Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Wasn't Tyler Tucker billed as a stay at home, defense-first Dman? Am I remembering correctly? Because he's the leading D scorer on his team by a mile, 11th in the entire OHL by Dmen. 13th in points/game and shots/game to account for some players not having as many games played. Still, that's excellent, especially for a 7th round pick. I don't really remember him at all from prospect camp, but I can't say I was keeping a close eye on our recent 7th round pick.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He has a greater wrist shot, a strong drive to win, and is a good, but not elite, skater. He’s a power forward. He needs time.
While I do think he will be an NHLer and maybe even very good one, anther concern with him is that this is 2nd year of ELC. After next year we need to resign him. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but for 21 year old Russian who didn't move over here to play longterm in the AHL this seems like could be an issue.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Wasn't Tyler Tucker billed as a stay at home, defense-first Dman? Am I remembering correctly? Because he's the leading D scorer on his team by a mile, 11th in the entire OHL by Dmen. 13th in points/game and shots/game to account for some players not having as many games played. Still, that's excellent, especially for a 7th round pick. I don't really remember him at all from prospect camp, but I can't say I was keeping a close eye on our recent 7th round pick.
Yea he was seen as a more physical stay at home guy but he’s nearly doubled his point production this year. Very active in the rush. Still plays a rough game too. Been a good season for him.

Reactions: Blueston

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
While I do think he will be an NHLer and maybe even very good one, anther concern with him is that this is 2nd year of ELC. After next year we need to resign him. Normally wouldn't be an issue, but for 21 year old Russian who didn't move over here to play longterm in the AHL this seems like could be an issue.
I see the possibility of him wanting to play in the KHL over the Blues not wanting to keep him. He’s a solid prospect. Though he’s teased in social media before about the KHL possibility. Now of course we don’t know if he’s just being a kid trying to stir the pot a little. But if Kostin does stay in the Blues system he’s going to be a nice top 9 addition. Doesn’t have to be a first line player. I don’t think anyone saw him as that to begin with. Which is totally fine in my opinion.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think I am becoming the low voter on Kostin. With our depth at RW Prospects, I would be willing to move him this off-season. Probably not at the deadline as I can’t see a deal working out by then. But he just seems like a “has tools but not the tool box” type of guy.
He plays LW too......

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see the possibility of him wanting to play in the KHL over the Blues not wanting to keep him. He’s a solid prospect. Though he’s teased in social media before about the KHL possibility. Now of course we don’t know if he’s just being a kid trying to stir the pot a little. But if Kostin does stay in the Blues system he’s going to be a nice top 9 addition. Doesn’t have to be a first line player. I don’t think anyone saw him as that to begin with. Which is totally fine in my opinion.
Right. I couldn't see him leaving NHL for KHL, but leaving AHL for KHL wouldn't be shocking.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kostin is 19yrs old with an Ego. There is too much worry right now. Be patient with him. He can be 25-30 goal scorer that can run guys over and just be a menace to the other team on the forcheck. Jamie Benn "like"

Reactions: Mike Liut

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Kostin is 19yrs old with an Ego. There is too much worry right now. Be patient with him. He can be 25-30 goal scorer that can run guys over and just be a menace to the other team on the forcheck. Jamie Benn "like"
Once Maroon is gone after the year, perhaps he will have a roster spot. Fill a couple roles. He’s a tough kid too.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

needs to still work on his skating

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Once Maroon is gone after the year, perhaps he will have a roster spot. Fill a couple roles. He’s a tough kid too.
Agreed, he my not be guarenteed a spot out of camp, but there will be a path where he see's NhL games. He will fill that skilled enforcer role

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Any time a dman can top 40 points, he’s got a shot, never mind being well on his way to 50. When you add in his old-school physicality, it’s easy to imagine a scenario where he turns into an Edmundson pt II. He’s further along than Eddy was at the same age, in an (arguably) more difficult league. His skating is a question mark, yes, but if nothing else he’s supplanting David Noel on the org chart. He, Perunovich, and even Andersson are all doing quite well this season. Of those three, Anton and Tyler are pretty similar, with Scotty bringing a different skill set entirely. It’s not as exciting as last year when our top junior-level prospects were high-flying forwards threatening 2.00 pts/game, but there are encouraging signs nonetheless.

Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Any time a dman can top 40 points, he’s got a shot, never mind being well on his way to 50. When you add in his old-school physicality, it’s easy to imagine a scenario where he turns into an Edmundson pt II. He’s further along than Eddy was at the same age, in an (arguably) more difficult league. His skating is a question mark, yes, but if nothing else he’s supplanting David Noel on the org chart. He, Perunovich, and even Andersson are all doing quite well this season. Of those three, Anton and Tyler are pretty similar, with Scotty bringing a different skill set entirely. It’s not as exciting as last year when our top junior-level prospects were high-flying forwards threatening 2.00 pts/game, but there are encouraging signs nonetheless.
I’m not sure what to make of Andersson. He has size. He’s 20 and hasn’t been called up. Is he a defensive liability? Lots of guys in double digits in +/- he’s barely even. Wish we could get a reliable report on him. Odd he hasn’t been called up to the men’s league.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Wow, I can't believe I've never really opened this thread before, very interesting reading.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
How bad would it be of Kostin went to the KHL for a couple years?
Probably not good, playing less games on the wider ice isnt going to develop him into a better NHL player. Not a lot of precedent for this working out well. Him going back to the Russia is my biggest concern with him, and why he would be the first guy I would trade this deadline, especially if we could get a player with term.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
How bad would it be of Kostin went to the KHL for a couple years?
Not ideal. Great league but pretty different from the NHL in a lot of ways. Wider ice which leads to more time you have to make creative plays. You don’t have that luxury in the NHL. Not to mention some of the top tier players in the KHL make a solid living which could in theory lead to Kostin just staying over there.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not ideal. Great league but pretty different from the NHL in a lot of ways. Wider ice which leads to more time you have to make creative plays. You don’t have that luxury in the NHL. Not to mention some of the top tier players in the KHL make a solid living which could in theory lead to Kostin just staying over there.
And look at how much Nikuschkin (sp?) regressed during his time over there.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I’m not sure what to make of Andersson. He has size. He’s 20 and hasn’t been called up. Is he a defensive liability? Lots of guys in double digits in +/- he’s barely even. Wish we could get a reliable report on him. Odd he hasn’t been called up to the men’s league.
Lulea are battling for the top spot in the SHL currently(one point out of the top spot). Even if they had room for Andersson I’m not sure they’d want to take a chance on a young prospect currently.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Can anyone tell me how Opilka is advancing? My wife & (by extension) I are friends with friends of his family, so we hear about him all the time, but not objectively how he's doing.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Lulea are battling for the top spot in the SHL currently(one point out of the top spot). Even if they had room for Andersson I’m not sure they’d want to take a chance on a young prospect currently.
The practice in Sweden has been to loan the under 20s to teams that are not fairing as well in the standings for them to gain experience at the next level. Just concerns me that this isn't the case either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad