Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Hey Blues fans,

I know it's Eklund, buttt there was an interesting tidbit he put up today:
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Could Bob Drop the Jacket and Just be a Blue? Buzz@1

Basically that Bobrovsky could be a target for the Blues. I could see this being the missing piece, he's a Vezina caliber goalie going to a team who really needs goaltending. Its rumored that he wants quite a big contract and is at odds with CLB management.

But what would be a fair deal? What would the blues give up? Bob is a UFA.

Columbus would have to be willing to take on Allen for starters. Allen is signed for 2 years beyond this year. I could possibly see a franchise that needs to rebuild taking on Allen in some kind of trade but it's hard to fathom why Columbus would do so. I'd love to see Bob on the Blues over Allen but it doesn't seem logical.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
Since you seem to be such an expert on defensemen, why don't you make a list of D-men who ARE "fit t lace those guys' skates." Kind of unrealistic to expect Petro to be at that level, isn't it?

If you had continued reading instead of hitting reply in the red mist, you'd seen that I have changed my stance quite considerably .

Thanks.

Reactions: Houli

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Hey Blues fans,

Basically that Bobrovsky could be a target for the Blues. I could see this being the missing piece, he's a Vezina caliber goalie going to a team who really needs goaltending. Its rumored that he wants quite a big contract and is at odds with CLB management.

Bob's cap hit is $7.425M for this season. Even if we move Gunnarsson and Allen ($7.250), we still would have to clear a tiny bit more cap as we are pressed right against the wall. Those two are caps dumps and Allen has term as a cap dump. So that drives the price up even more. Columbus probably wants guys that fit the age group of their core, of low-to-mid 20s (PLD, Wennberg, Werenski, Jones, Murray, Jenner, Nuutivaara, Korpisalo). The only 26+ year olds they have getting significant ice-time (15+) are Panarin (soon to be gone), Savard, Foligno and Atkinson.

We just don't have anyone in that range that is that valuable and expendable. Maybe Dunn, but with the upcoming loss of Panarin and a solid top 5 D with 3 lefties, they are probably looking for forward help more than LD. So we are looking at Thomas, Kyrou, Blias and Barbashev. I doubt the latter two are that appealing and the former two are too much. So I don't see a deal that meets both teams needs.

And that doesn't even get into the question of whether Bob would re-sign here or how much he'd cost if he did. He is likely looking to test free agency and get a Price level contract. With raises to Edmundson, potentially Fabbri next year, and Petro, Schenn the year after, we can't give out $10M goalie contract.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If you had continued reading instead of hitting reply in the red mist, you'd seen that I have changed my stance quite considerably .

Thanks.

My apologies, the mist is pretty thick right now. Petro certainly has his weaknesses and it would be nice if he played "tougher" but he is who he is at this point. He could probably get a little dirtier at times, but no one should expect him to play the style of game that Pronger, MacInnis, etc. played.

I know it's been a frustrating few games, probably Petro's worst streak in years. But that doesn't cancel out the past few years, when Petro has been highly touted around the league for what he does. For several years, we had one of the lowest goals allowed per game in the whole league with Petro playing top minutes. So let's not get carried away based on 5 games.

Reactions: Houli

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
This organization has had plenty of legit #1 defensemen. Pronger, MacInnis, Scott Stevens etc etc etc. Pietrangelo isn't fit to lace those guys' skates.

He's basically Jeff Brown.
Jeff Brown’s shot was up there with big Al’s and he could put it on goal too. Not a defensive whiz, which Petro is. I would put him up there with those 3 and Rob Ramage.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Bob's cap hit is $7.425M for this season. Even if we move Gunnarsson and Allen ($7.250), we still would have to clear a tiny bit more cap as we are pressed right against the wall. Those two are caps dumps and Allen has term as a cap dump. So that drives the price up even more. Columbus probably wants guys that fit the age group of their core, of low-to-mid 20s (PLD, Wennberg, Werenski, Jones, Murray, Jenner, Nuutivaara, Korpisalo). The only 26+ year olds they have getting significant ice-time (15+) are Panarin (soon to be gone), Savard, Foligno and Atkinson.

We just don't have anyone in that range that is that valuable and expendable. Maybe Dunn, but with the upcoming loss of Panarin and a solid top 5 D with 3 lefties, they are probably looking for forward help more than LD. So we are looking at Thomas, Kyrou, Blias and Barbashev. I doubt the latter two are that appealing and the former two are too much. So I don't see a deal that meets both teams needs.

And that doesn't even get into the question of whether Bob would re-sign here or how much he'd cost if he did. He is likely looking to test free agency and get a Price level contract. With raises to Edmundson, potentially Fabbri next year, and Petro, Schenn the year after, we can't give out $10M goalie contract.

Good post...yeah I was thinking Kyrou, since Allen would have to be going back, but then without an extension on bob the cap situation gets dicey, yes. So likely a no-go.

I just don't see Jake Allen as consistent enough to be the goalie for a good playoff team. Would you target another goalie and who? Ride it out with Allen?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Hey Blues fans,

I would think the framework would have to start around something cap neutral, like Allen ++ for Bobrovsky (with $3M retained). With no 1st round pick next year, it gets really complicated. It looks like they will need to replace Panarin eventually, so one of Fabbri or Kyrou would likely have to be in there. You're likely also adding another prospect, leaving you a really steep price for a rental, especially for one with a less than stellar playoff resume. As someone else said, you've got the Miller deal written all over it.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good post...yeah I was thinking Kyrou, since Allen would have to be going back, but then without an extension on bob the cap situation gets dicey, yes. So likely a no-go.

I just don't see Jake Allen as consistent enough to be the goalie for a good playoff team. Would you target another goalie and who? Ride it out with Allen?
We have to become a good playoff team first before we talk about a goalie trade. Our plan seems to be to develop Husso.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
An interesting question is whether the Blues can afford to keep Petro if he demands a Doughty-like deal. I wouldn't want to pay him $10 or more million on an 8 year deal.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I know im in the minority, but id trade Tarasenko for the right player.

Young
Ascending
Team controlled for 5+ yrs
30g scorer
2 way player
Size
Toughness

Who fits this criteria? I have no clue LOL, but thats my type of player.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Young
Ascending
30g scorer
2 way player
Size
Toughness

One of the Tkachuks? I am glad you brought this up. Tarasenko hasn't been "untouchable" for me for a while now. I have been reluctant to bring it up here, for obvious reasons, but it has been on my mind. Mind you, it would have to be an overpayment, of course.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
One of the Tkachuks? I am glad you brought this up. Tarasenko hasn't been "untouchable" for me for a while now. I have been reluctant to bring it up here, for obvious reasons, but it has been on my mind. Mind you, it would have to be an overpayment, of course.

Haven’t seen enough of Brady. Id have to think about Matthew. Maybe. But I know it definitely wont be quantity over quality. The player would have to fit the criteria I outlined above. Before I did it, Id like to see Tarasenko with ROR and a better LW than Maroon for a while to evaluate. Tarasenko has never really had a center like ROR before. Put a healthy Fabbri on LW, and that line could dominate.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Trading players would be a bad move at this point unless you're talking about moving Gunnarson for a pick and to get a little bit of cap relief. These players are floundering under a coaching staff that has some serious questions about whether or not it can actually lead and properly prepare an NHL team. I'd be looking to find qualified coaches to interview rather than working a trade.

Reactions: The Note in MI

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

Young
Ascending
30g scorer
2 way player
Size
Toughness

Jake Debrusk is an exciting player. I know he doesn't fit the 'size' criteria as you suggested at 6'0 and maybe 190 lbs., but he certainly plays bigger than that and was noted for his two-way game as a prospect. His entry level contract does expire after next season but would be very affordable for the next 4-5 years and is only 22. I remember watching him in the playoffs last year thinking that he would look good wearing a note on his chest. It's possible that could be a move where we could send Gunnarsson there way and also make up a draft pick in the process. Boston may see a deal for Tarasenko as piece for a final push to win with the likes of Kreici, Bergeron, Marchand and Chara entering their twilight years.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Jake Debrusk is an exciting player. I know he doesn't fit the 'size' criteria as you suggested at 6'0 and maybe 190 lbs., but he certainly plays bigger than that and was noted for his two-way game as a prospect. His entry level contract does expire after next season but would be very affordable for the next 4-5 years and is only 22. I remember watching him in the playoffs last year thinking that he would look good wearing a note on his chest. It's possible that could be a move where we could send Gunnarsson there way and also make up a draft pick in the process. Boston may see a deal for Tarasenko as piece for a final push to win with the likes of Kreici, Bergeron, Marchand and Chara entering their twilight years.

There is no way in hell you could persuade me to trade 91 for Debrusk as the centerpiece of a deal.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Is there a particular reason why we're trading Tarasenko? If it's to get better, that's not going to happen. Your team only gets worse if you're trading Tarasenko, barring an over-payment that won't happen.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO

I would've either gone with Allen/Husso (and signed some vet that would clear waivers), or signed Lehner. Lehner had .908 last year on a terrible Sabres team, and .920 and .924 two + three years ago, and somehow signed for less than Johnson did. Johnson had an .891 sv% last year...if he was a position player he'd have been lucky to get a PTO but teams are too conservative about bringing up young goalies. Not to say that he can't have a good season here and of course I hope he does.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
You don’t trade Tarasenko for Jake DeBrusk. C’mon.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wouldn’t hesitate to move Tarasenko in the right deal. When he isn’t scoring goals, he offers so very little. He is also part of our leadership group and does not lead by example on the ice. That might be on coaching too.

Here is the thing though, who would we get for Tarasenko? I can’t imagine getting the type of return that would make me ok with trading him. It is much more likely that Tarasenko improves his game than us landing a package that makes us better.

Trading him just to trade him is a non-starter for me.

Reactions: Bluesman91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad