Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I agree with Celtic. Aside from scoring goals, Tarasenko is not an effective player. His passing has gotten worse over the years, he gets knocked off the puck far too easily for a man of his stature, and his inability to support his linemates along the boards absolutely frustrates me. At the same time, there really is no feasible trade option that doesn't make the Blues worse. The only one I can think of is maybe a swap with Ottawa for a signed Mark Stone who I think could be a good fit for the Blues. Other than that, you really just need to hope that Tarasenko has a Ovechkin-type epiphany and realizes that there's more to the game than shooting the puck.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with Celtic. Aside from scoring goals, Tarasenko is not an effective player. His passing has gotten worse over the years, he gets knocked off the puck far too easily for a man of his stature, and his inability to support his linemates along the boards absolutely frustrates me. At the same time, there really is no feasible trade option that doesn't make the Blues worse. The only one I can think of is maybe a swap with Ottawa for a signed Mark Stone who I think could be a good fit for the Blues. Other than that, you really just need to hope that Tarasenko has a Ovechkin-type epiphany and realizes that there's more to the game than shooting the puck.
Yep. Hopefully he realizes that his game will improve by less bulk and more speed/quickness. That's the biggest change in him from when he initially brokeout.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Hmm. He's looked pretty good to me this season. Looks way more active.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Hmm. He's looked pretty good to me this season. Looks way more active.
He's shown some spurts in the offensive zone but it's not consistent. I'm baffled at how easily it is to take the puck from Tarasenko. One quick stick check or a small shove, and he just gives up the puck. If Tarasenko had the work ethic of ROR he would be a tremendous player.

Reactions: Bluesman91

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Advanced metrics still say Tarasenko is one of the best wingers in the game. I think that is in large part due to the fact that he generates scoring chances like crazy. I'm not sure whether he just hasn't been lucky enough to have one or two of those luck-fueled breakout seasons we see from top players or even good but not great players, or whether there is in reality some issue there with actually converting scoring chances.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I went into a Leaf/STL thread on the main trading section, please send me your thoughts and prayers..

giphy.gif

Reactions: Arioch

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn’t hesitate to move Tarasenko in the right deal. When he isn’t scoring goals, he offers so very little. He is also part of our leadership group and does not lead by example on the ice. That might be on coaching too.

Here is the thing though, who would we get for Tarasenko? I can’t imagine getting the type of return that would make me ok with trading him. It is much more likely that Tarasenko improves his game than us landing a package that makes us better.

Trading him just to trade him is a non-starter for me.
This.

The problem is that while he doesn't do anything else but score goals, those goals are still very valuable. As we have seen with the Minnesota Wild and Blues teams of the past, you really can't go anywhere without a legit threat up front. Tarasenko at least can be that, granted we wish it was more often.

So if we're trading him, we have to be receiving a guy that can also put up 40 goals. Receiving quantity won't help us, we already have that. Basically a 1-for-1 swap is really the only thing I think could make sense, kinda like the Heatley for Hossa swap years ago when both were in their prime.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Look at what Ovechkin did at 26-27 and what did last season. At 26, he had 65 points and the worst season of his career.

Tarasenko isn't as good as Ovi, but if he can figure it out, he can begin to play a more well rounded game with a commitment to leaving it all out on the ice. Though I don't think Mike Yeo is the guy to get him there. I'd love to see what Tarasenko does under a more offensively driven play style. Our group isn't built for a defense heavy system and high octane offense has been a trend recently. Why Armstrong can't see that is beyond me.

What's the point in trading him? To watch him go rip the league apart for 45 goals and 90 points? And what, the Blues get shit all? Unless we're getting Pastrnak or likewise, there's no point.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
From the 2014-15 year to the end of last year 2017-2018 only one person has scored more goals than Tarasenko and that is Ovechkin. Please tell me the fans don't want to trade the only elite goal scorer on the team in his prime.

But just imagine all the complaining we can do when we trade Tarasenko and the team cant score !!!

Reactions: TK 421

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
three ways to trade Tarasenko:
at the draft for a 1st in the range of 3-9 OA. (maybe Colorado wants a winger on a great contract for the Sens pick)
to a team with lots of depth on D and the urgency to win now. (say Carolina for a D-man and a pick/prospect)
straight-up hockey deal. (like a Vincent Trochek or another *star*-caliber player)

Not all that likely. I'd rather just break up the molasses line (Maroon/ROR/91) and see if he can get back to 70-points and responsible 2-way play.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
at the draft for a 1st in the range of 3-9 OA. (maybe Colorado wants a winger on a great contract for the Sens pick)
to a team with lots of depth on D and the urgency to win now. (say Carolina for a D-man and a pick/prospect)
straight-up hockey deal. (like a Vincent Trochek or another *star*-caliber player)

Not all that likely. I'd rather just break up the molasses line (Maroon/ROR/91) and see if he can get back to 70-points and responsible 2-way play.
Yeo agrees and put a ballistic missile on his line

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Getting back to responsible 2-way play would require that he ever had that in the first place.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Getting back to responsible 2-way play would require that he ever had that in the first place.
He just needs to get back to doing what he did to get 40 goals. When I watch him vs other superstars, I'm not hopeful that will ever happen. He just doesn't look like the guy we've seen or the guy he could be

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Tarasenko was actually passable defensively under Hitch. Not saying he was a Selke-candidate, but he didn't actively hurt his line. He and Maroon together are complete liabilities for any unfortunate center with whom they're playing. Yeo doesn't seem to be holding him as accountable has Hitch would. When was the last time Tarasenko yelled at Yeo? That was common with Captain Kangaroo.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Tarasenko was actually passable defensively under Hitch. Not saying he was a Selke-candidate, but he didn't actively hurt his line. He and Maroon together are complete liabilities for any unfortunate center with whom they're playing. Yeo doesn't seem to be holding him as accountable has Hitch would. When was the last time Tarasenko yelled at Yeo? That was common with Captain Kangaroo.
Sometimes when a player, (even a star one), yells at a coach, it is an indication of something good happening. But, I think that is the point you are making.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Then why are you moving Tarasenko? That seems incongruous with your statement.

There’s nobody in the league you would trade Tarasenko for? You act like I said I would trade him for a downgrade. I’m only trading him if the player fits the type of player that I outlined originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->