Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Nate Thompson shines from stats point (PK icetime and FO%) of view compare to Smith or Pyatt. Thompson is used a lot in PK, great at FO dot, but I don't have eye test on him, maybe somebody could tell is he decent for 4th line center spot? I would love that kind of players in our 4th line if he has at least decent leg speed and can forecheck well.

pyatt is better

In what area he is better then Nate Thompson?

pretty much in every aspect of the game?

Coin toss in terms of who holds more value between the two, however Ottawa traded Thompson to LA with Phaneuf near the deadline. I’m sure you guys could get him for cheap though, and he’s on an expiring contract too.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think if the Blues were interested in an established 4th line center, they would have brought Brodziak back.
They tried to bring Brodz back but he chose to sign for his hometown Oilers.

There’s really no denying that the Blues look a little weak at 4C right now. Maybe Barbs or Sundqvist can perform that role well or maybe they’d be willing to put Thomas there but it’s certainly a question mark on the roster with Brodz exiting.

Like Kimsey, I’d certainly consider trading Gunnar for an established 4C that can be a good PKer but not a guy making over $3M year and especially not one getting paid that much for 3 more years.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
pretty much in every aspect of the game?

Sens has given much more responsibility to Thompson (2.18/TOI/GP/PK) at PK compare to Pyatt (2:03/TOI/GP/PK) and Thompson is much better at FO dot then Pyatt. 56.4% vs. 33.3%. Thompson has record 1.8 HIT/GP and Pyatt is 0.7 HIT/GP. Pyatt has edge on blocking shot 1.1 blocks/GP vs. 0.6/GP, but we're looking 4th liner center not winger, which will automatically take away him from discussion of our need.

Tho I haven't seen him played so I can't tell how his game looks, but stats wise Thompson has better 2-way game then Pyatt.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Coin toss in terms of who holds more value between the two, however Ottawa traded Thompson to LA with Phaneuf near the deadline. I’m sure you guys could get him for cheap though, and he’s on an expiring contract too.

Aaah, totally missed that one. I blame work.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sens has given much more responsibility to Thompson (2.18/TOI/GP/PK) at PK compare to Pyatt (2:03/TOI/GP/PK) and Thompson is much better at FO dot then Pyatt. 56.4% vs. 33.3%. Thompson has record 1.8 HIT/GP and Pyatt is 0.7 HIT/GP. Pyatt has edge on blocking shot 1.1 blocks/GP vs. 0.6/GP, but we're looking 4th liner center not winger, which will automatically take away him from discussion of our need.

Tho I haven't seen him played so I can't tell how his game looks, but stats wise Thompson has better 2-way game then Pyatt.

specifically at center yeah thompson is better, 4th liner in general tom pyatt is much better. thompson is more physical and thats about it. i guess it all depends on how yeo is planning on structuring the lines and if theyd want barbashev that low

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
No interest in bringing a roster player back for Gunnarsson with more term and essentially the same cap hit. I'd say we either ship him for a pick or keep him and fail to re-sign Schmaltz. I'm generally not seeing a massive need for a traditional L4 center with us having Schenn and O'Reilly. If that were necessary there is a good chance Sundqvist would be the guy to fill the 4C hole. The only issue is he is a black hole offensively but nonetheless he's adequate for a 14th forward/ bottom line pker. I really think as it stands though that might be Thomas' position to start off.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
One thing I should mention is Smith though a natural centre, is best suited for the wing in terms of playing style and his best production has come playing there. If Marroon walks next summer, he could effectively replace him on the third line for you guys.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
One thing I should mention is Smith though a natural centre, is best suited for the wing in terms of playing style and his best production has come playing there. If Marroon walks next summer, he could effectively replace him on the third line for you guys.

So could Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Blias, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Foley, or Sanford...all cheaper and possibly more effective if they develop well. We have good forward prospects and need to get them in the line-up sooner or later. If Smith didn't have such a poor year last year, I'd consider it. I know it was probably the team and the drama around it more than him, but the upside of him returning to a 35-point guy isn't worth the risk of the cap for 3 years. If the contract were 2 years, I'd consider it. But we have Schenn and Pietrangelo coming for free agency in 2 years. We might very well need those dollars. We can go out and grab a 30-point guy in free agency if Maroon leaves and none of those guys step up. I'd rather have the cap flexibility in case we need it.

If you want Gunnarsson, keep Smith and just give us a conditional mid round pick.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
They were interested in Brodziak though, it wasn't their choice to let him walk.

They tried to bring Brodz back but he chose to sign for his hometown Oilers.

The Blues could have easily pushed harder for Brodziak. There's a lot of daylight between that Zack Smith contract and what the Blues/Oilers offered Kyle Brodziak. The Blues were content to let Brodziak walk in the sense that for not much more money(as in NOT Zack Smith money) they probably could have enticed him to stay. Since Brodziak signed with the Oilers the Blues have acquired 5 forwards, 2 of which are centers, and have a very crowded forward corps.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
So could Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Blias, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Foley, or Sanford...all cheaper and possibly more effective if they develop well. We have good forward prospects and need to get them in the line-up sooner or later. If Smith didn't have such a poor year last year, I'd consider it. I know it was probably the team and the drama around it more than him, but the upside of him returning to a 35-point guy isn't worth the risk of the cap for 3 years. If the contract were 2 years, I'd consider it. But we have Schenn and Pietrangelo coming for free agency in 2 years. We might very well need those dollars. We can go out and grab a 30-point guy in free agency if Maroon leaves and none of those guys step up. I'd rather have the cap flexibility in case we need it.

If you want Gunnarsson, keep Smith and just give us a conditional mid round pick.

I was more referring to his role as opposed to simply a roster spot, that being one of a physical presence that can still chip in offensively, and could be a good compliment to the finesse of most others in your forward group, but that being said I understand the dilemma in terms of dollars needed to re sign Schenn and Petro coming up. The proposal’s more about getting Gunner than anything else so the conditional pick would work for me as well.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Leafs fans are funny. They look at the trading of 3 first round picks that Doug Armstrong doesn't value first round picks, but they forget he drafted Thomas, Kostin, and Bokk in the first round recently. Armstrong trades first round picks but he's been good about acquiring at least 1 or 2 back.

Also, yes, they always over-value their own players. We do the same though. If Dubas lost his mind and decided he needed major upgrade on D and offered Marner, Tavares, or Matthews for Parayko, I'd do it in a heart beat. If he offered Nylander+, I'd hang up the phone and block his number. I'm probably over-valuing Parayko but until Dunn shows he's 100% capable of being #2, then Parayko or Pietrangelo for that matter aren't expendable.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Also, yes, they always over-value their own players. We do the same though.

Ofc there is some people in every fanbase who over-value their own players (like me), but I think overally Blues fans are quite realistic about their own prospects for instance, but looks like every off-season we build some hype around some prospect/player --> golden shiny boy syndrome. Looks like this off-season its Thomas, Kyrou (and maybe Husso and Mikkola) which in my mind is good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ofc there is some people in every fanbase who over-value their own players, but I think overally Blues fans are quite realistic about their own prospects for instance, but looks every season we got some golden shiny boy to whom we're high on before season starts. Looks like this off-season its Thomas and Kyrou.
Luckily the Thomas and Kyrou hype is backed up by analysts and scouts.

I'd also add that most of the time, Blues fans admit it's not about value....but need. For instance, Parayko, he's not worth a 1c, but we have zero reason to trade him barring a huge overpayment. Nylander+ is great value but....we blow a hole in our defense for a position that can be filled in house.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
just to give you guys a heads up-- a twitter tweeker is saying Blues and Olers are talking trade with Parayko-- makes no sense to me--but it is august and people are bored

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Luckily the Thomas and Kyrou hype is backed up by analysts and scouts.

I'd also add that most of the time, Blues fans admit it's not about value....but need. For instance, Parayko, he's not worth a 1c, but we have zero reason to trade him barring a huge overpayment. Nylander+ is great value but....we blow a hole in our defense for a position that can be filled in house.

This was more to my point. Toronto fans are looking at their team's needs and not the Blues'. Their assumption is the Blues need offense and already have Pietrangelo, therefore Parayko should be available. The Blues don't necessarily need offense any more though. Armstrong shored up the depth with Bozak, Perron, and O'Reilly. Could the Blues use an elite 1C, sure, but Nylander isn't it, no matter what their fans believe. Plus, taking Parayko for futures opens a massive hole on our defense. It makes no sense. If the Blues were in need of a potential elite winger, then Parayko for Nylander makes sense and is good value for both side. The Blues have Schwartz and Tarasenko still in their primes with Kyrou, a highly touted prospect by scouts and analysts, waiting for his shot. I have not seen that kind of praise and hype for Nylander outside of Toronto. There just isn't a clear need the Blues could or should move Parayko for right now. The only major upgrade, but not need, is a consistent goaltender over Allen and Parayko is worth more than that. It wouldn't be a smart value trade.

Reactions: Dbrownss

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
A WHL blooger named Joshua Marshall--I think he is trying to make a name for himself

no one who actually has any cred is suggesting that the two teams are talking or that Parayko is being shopped

but this is August and people are bored

I didn’t see any tweets of his that mentioned Parayko...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad