Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Had boring day at work?

Welcome back old Spektre

giphy.gif

Hey that’s a good package for Columbus. Panarin isn’t going to stay with them. Steen would fill a need at middle 6 LW. Kyrou is a top prospect. Gunnarson actually fills another need for them at 3rd LD. They get a 1st and another decent prospect in Sanford.

Columbus can wait till the TDL if they want. I think they benefit more by finding a team Panarin will sign with and work out a trade package between now and September.

The other factor with Panarin is media relations with their fans. Everyone knows he doesn’t want to stay in Columbus. It’s a bad taste in the mouths of their fans. Every time the fans see him wearing the Blue Jackets uniform it’s a reminder of his soon to be departure. I’ll be pretty surprised if he’s with them after his magical September deadline.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I've noticed a trend of users debating whether we should or should not discuss things relevant to the thread. As long as the thread is relevant, I don't see why not.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
But, why are we still talking about trades after The Blues turned over 40% of their starting lineup??? Their next trade will be dumping a finally healthy Gunnarsson off for a draft choice, which won't add a roster player, and then, the next will only occur if Allen implodes, and they trade for a stopgap goalie better than Johnson, or, if that doesn't happen, the next trade might be trading off Bouwmeester at the trade deadline, IF The Blues are a disaster, out of the playoff race (not bloody likely), OR, if Parayko starts playing like a superstar, Schmaltz, Bortuzzo, AND Walman play like all stars, and Bouwmeester is thought of as dispensable, even though The Blues are guaranteed being in the playoffs, and deemed a Stanley Cup contender.

So, why bother talking about more trades in the offseason? Why not see how players look in Camp and exhibition games first?
I agree, the Blues shouldn't be adding anybody now. Looking forward to training camp! I hope our next move is to climb as high as we can in the 2019 draft, or to add as many picks as possible.

Reactions: Xanadude and shmotz

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This will be a long season. Not because of the team, but because of all of the trade threads that will pop up on the main boards - should either the Blues or the Leafs stumble this year. My full expectation will be to have at least 1 -2 Colt/Pie trade to Leafs threads every month.

It will likely be worse the the Oiler/Blues threads. Hopefully, as fans we can just let those threads go and not respond. They never go anywhere constructive anyways.

As for the team itself - we have added 3 new bodies already. Armstrong once said, when Stas came on that it take 6 months to see new teammates blend in - both structure and building chemistry. Adding another body isn't something I want to do at this point. I am just really excited about the team and the year.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
This will be a long season. Not because of the team, but because of all of the trade threads that will pop up on the main boards - should either the Blues or the Leafs stumble this year.
Why not just ignore the main boards if they effect you so much? This should be a year to relish in the product on the ice, and not concern yourself with some Toronto 14 year olds proposal on the main board offering lackluster quantity for quality.

This gonna be our year boys
LGB

Reactions: BlueDream and Rexx

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What you guys think of if Barbashev, Sundqvist, Sandford and Thomas fail to be good 4th line center, will we see trade at least TDL for 4th liner?

What you guys think of who might be trade block if that is case we need new 4th liner?

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
What you guys think of if Barbashev, Sundqvist, Sandford and Thomas fail to be good 4th line center, will we see trade at least TDL for 4th liner?

What you guys think of who might be trade block if that is case we need new 4th liner?

I think at this point with our cap stretched to its absolute limit, Army and Yeo will just keep cycling them in until someone sticks.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think at this point with our cap stretched to its absolute limit, Army and Yeo will just keep cycling them in until someone sticks.
My thought process was we're going to see trade with Gunnar/Jbo out make some room for possible 4th liner. It might be costing Barbashev/Sandord/Sunqvist too make it even. I don't lose night sleep if we lost Barbashev.

But question is which team would like to make such a move. Jbo or Gunnar accept to make a trade. What is 4th liner who could be available at TDL.

I made a thread and get couple decent possibilities.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...enter-who-could-be-trade-bait-at-tdl.2519759/

Luke Glendening looked best option. Good FO%, able to play PK with high minutes, good 2-way center. Like his stats a lot. He could be good option for our 4th liner center duty.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My thought process was we're going to see trade with Gunnar/Jbo out make some room for possible 4th liner. It might be costing Barbashev too make it even.

I do think that one of Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson will be traded at some point this year but it will he after the season begins. What we have right now is what we will start camp with IMO.
I think Army is envisioning running for scoring lines this year. In JRs recent q&a he said he gets the sense we might start Thomas as the 4C and then slowly move him up the lineup. Honestly I am not that worried about adding a traditional 4c, I think Barbashev has more than shown he is capable of handling that ice time.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I do think that one of Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson will be traded at some point this year but it will he after the season begins. What we have right now is what we will start camp with IMO.
I think Army is envisioning running for scoring lines this year. In JRs recent q&a he said he gets the sense we might start Thomas as the 4C and then slowly move him up the lineup. Honestly I am not that worried about adding a traditional 4c, I think Barbashev has more than shown he is capable of handling that ice time.
The Blues are swimming in extra forwards at centre and on the wings. There is no need to trade for a 4th Line centre. Thomas can start there. When he moves up, the lines can be juggled depending upon who is injured. The Blues need to save the cap space they'll gain by trading off Gunnarsson, for any emergency due to injury, or for a goaltender if Allen implodes and Husso isn't ready, and Johnson isn't adequate. The Blues would be foolish to add a "traditional 4th Line centre" now.

Reactions: Brian39

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Ok, so I don’t exactly like the thought of no 1st, two years in a row, but from a value standpoint, which teams say no to this deal?

STL gets: Gallagher
MTL gets: STL 1st 2020, WIN 1st 2019
WIN gets Steen, 1.75M/yr retained by MTL.

The blues save 2M/yr in cap with Gallagher only costing 3.75M/yr (3 years) and get a younger better winger at the expense of a first round pick. I’m hoping Army could trade Jaybo at some point for at least a 2nd in order to recoup a pick.

Winnipeg gets Steen at 4M per for the next 3 years for a first round pick.

MTL gets 2 firsts for Gallagher and 4.86M paid for Steen retention (5.75M in cap).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How people can be so sure that Thomas can easily do fine at 4th line center? I view 4th line center has quite massive job to do, good at FO dot, PK ability and be generally good 2-way center compare to 3rd line center.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
How people can be so sure that Thomas can easily do fine at 4th line center? I view 4th line center has quite massive job to do, good at FO dot, PK ability and be generally good 2-way center compare to 3rd line center.

I don't think we're going to roll a normal 4th line this year. TBH I think we're going to go with 2 very offensive scoring lines and 2 adequate scoring lines. So imo tossing Thomas between say Peron and Maroon would put him in a good position to start his career.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't think we're going to roll a normal 4th line this year. TBH I think we're going to go with 2 very offensive scoring lines and 2 adequate scoring lines. So imo tossing Thomas between say Peron and Maroon would put him in a good position to start his career.

Still if Barbashev is centering I don't hold my breath it will work well. He can be decent at wing, but trusting him taking faceoffs or d-zone starts its worrisome.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Still if Barbashev is centering I don't hold my breath it will work well. He can be decent at wing, but trusting him taking faceoffs or d-zone starts its worrisome.

I don’t think he will get a lot of dzone starts. Ror will likely get that. My guess is a fair amount of ozone starts.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

While I generally agree traditionally that has been the role of 4th line centers. I think an acquisition of a guy like ROR who can log big minutes and play pp,es and pk allows us to have the ability to role 4 lines.

Realistically if we want to go in the traditional sense, I don’t see a reason we need to look much further than Sundqvist. The question will be at this point for me who makes the team and who starts in San Antonio. There will be a lot of competition going in to camp and if we come out healthy there is a really good chance we will have the firepower to have 4 scoring lines that will be littered with responsible two way players.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would prefer Steen and Maroon, or Steen and Perron, but I generally agree. Despite his exceptional two-way play, I think Thomas will need some sheltering. Steen would be a perfect wing for him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Mark Stone thread up on the trade boards. Apparently, he and the Sens are very far apart in arbitration. I think he is the perfect winger for our team. Big, two way, RHS natural RW. What would it take to obtain him? Obviously, salary has to go back. Would anybody else offer Schwartz +? I think I might! Perhaps a deal involving Fabbri, or Kyrou?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I would prefer Steen and Maroon, or Steen and Perron, but I generally agree. Despite his exceptional two-way play, I think Thomas will need some sheltering. Steen would be a perfect wing for him.
Going straight from Juniors into the pro game, EVERY player would need sheltering for defensive reasons. Even the generational future super goal-scoring HOFers really do. It's just that most of them were clear overall #1 choices, who went to horrendous teams, who are still playing in a chaotic system, and losing much in their first season. So their teams don't worry about their young superstar's hurting their (non-existent) overall team defence, and play them many minutes, to provide them as much experience as possible, to help their learning curve.

The Blues' situation is different. The Blues will be playing for playoffs seeding, and have lots of quality forwards. So, they can avoid having Thomas hurt the team defence early, as he learns the pro game, and The Blues' defensive system, and, by doing so, he can also avoid loss of confidence, or development of bad habits, by being brought along slowly. IF he's going to start at the much more demanding centre position, it had better be on a 4th Line that plays significantly less minutes than the Top 3 Lines. If The Blues don't want him to be overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of the centre position, WHILE he also has to get used to learning the overall pro team system, AND need to get used to the higher speed and less operating room, and harder hitting of the pro game at the same time, they could start him at 3rd Line RW, where he'll have less to learn and better wingers, to allow him a more free-skating pace. Either way is okay with me. I think it will depend upon whether or not The Blues will want to have The 4th Line as a more traditional checking/cycling, defensive and minute-chewing line, playing limited minutes; or, on the contrary, they want to run 4 offensive lines, dividing the ice time much more evenly. If they go with the latter strategy, Thomas should play RW on 3rd or 4th Line (assuming The 4th gets close to the same minutes as The 3rd.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Mark Stone thread up on the trade boards. Apparently, he and the Sens are very far apart in arbitration. I think he is the perfect winger for our team. Big, two way, RHS natural RW. What would it take to obtain him? Obviously, salary has to go back. Would anybody else offer Schwartz +? I think I might! Perhaps a deal involving Fabbri, or Kyrou?
No, At some point you just have to ice the team and stop shuffling the deck. We saw last year how important Schwartz is. Stone is great but he's not Schwartz+ great

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I think you would be making a huge mistake trading Schwartz. His chemistry with Schenn is incredible and it's not like Stone is any better than Schwartz, they just play opposite wings? So why ruin the good thing we have?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I generally agree it is time to stop making moves. I also don't like the idea of trading Schwartz, but I thought realistically, that is what would start the conversation for a player like Stone. I like Stone because I think he would fit into the Blues system really well. You also have to keep in mind that despite all our wheeling and dealing, we still don't have a natural RW outside of Tarasenko. Perron is a RHS but prefers to play left, and in the past has performed better there. Maroon can play either side..but is a LHS. Bozak, to my knowledge, has never played anything but C. We can argue about how much this is a problem, if at all, but I have always been a proponent of putting players in the best situation to succeed. As it is, we have no choice but to play somebody on their "off" side. It is a pipe dream, anyway. The Blues are done dealing, and we likely can't afford Stone anyway.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I generally agree it is time to stop making moves. I also don't like the idea of trading Schwartz, but I thought realistically, that is what would start the conversation for a player like Stone. I like Stone because I think he would fit into the Blues system really well. You also have to keep in mind that despite all our wheeling and dealing, we still don't have a natural RW outside of Tarasenko. Perron is a RHS but prefers to play left, and in the past has performed better there. Maroon can play either side..but is a LHS. Bozak, to my knowledge, has never played anything but C. We can argue about how much this is a problem, if at all, but I have always been a proponent of putting players in the best situation to succeed. As it is, we have no choice but to play somebody on their "off" side. It is a pipe dream, anyway. The Blues are done dealing, and we likely can't afford Stone anyway.
We have Kyrou and Kostin in the pipeline, with Kyrou with being either ready or close enough.

DA needs to spend a few seasons managing the salary and should avoid adding high cost players. Guys like Eddy, Dunn and potentially Fabbri will start to cost sooner rather then later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad