Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Stone and Karlsson for Parayko, Gunnarsson, Allen, and picks. :thumbu:

Ottawa would probably take it. With how screwy they've been. If the Blues absolutely needed another forward, I'd do Stone for Parayko.

I was looking at Vegas's roster. They lost a decent of veteran experience with Neal and Perron leaving. Would Steen entertain going there to be back with Stastny? Who would you want from Vegas? I'm not advocating trading Steen, but with how close he and Stastny are, I'm wondering if he'd welcome that. I'm also looking at it as he's the last person from that "old core".

I want him here to help along Thomas and I think his game will benefit from how much deeper this team is this year, but still, it's an opportunity for the Blues to recoup some picks that are now missing while also clearing cap space and adding another decent prospect to the pool.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
How are we fitting Stone and Karlsson's extensions under the cap? Who is playing goalie for us? Where will we get the cap space to find a goalie if Husso doesn't pan out?
Great questions!

Simple answer: Win it all this season, and don't care about next! :thumbu:

I honestly don't care much about Karlsson after this season. Move Steen, Bozak, Perron etc. for Stone's cap hit. If Husso doesn't pan out we'll do what we did the past 7 years and ride some backups until Fitzpatrick is ready. Or, sign someone like Bobrovsky in the offseason and deal all of the aforementioned veteran forwards.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this trade, it was more for early August humor.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
With how aggressive Armstrong has been this off-season, I could see making a play for Stone being the cherry on top. I would love to see the Blues completely overwhelm opposing teams with 4 crazy scoring lines.

Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Fabbri - O’Reilly - Tarasenko
Perron - Bozak - Stone
Maroon - Thomas - Steen

This would obviously be difficult with regards to staying under the cap and providing the assets to Ottawa to make it happen.

The easier of the two is getting under the cap - moving Thorburn’s contract (no replacement), moving Gunnarson’s contract (and playing someone on an ELC as our #8 D), and moving Allen (replacing him with Husso) are some options that could get us part of the way there. We could also try to get Ottawa to retain a significant portion of Stone’s contract.

The harder part is providing the assets to make STL the ideal trading partner. What is one year of Stone worth? I assume the conversation starts with Kostin but I don’t know where it goes from there. This might be a case where quantity may make up for quality because Ottawa is going to need a lot of controlled contracts the next few years with how undesirable the location is becoming for free agents and the reported money issues.

What moves would you all make to get Stone for next season?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
With how aggressive Armstrong has been this off-season, I could see making a play for Stone being the cherry on top. I would love to see the Blues completely overwhelm opposing teams with 4 crazy scoring lines.

Perron - Bozak - Stone
Maroon - Thomas - Steen

This would obviously be difficult with regards to staying under the cap and providing the assets to Ottawa to make it happen.

The easier of the two is getting under the cap - moving Thorburn’s contract (no replacement), moving Gunnarson’s contract (and playing someone on an ELC as our #8 D), and moving Allen (replacing him with Husso) are some options that could get us part of the way there. We could also try to get Ottawa to retain a significant portion of Stone’s contract.

The harder part is providing the assets to make STL the ideal trading partner. What is one year of Stone worth? I assume the conversation starts with Kostin but I don’t know where it goes from there. This might be a case where quantity may make up for quality because Ottawa is going to need a lot of controlled contracts the next few years with how undesirable the location is becoming for free agents and the reported money issues.

Melnyk is very anti-Russian for lots of reasons. I don’t think Kostin or Barbashev would be acceptable in a trade for any of their players.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Perron - Bozak - Stone
Maroon - Thomas - Steen

So, were running a goalie with zero NHL experience outside of a few preseason games?

May I present to you how the NYI season went.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
So, were running a goalie with zero NHL experience outside of a few preseason games?

May I present to you how the NYI season went.

I presented it as an option, not that I would do it necessarily. Husso could also be backing up for Johnson. Of course it’s a gamble to go with Husso/Johnson going into the season but it could be worth it. I was just brainstorming some options, I’m hoping that others might be able to put together a picture of how they think we could acquire Stone.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I presented it as an option, not that I would do it necessarily. Husso could also be backing up for Johnson. Of course it’s a gamble to go with Husso/Johnson going into the season but it could be worth it. I was just brainstorming some options, I’m hoping that others might be able to put together a picture of how they think we could acquire Stone.
I dont see it as possible or realistic. The cost is going to be high, the salary cap will be a problem moving forward with another 7m+ player.

The goalie situation would undermine whatever progress we make.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Sens fan coming in peace. Love the look of your roster this year. Here’s the offer:

To STL: Zack Smith

To OTT: Carl Gunnarson

I’m assuming you guys would have to do something in your bottom 6 to make room for Smith if you’d even want to in the first place. Dude has 3 years of term left, at 3+mill, but is a reliable hard nosed presence who can line up at centre or wing, kill penalties, pretty good on faceoffs, and while I’m not gonna feed y’all the line of “well he’s 3 years removed from scoring 25” I think a good bet is around the 10-15 range. Would be an upgrade on Thorburn to be sure.

From a Sens perspective we need Defence with experience. Gunner seems to be the odd man out in looking at your depth chart, and while he ain’t a sexy player I think he’d provide the decently stabilizing presence Oduya was supposed to last year, only Dorion forgot he was 5 years older and could barely play. Let me know if offering smith is poor or redundant, and bottom line what would be a realistic ask for Gunner. Cheers!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues are overloaded with left wingers. Better for them to get a draft choice for Gunnarsson. They might be able to get a late 2nd Rounder from a desperate team with several injuries on defence, from mid-season on (or, at least, maybe a 3rd and a 5th). Getting a 30-year old LW doesn't help them in the slightest.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Sens fan coming in peace. Love the look of your roster this year. Here’s the offer:

To STL: Zack Smith

To OTT: Carl Gunnarson

I’m assuming you guys would have to do something in your bottom 6 to make room for Smith if you’d even want to in the first place. Dude has 3 years of term left, at 3+mill, but is a reliable hard nosed presence who can line up at centre or wing, kill penalties, pretty good on faceoffs, and while I’m not gonna feed y’all the line of “well he’s 3 years removed from scoring 25” I think a good bet is around the 10-15 range. Would be an upgrade on Thorburn to be sure.

From a Sens perspective we need Defence with experience. Gunner seems to be the odd man out in looking at your depth chart, and while he ain’t a sexy player I think he’d provide the decently stabilizing presence Oduya was supposed to last year, only Dorion forgot he was 5 years older and could barely play. Let me know if offering smith is poor or redundant, and bottom line what would be a realistic ask for Gunner. Cheers!

I'm not opposed to trading Gunnar for a reliable 4th line C.
That said, Smith's Cap hit is a bit too high.

As a counter, how about something around Pyatt?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

Absolutely. Boucher loves Tommy P, but then again he ain’t the one making the trade haha.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Interesting proposal! I would prefer Smith to Pyatt, despite the contract. I agree with Robb though, either one will be difficult to find room for. A draft pick would be the best return for Gunnarsson, but I do understand why Ottawa would be reluctant to deal picks right now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Nate Thompson shines from stats point (PK icetime and FO%) of view compare to Smith or Pyatt. Thompson is used a lot in PK, great at FO dot, but I don't have eye test on him, maybe somebody could tell is he decent for 4th line center spot? I would love that kind of players in our 4th line if he has at least decent leg speed and can forecheck well.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I think if the Blues were interested in an established 4th line center, they would have brought Brodziak back. Especially when contracts are considered. St. Louis already has 15 forwards who aren't waiver eligible with another 6 or so forwards who are waiver eligible that have a legitimate chance to push for a roster spot.

Barbashev
Bozak
Fabbri
Jaskin
Maroon
Nolan
O'Reilly
Perron
Schenn
Schwartz
Soshnikov
Steen
Sundqvist
Tarasenko
Thorburn

Blais
Foley
Kostin
Kyrou
Sanford
Thomas

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Gunnarsson for a 2nd in 2023? The rebuild should be complete by then.
Seriously...future considerations would be fine, no need for a roster player back.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hard no on Smith, primarily due to cap needs after this season.

Gunnarson can absolutely be bad for picks/prospects tho if Ottawa is interested in such a deal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think if the Blues were interested in an established 4th line center, they would have brought Brodziak back. Especially when contracts are considered. St. Louis already has 15 forwards who aren't waiver eligible with another 6 or so forwards who are waiver eligible that have a legitimate chance to push for a roster spot.

Barbashev
Bozak
Fabbri
Jaskin
Maroon
Nolan
O'Reilly
Perron
Schenn
Schwartz
Soshnikov
Steen
Sundqvist
Tarasenko
Thorburn

Blais
Foley
Kostin
Kyrou
Sanford
Thomas
They were interested in Brodziak though, it wasn't their choice to let him walk.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nate Thompson shines from stats point (PK icetime and FO%) of view compare to Smith or Pyatt. Thompson is used a lot in PK, great at FO dot, but I don't have eye test on him, maybe somebody could tell is he decent for 4th line center spot? I would love that kind of players in our 4th line if he has at least decent leg speed and can forecheck well.

pyatt is better

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

wouldnt it be better to trade gunnar for a 2nd or 3rd. Clear the 3mil. Sign Schmaltz and have about 1.5 mil left. Shouldnt that be the goal. I think we have plenty of center depth now and young guys coming up ready. Doug and bill armstrong both think that thomas could be playing on a line with ROR and Tarasenko by december. Schmaltz and reinke are the only RHD we have out side our current 3.

Fabbri ROR Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn perron
Steen Bozak Thomas
Maroon Barbashev Jaskin/soshnikov

Edds Petro
Dunn Parayko
Jaybo Schmaltz Borts

first call ups F
Kyrou RW/c
Kostin LW/RW
Blais LW
Sandford LW/c