Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As for who we'd get, I will admit that I'm not knowledgable enough about stuff like cap issues etc to come up with a viable suggestion .

I will admit that I will reconsider the Tarasenko thing. He might develop a fine partnership with ROR, so I'll stay patient there.

But our D needs work, a lot of it. It's not as good as we think it is.

Yeo is for sure a big part of the problem and I want him out. But Pietrangelo is not the guy to build it around. That is Joel or even Parayko.

You say that Pietrangelo is not the guy to build around and then you name 2 guys that are worse than him that we should build around.

Considering the amount of ice time and power play time he's logged for a long time, he should put more points on the board than 45-50 to be considered elite by that metric.

And he has no points in 5 games so far .

Since 2010, he has the 7th most points out of all defenseman. What defenseman do you consider elite at producing points?

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
This organization has had plenty of legit #1 defensemen. Pronger, MacInnis, Scott Stevens etc etc etc. Pietrangelo isn't fit to lace those guys' skates.

He's basically Jeff Brown.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
This organization has had plenty of legit #1 defensemen. Pronger, MacInnis, Scott Stevens etc etc etc. Pietrangelo isn't fit to lace those guys' skates.

You're confusing #1 defensemen with Hall of Fame defensemen. No wonder Pietrangelo isn't a #1 in your eyes, there's only been like 40 defenseman inducted into the Hall of Fame since the Blues' inception. We've been extremely lucky to have even those 3, and Stevens was only here for like a year.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
You're confusing #1 defensemen with Hall of Fame defensemen. No wonder Pietrangelo isn't a #1 in your eyes, there's only been like 40 defenseman inducted into the Hall of Fame since the Blues' inception. We've been extremely lucky to have even those 3, and Stevens was only here for like a year.

Yeah that's a fair point.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Parayko is a good # 2 option as a defenseman, but Petro is a legit #1 and has been for years. If you trade him, you better get a top 10 playmaking center OR another elite defenseman, but that is a rather moot point because you already have an elite defenseman. Petro may not be captain material, but I don't know if anyone on this team is really "captain material." Regardless of that, there's no reason to trade anyone currently, as our problems now are within the coaching staff. Whether they fix the current problems is up to them, but there's no reason for them to have a below top 10 pp, pk, defense, or offense.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
:laugh::laugh::laugh: you dont have to have a niche skill to be a top 10 dman. He puts in the minutes, puts up the points, and he draws heavy competition.

He's not having a good year, but you'll get lonely on that Island of one if you think he's not a number 1.
I don't like Petro. Never have, but he is a #1 defenseman. I would love to have a different #1, as I don't think you can win with a megasoft defender. He is off to a terrible start this year. He is doing his best Bill Houlder impersonation, and he needs to stop. Our D will stop and start with how well he plays. need him to show up.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Pietrangelo is fine as a #1D, he's a top 10 d in the league. The issue is Allen. Try and sucker some team by Trading Allen + two 2nds or a 2nd and a third for future considerations or something like that. Just get him off this team.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
I don't like Petro. Never have, but he is a #1 defenseman. I would love to have a different #1, as I don't think you can win with a megasoft defender. He is off to a terrible start this year. He is doing his best Bill Houlder impersonation, and he needs to stop. Our D will stop and start with how well he plays. need him to show up.

Actually, I'll revise my position as I found myself agreeing with this post and the one earlier by High Note. I may be wrong on a lot of things but I'm not a fool who cannot change his mind .

He is a #1 defenseman, but I want a different one. One that's not soft as a sponge and doesn't get bullied (like the Benn incident last season).

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Actually, I'll revise my position as I found myself agreeing with this post and the one earlier by High Note. I may be wrong on a lot of things but I'm not a fool who cannot change his mind .

He is a #1 defenseman, but I want a different one. One that's not soft as a sponge and doesn't get bullied (like the Benn incident last season).
Who would you want that's better and how would you get him?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Well if this is the case, then who would you like to get that matches your description? Because your description just eliminated guys like Hedman, Karlsson, Subban, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Lindholm, and Letang. Hell, your description just threw out Dahlin, Heiskanen, Jones, McAvoy, and plenty of other young up-and-coming defensemen that look to become top-10 defensemen in the future.

Pietrangelo is a damn good defenseman, one of the best in the league. To suddenly as for one that does all that he does while also having the ability to play some heavy, physical game is asking a player that may not even exist. The only player that I can think of that can come close to what you want is Doughty. First off, Doughty isn't going anywhere unless we add something to Pietrangelo that wouldn't make the trade worth it. Second, that's one player in the entire world of hockey that has the same scoring acumen, defensive ability, and can play a physical game.

This is the reason trading Pietro makes no sense. It's just damn near impossible to find a Pronger at all, let alone in a hockey world that is trying to reduce the physical game.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
Guys, I'm glad I put what I did out there, because it led to a series of questions I hadn't really given much thought about, I was challenged. And as I've said before, I'm revising position because of it.

I'd still like to get rid of him, but I realise it's very unrealistic, maybe even illogical. It will be interesting to see what happens when he's due a new contract (which isn't far off right?).

If nothing else, I feel educated on the matter, and that's not a bad result.

I still don't like him though. :)

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
Guys, I'm glad I put what I did out there, because it led to a series of questions I hadn't really given much thought about, I was challenged. And as I've said before, I'm revising position because of it.

I'd still like to get rid of him, but I realise it's very unrealistic, maybe even illogical. It will be interesting to see what happens when he's due a new contract (which isn't far off right?).

If nothing else, I feel educated on the matter, and that's not a bad result.

I still don't like him though. :)

He will be a UFA in 2020-21.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

So you want Drew Doughty? Or maybe Zdeno Chara if we hop in the time machine a few years back. That's pretty much the only players in the league who fits your criteria. Guys can't and don't play like Pronger anymore. If they do they get suspended every time they touch the ice. The game has switched to moving the puck up the ice, which is what Petro excels at. He's had a rough start to the year, but he's among the very best at his position and is only being paid 6.5M which is a huge steal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well if this is the case, then who would you like to get that matches your description? Because your description just eliminated guys like Hedman, Karlsson, Subban, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Lindholm, and Letang. Hell, your description just threw out Dahlin, Heiskanen, Jones, McAvoy, and plenty of other young up-and-coming defensemen that look to become top-10 defensemen in the future.

Pietrangelo is a damn good defenseman, one of the best in the league. To suddenly as for one that does all that he does while also having the ability to play some heavy, physical game is asking a player that may not even exist. The only player that I can think of that can come close to what you want is Doughty. First off, Doughty isn't going anywhere unless we add something to Pietrangelo that wouldn't make the trade worth it. Second, that's one player in the entire world of hockey that has the same scoring acumen, defensive ability, and can play a physical game.

This is the reason trading Pietro makes no sense. It's just damn near impossible to find a Pronger at all, let alone in a hockey world that is trying to reduce the physical game.
Eh that list isn't necessarily true. A lot of those guys play with a lot more of an edge than Petro. Like Subban, Letang, McAvoy, Hedman, etc.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Eh that list isn't necessarily true. A lot of those guys play with a lot more of an edge than Petro. Like Subban, Letang, McAvoy, Hedman, etc.
Right, there is a middle ground. Guys here are in that category. They aren't Pronger, but they also aren't ever going to win a Lady Byng. Petro is like Josi or Vlasic. They are very much finesse type defenders. That's not really an issue that as that's what Lidstrom was.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think Petro is soft but his skill is there. I also think Parayko is softer and not as skilled. If I could get a cross between Eddy and Petro I would be so happy. ( Or Pronger and Parayko )

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Petro is soft but his skill is there. I also think Parayko is softer and not as skilled. If I could get a cross between Eddy and Petro I would be so happy. ( Or Pronger and Parayko )
There's no way Parayko is softer than Pietrangelo. He throws the body wayyy more, it's not close.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Well if it that's the case, then I misunderstood the question. From what I understood, he wanted a guy with a more defined edge compared to the league. Sure, you can pick players and give a relative degree for how much more "edge" they have over Pietrangelo. However, if the question is for a top-10 defenseman with an edge that is higher than that of at least half the league, then I would say all of the guys I listed don't fit into that group. I would not say Letang has a physical edge that is higher than half the league, or in other words, above average. Like I said, Doughty is the only player that comes to mind. It should be stated that those players are the players the coaches wish not to be super physical because that leads to a higher chance of penalties, meaning they go off the ice more often.

I'm sure someone will throw some physical stat after this post to disprove me, which is fine. I'm just basing this off my impression of the players, not what the analytics have to say.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Right, there is a middle ground. Guys here are in that category. They aren't Pronger, but they also aren't ever going to win a Lady Byng. Petro is like Josi or Vlasic. They are very much finesse type defenders. That's not really an issue that as that's what Lidstrom was.
I watched Lidstrom from rookie year until his last game. Petro is by far softer than Lidstrom. He didn’t hesitate to body out players along the boards. He wasn’t just a stick checker. In my opinion, best d man to lace them up period. Not a bruiser, but not an ice dancer either. See Phil Housely. Petro is the softest d man in the nhl. Has been for years, but one of the best stick checkers ever. Hopefully, he isn’t slowing down. That could mean a lesser role.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Hey Blues fans,

I know it's Eklund, buttt there was an interesting tidbit he put up today:
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Could Bob Drop the Jacket and Just be a Blue? Buzz@1

Basically that Bobrovsky could be a target for the Blues. I could see this being the missing piece, he's a Vezina caliber goalie going to a team who really needs goaltending. Its rumored that he wants quite a big contract and is at odds with CLB management.

But what would be a fair deal? What would the blues give up? Bob is a UFA.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Since you seem to be such an expert on defensemen, why don't you make a list of D-men who ARE "fit t lace those guys' skates." Kind of unrealistic to expect Petro to be at that level, isn't it?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hey Blues fans,

Basically that Bobrovsky could be a target for the Blues. I could see this being the missing piece, he's a Vezina caliber goalie going to a team who really needs goaltending. Its rumored that he wants quite a big contract and is at odds with CLB management.

Nothing because it's not realistic. Blues have to move out Allen, pay to move Allen, then move out Gunnarsson or Boumeester, and most likely have to pay to get rid of them. Armstrong has been burned once on a goalie trade, he's not going to pay a premium again. Bob's next contract is going to be too expensive on top of that. He'd be a pure rental.

Our issues go deeper then our goalies

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hey Blues fans,

Bobrovsky to STL can't and won't happen. It's pointless to speculate about what they'd give up, because (1) after the Miller trade I can't see Army going that route, (2) the price-tag would be more than STL could swallow, and (3) there's no way the Blues are fitting in $8M/year (or more) on goalie unless they trade a couple of big contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce