Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Prospect camp will be the week after the draft again. Three invites, all from colleges (thanks Keith Tkachuk).

Ty Amonte (son of Tony): Boston University
Austin Rueschhoff: Western Michigan and STL native (and freaking huge)
Jared Thomas: Minnesota and on an AHL contract with San Antonio next season

Only 4 defensive invitees so far, if you’re curious as to how this draft is probably going to go

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Notably absent D prospects: Walman and Mikkola
Walman played a year in the AHL so he doesn't attend. It was the same for Dunn last year, he didn't attend prospect camp as he already had one year of pro hockey under his belt. Kostin is going though as MoM pointed out.

Not sure about Mikkola though, my initial thought was because he's older than the average prospect at 22 but Poganski is the same age and was invited.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Walman played a year in the AHL so he doesn't attend. It was the same for Dunn last year, he didn't attend prospect camp as he already had one year of pro hockey under his belt. Kostin is going though as MoM pointed out.

Not sure about Mikkola though, my initial thought was because he's older than the average prospect at 22 but Poganski is the same age and was invited.
Maybe Mikkola has played too many pro seasons in Finland? Hasn't he played 3 full pro seasons?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Is it the same deal with Foley? I didn’t think he had played a whole year in the A

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah I'm hoping Mikkola gets added. Would love to see him.
Agree
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Is it the same deal with Foley? I didn’t think he had played a whole year in the A

I’m not sure what you mean, he will be at the camp. After his college season he was “assigned” to San Antonio, but actually spent time in St. Louis with our trainers and med team while he was healing from what was rumored to be a concussion. He did eventually end up in San Antonio, but didn’t get into any games, only practices.

Reactions: KirkOut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I’m not sure what you mean, he will be at the camp. After his college season he was “assigned” to San Antonio, but actually spent time in St. Louis with our trainers and med team while he was healing from what was rumored to be a concussion. He did eventually end up in San Antonio, but didn’t get into any games, only practices.
Oh my bad I just completely missed his name in the article

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I always try to attend the prospect camp and hope to do so again this year. If I am able I will do another write up as I did last year.

If you do, I would especially appreciate any insight on Anton Andersson. If memory serves, he was in town last year but too injured to participate.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Blues players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Vince Dunn
Samuel Blais
Mitch Reinke

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can you guys give me some insight into these Blues players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Vince Dunn
Samuel Blais
Mitch Reinke

Dunn - Shifty PMD and PP QB. Defense is still a work in progress, and may never be elite, but developing into a solid player. He has #2D potential and a top 4 floor. He has great speed, passing and offensive instincts. Most impressive is the ability to make small moves to evade defenders and create time and space. He will be planted on the 2nd Pair LD and 1PP for the near future.

Blias - Tough to say. He is a high-IQ player. He is really adept at being in the right place and making the right play. He has good skills all around but nothing other than IQ stands out. He hit a growth spurt and is actually fairly strong and decent size. He has been almost dominate in the AHL and good at lower levels, but has yet to get a chance in the NHL due to LW depth. I'd say he maxes out as a 3rd liner, but he could maybe play 2nd line in a pinch if everything breaks right. He could also bust due to non-elite skill set. I did think he was the best of the youngsters we tried out last year. If he could play RW, I think he would have gotten a lot more NHL time.

Reinke - Really can't say. He played like 1 game for us and none in the AHL. We didn't draft him, just signed him as a FA out of college, so I didn't really follow him. He looked good in his 1 game. Good skater, passer. Decent defense and positioning. He was a bit under-sized. I was impressed for coming from college unheralded and not looking out of place in the NHL. But what his future holds, I'd need a lot more viewings to say for sure. He is probably 5th on our RD depth chart, so I doubt he really gets much of a look barring injury this year. Gun to my head, I have to project where he ends up, I think he can carve out a 3rd pairing/2nd PP role on a decent team in a few years, just not ours.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Vince Dunn
Samuel Blais
Mitch Reinke

Dunn - Shifty PMD and PP QB. Defense is still a work in progress, and may never be elite, but developing into a solid player. He has #2D potential and a top 4 floor. He has great speed, passing and offensive instincts. Most impressive is the ability to make small moves to evade defenders and create time and space. He will be planted on the 2nd Pair LD and 1PP for the near future.

I'd say he's kind of Shatty-like in that he could play as a 2D...but I wouldn't want him to. Or he could play as the 3rd-pair carrying heavy PP-duty. Or really anything in between depending on the talent of the D-corps around him.

Blias - Tough to say. He is a high-IQ player. He is really adept at being in the right place and making the right play. He has good skills all around but nothing other than IQ stands out. He hit a growth spurt and is actually fairly strong and decent size. He has been almost dominate in the AHL and good at lower levels, but has yet to get a chance in the NHL due to LW depth. I'd say he maxes out as a 3rd liner, but he could maybe play 2nd line in a pinch if everything breaks right. He could also bust due to non-elite skill set. I did think he was the best of the youngsters we tried out last year. If he could play RW, I think he would have gotten a lot more NHL time.

I'd add that he needs to keep his head up and anticipate contact much better than he has. He looks to have NHL talent, but he's been unable to absorb contact without sustaining injury or concussion. May simply be too frail for the physicality of the league.

Reinke is a complete unknown, but I suspect he's AHL-depth for as long as he's in the Blues organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd say he's kind of Shatty-like in that he could play as a 2D...but I wouldn't want him to. Or he could play as the 3rd-pair carrying heavy PP-duty. Or really anything in between depending on the talent of the D-corps around him.

Right now, I'd agree. I was saying his ceiling in a few years could be 2D IF he could improve defensively. Right now he is 3rd pairing or top 4 with the right partner. I believe he will absolutely be good enough to hold a 2nd pair on his own in a few years, barring a set-back to his development. He has good stick work and instincts on when to pinch. He even has decent physicality for his size. His speed is an asset recovering from pinches, or mistakes (his or his partners). He just needs to learn better positioning, and his assignments in various situations. That will come with time.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Vince Dunn
Samuel Blais
Mitch Reinke

Reinke - Really can't say. He played like 1 game for us and none in the NHL. We didn't draft him, just signed him as a FA out of college, so I didn't really follow him. He looked good in his 1 game. Good skater, passer. Decent defense and positioning. He was a bit under-sized. I was impressed for coming from college unheralded and not looking out of place in the NHL. But what his future holds, I'd need a lot more viewings to say for sure. He is probably 5th on our RD depth chart, so I doubt he really gets much of a look barring injury this year. Gun to my head, I have to project where he ends up, I think he can carve out a 3rd pairing/2nd PP role on a decent team in a few years, just not ours.

I'd add that he needs to keep his head up and anticipate contact much better than he has. He looks to have NHL talent, but he's been unable to absorb contact without sustaining injury or concussion. May simply be too frail for the physicality of the league.

Reinke is a complete unknown, but I suspect he's AHL-depth for as long as he's in the Blues organization.
Does a left-handed Ryan Ellis make sense as a comparable player? I think the future looks pretty bright for Mr. Dunn.

Too early to say on Blais and Reinke at this point.

Blais ran into a bit of bad luck with injuries but was a surprise coming out of training camp and heading into the regular season last year. When in the line-up, he mainly played with Schwartz and Schenn surprisingly.

Reinke was signed as a college free agent and was thrown straight into the fire. In the 1 game he played, you didn't notice when he was on the ice which is a good thing considering his experience level. Had Reinke been in the lineup the last 4 games in April over the atrocious Chris Butler, Blues probably make the playoffs. I winced every time Butler was on the ice. One play in particular stands out from the 4/4 game against Chicago where we proceeded to blow a 3-1 lead. Butler took a terrible penalty with 2 minutes left in the game and Chicago proceeded to score the game winner on the PP with 9 seconds left.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Looks like we added two players to prospect camp next week.

Grant Frederic is Trent’s older brother (23 years old), a 6’3” RHD at Miami (Ohio). No goals and 7 assists through his sophomore season.

The other is somebody named Michael Davis, and frankly I have no idea who it is. Apparently he’s a defenseman, but he has no eliteprospects page unless he’s the guy who played a year of high school hockey in Tennessee in 2007-2008.

Edit:
They misspelled his name, it’s actually Michael Davies*. St. Louisan, 21 yo, 5’8” LD just finished his sophomore season at DU. 4 goals, 22 assists through 2 seasons there.

Last edited:
Reactions: STLomacneko

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like we added two players to prospect camp next week.

Grant Frederic is Trent’s older brother (23 years old), a 6’3” RHD at Miami (Ohio). No goals and 7 assists through his sophomore season.

The other is somebody named Michael Davis, and frankly I have no idea who it is. Apparently he’s a defenseman, but he has no eliteprospects page unless he’s the guy who played a year of high school hockey in Tennessee in 2007-2008.

Hey morty can you create prospect camp thread? Where we can all talk about everything about camp and if we get some members previews how prospects looks etc.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have actually managed to get all the necessary days off to attend prospect camp. I plan on doing another big write up on the prospects like I did last year.

If there are any lesser known players you would like me to focus on let me know and I will try to spend some extra time watching them.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I have actually managed to get all the necessary days off to attend prospect camp. I plan on doing another big write up on the prospects like I did last year.

If there are any lesser known players you would like me to focus on let me know and I will try to spend some extra time watching them.
Foley would be someone I'd key in on as none of us really know much about him. Also interested in Noel after his solid season.

Thanks in advance!

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

We will need to compare notes while we're there.

Reactions: STLomacneko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->