Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
My personal preference runs to keeping Allen another year, as the backup to Binnington from day 1, and seeing if there's a market for him next summer with 1 year left on his contract.

Allen's play in the backup role has been respectable - I'd think he continues to post decent numbers next year and may hold limited value in trades as opposed to the negative value he has right now.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I have previously said that Allen needs to be moved in the summer, but my position on that has relaxed.

If the opportunity arises to move him? Take it as fast as possible, but don't retain/pay to make it happen.

My worry about keeping Allen centred around an expectation that we'll push him into the #1 role again, sooner or later. Binnington starting game 4, despite a rough game 3 and Allen playing well down the stretch, has eased that fear.

The other concern was having an inexperienced goalie and Allen as the goalies next season could result in what we seen at the start of this season. The more I see of Binnington, the less of a concern that is. He appears to have the mentality to be able to handle adversity.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I would be interested Mackenzie Blackwood. Doubt he is available.

Someone would like a word with you!

2huhHsJ.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m not bothered by Allen’s contract. Period. The luxury of having Binnington means the Blues can pay Allen the last 2 years even if he functions purely as a back-up. He has good numbers for an NHL back-up.

Binnington needs a seasoned back-up. Allen is a great fit there. Just squint and pretend their salaries are swapped and you don’t have to worry about it anymore (including the projected RFA contract for Binnington’s next 2 years).

I’m shocked there are people here who think the Blues in the middle of their competitive window (right now) should take on such a dead weight contract as Neal. It’s an albatross. Where do you even play him? The player drafted with that first likely won’t even contribute with this window! It’s a move that is out of tempo with the way this team is built.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’m not bothered by Allen’s contract. Period. The luxury of having Binnington means the Blues can pay Allen the last 2 years even if he functions purely as a back-up. He has good numbers for an NHL back-up.

Binnington needs a seasoned back-up. Allen is a great fit there. Just squint and pretend their salaries are swapped and you don’t have to worry about it anymore (including the projected RFA contract for Binnington’s next 2 years).

I’m shocked there are people here who think the Blues in the middle of their competitive window (right now) should take on such a dead weight contract as Neal. It’s an albatross. Where do you even play him? The player drafted with that first likely won’t even contribute with this window! It’s a move that is out of tempo with the way this team is built.
I see your points. I was just tempted by the idea of getting back into the 1st round. I agree trading for Neal would be a bad idea.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
With Binny, it definitely helps everyone's confidence to have Allen backing him up. I mean, Allen can't keep the job to save his life, so Binnington should feel even more secure than he does normally.

Reactions: Snake Plissken

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I wonder what we’d have to give up to get a Fowler+Rakell package from Anaheim.

They both had down years by their standards, but we need to improve our LD and we need a RHS goal scorer for our PP badly.

Would Schenn+Edmundson+Blais/Sanford+pick work?

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Rakell
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou
Steen-Barbashev-Sundqvist

Fowler-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Reinke/Del Zotto?

Binnington
Allen/TBA

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

They both had down years by their standards, but we need to improve our LD and we need a RHS goal scorer for our PP badly.

Schwartz-Thomas-Rakell
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou

Fowler-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Reinke/Del Zotto?

Binnington
Allen/TBA
I would do that in an instance. Rakell is a great player and Fowler would be an amazing partner for Pietro.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Schwartz-Thomas-Rakell
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou

Fowler-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Reinke/Del Zotto?

Binnington
Allen/TBA

Why would Anaheim do that? Schenn is clearly the best piece but Rakell is arguably more valuable or at least a push. Rakell is younger and has 3 more years at $3.79M. Schenn has 1 year @ $5.125. He'd need to have an agreed upon extension in place, but that would be at least $6-7M range. Rakell's down year, he still had 50+ point pace. The last 3 years Rakell put up 163 points in 217 games for a .751 P/gm pace vs Schenn with 179 points over 233 games for a .768 pace. Basically Schenn is a little more durable and a puts up a very slightly better p/gm pace (1.4 points over 82 games). But Rakell is more of a goal scorer. He has 15 more goals over that span, with the lesser games played. So younger, cheaper, better goal scorer and more term probably gives him more value.

Fowler is clearly better than Edmundson who is coming off of a terrible year. Even if we go with last year's Eddy, Fowler is clearly better. Fowler is more expensive, but he has plenty of term and is signed for a decent value contract given that is is a good top pair #2D man vs Eddy who is a fine 2nd pairing guy when on his game.

So we push one roster player and win big on the other. We don't have a first this year. I doubt we want to trade our first next year. Does Blais/Sanford and a 2nd really make up that difference? Neither Blais or Sanford can continually crack our lineup and they aren't super young @23 and 24 entering next year. Why does Anaheim downgrade at D for a couple long shots? They no longer have the great depth at D, they have had as they traded a few pieces. Its all guys with less than 50 NHL games after Lindholm, Fowler and Montour. Why get older in your top 6, when they should be rebuilding/retooling?

Reactions: sfvega

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Schwartz-Thomas-Rakell
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou

Fowler-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Reinke/Del Zotto?

Binnington
Allen/TBA
We'll only be able to protect three defensemen at the expansion draft so unless we plan on letting Petro walk that doesn't really make sense. Also don't think Schenn would want to sign an extension in Anaheim before ever playing there.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I doubt they'd move Rakell, but I've said that about Montour and they shipped him out. I think the rub would be Schenn would need to be re-signed, and he's gonna warrant some sizeable money. And he's kind of an oddly aged player for them to grab. Wouldn't they rather have a cheaper, younger player in Rakell? Because they're a little up against the cap with Perry and Getz contracts and Silf re-signed. Fowler I don't think is anything special, but they'd want something better than Eddy who is playing like a 7th D and one of our interchangable 4th liners. I think the add in that deal, unless Schenn takes a below-market contract, is a 1st. And as much as I'd love to upgrade D, we need to stop dealing 1sts eventually. The cupboard is already pretty bare. I just don't think we're good partners for them. They could easily get better offers from other teams. I'd still love to deal Schenn to Boston for one of their young LD.

Reactions: 4TheHullOfIt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad