something around Fabbri+Steen+ for him. I’d bet Steen would be down to finish his career with Crosby and Malkin.

Kessel also has great chemistry with Bozak, so we’d be able to run 4 very, very good lines.

Schenn-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Perron
(Maroon/Ferland?)-Bozak-Kessel
Blais-Barbashev-Sundqvist

Kyrou and hopefully Kostin will be injury call ups

Last edited:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I do like Kessel and think he gets a bad rap around the league but I think he would have to be an after thought behind Petro and Schenn, that and the fact that he had 92 in 20018 and 82 points this year

let me be the first to state Steen and Fabbri does not get you Kessel even at age 32, the plus on those two would be the biggest piece and not a small add.

I mean he would be our highest point player, he is not some small add

Reactions: STLomacneko

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't think Kessel is the worst guy in the world to target, but I really want us to go out and get an experienced shoot first winger to pair with Thomas next year. I've seen 2019-20 lineups proposed with Schwartz and Perron on Thomas' wings and I just don't think either of those guys gets the most out of Thomas' creativity and vision. If he's going to step into a larger role next season, we need to find him a guy that will get the most out of what he brings to the lineup. Unless you're putting him with 91, I don't think that guy is on the roster ATM.

If Kessel was the guy we bring in, I wouldn't want to pair him with Bozak.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I get a bad vibe with Kessel. His advanced stats are brutal and he seems so lazy in the defensive zone. But somehow he puts up PPG numbers so what do I know.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don't think Kessel is the worst guy in the world to target, but I really want us to go out and get an experienced shoot first winger to pair with Thomas next year. I've seen 2019-20 lineups proposed with Schwartz and Perron on Thomas' wings and I just don't think either of those guys gets the most out of Thomas' creativity and vision. If he's going to step into a larger role next season, we need to find him a guy that will get the most out of what he brings to the lineup. Unless you're putting him with 91, I don't think that guy is on the roster ATM.

If Kessel was the guy we bring in, I wouldn't want to pair him with Bozak.
Why? He played with Bozak in Toronto and that's about the time Kessel was close to hitting 40 goals. To have that kind of potential in 2 players, as well as a former teammate of Kessel's, plus a great passer in Thomas, I don't see why that line couldn't score points. It's not like Maroon is a force in the defensive zone either, and Kessel is a much faster player than him who has a great shot. Maroon's board play and puck possession are great and we are seeing that here in the playoffs, but if the Pens have to trade him and you can get him cheap with retained money, I don't see why you don't entertain that.

Reactions: Blueston

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I really don’t want to pay the price Pit will want for Kessel but he might be the best option to improve the offense.

The other options are to clear the space to go after Duchene or Skinner(and Skinner will require an overpayment to pry him away from the East Coast). I don’t think that it would be difficult to clear that space, but it would require an extra move that may not be there(Allen or Steen would have to go and I don’t know that either really has a market; that or we sell low on Schwartz).

But whatever we do, the scoring needs to be the top priority this summer. You can’t go into next season with Perron being the best player beyond the top line(nothing against David but I think we all know that he is a complimentary player and not a core peice). There has to be an established finisher added to the mix.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Kessel? Skinner? Really? What is with one-dimensional offense being the answer to this teams needs?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
What is Schwartz gonna bring us at the draft?

2nd round pick tops?

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
What else is available?

Teams aren't going to trade us a Benn or Marchand.
I'd like to see us kick the tires on Burakovsky. I know he has been a disappointment in the eyes of the potential/expectations he had, but he has also been stuck behind a logjam of offensively gifted players and is still only 24 and could benefit from a change of scenery.

I'm not sure what the asking price would be for him, but given our recent transaction partnership with Washington and essentially gifting them Oshie to help them win a cup, maybe it would be reasonable. If we are looking at Thomas as a full-time center next year he needs to be playing with another creative skilled player with more offensive upside than Maroon or Bozak.

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Hayes is a third line player, so no I dont want him.

Zuccarello is a good player and would be a fantastic replacement if they move out Schwartz.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Kessel? Skinner? Really? What is with one-dimensional offense being the answer to this teams needs?
I've been of the opinion for a long time that one more sniper would do this team wonders. Particularly someone with a one-timer, our PP would be light years better with atleast a THREAT of a one-time shot. We have plenty of guys who can score conventional goals and clean-up goals, but other than tank who can look the other goalie dead in the eyes and still beat him.... no one. So one dimensional or not, i think another sniper/scorer would go a long way especially in the playoffs with goals at a premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad