Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A San Antonio player shoved an opponent heavily to the ice, who then slammed into the end boards. The opponent got up with vengeance in mind, and a scrum ensued. The San Antonio player handled the opponents in the scrum pretty easily, like a man against boys.

I couldn't make out the name of the San Antonio forward until the officials restored order, but it turned out to be Kostin.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
A San Antonio player shoved an opponent heavily to the ice, who then slammed into the end boards. The opponent got up with vengeance in mind, and a scrum ensued. The San Antonio player handled the opponents in the scrum pretty easily, like a man against boys.

I couldn't make out the name of the San Antonio forward until the officials restored order, but it turned out to be Kostin.
He's a big boy and can definitely fight. Now if only he could find the net with some regularity we might have ourselves a Lucic clone. Don't think he's quite as mean as Lucic used to be, but he's only 19 playing against guys who are mostly several years older than him. If he was in the CHL he would be an absolute nightmare for those kids.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Look at Alex Nylander with Buffalo. Euro 18 year olds that go straight to the AHL typically struggle for a couple years, we really shouldn't be that concerned with Kostin. Once again it's a classic case of fans that haven't watched him, over-hyping him because of reading some scouting reports, and that leading to unrealistic expectations.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He's a big boy and can definitely fight. Now if only he could find the net with some regularity we might have ourselves a Lucic clone. Don't think he's quite as mean as Lucic used to be, but he's only 19 playing against guys who are mostly several years older than him. If he was in the CHL he would be an absolute nightmare for those kids.

Which is why he is right where he needs to be. Why learn a game of physical dominance and power moves when you get to the NHL you won't be that dominant and have to make adjustments later? Learn to play the game other ways at a higher level and become a complete player amongst better talent. If he only skated 4th line minutes, then I would be concerned. If he's getting a regular shift +, then he's learning where he needs to be.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Which is why he is right where he needs to be. Why learn a game of physical dominance and power moves when you get to the NHL you won't be that dominant and have to make adjustments later? Learn to play the game other ways at a higher level and become a complete player amongst better talent. If he only skated 4th line minutes, then I would be concerned. If he's getting a regular shift +, then he's learning where he needs to be.
I didn't mean to imply he should be in the CHL. It was meant more as an observation. He's so big and strong and still only 19. His goal scoring is up a touch to start the year, but I'd like to see him finish with 15-20. He's only on pace for about 10 right now, but the Rampage seem to be turning things around a bit recently so hopefully that leads to some higher offensive output from guys like Kostin and Kyrou.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
The good news about Kostin is his statistics relative to his similar aged peers in international tournaments. Kostin was averaging 4th line minutes in the WJC, but was still Russia's highest scorer. Svechnikov was on his line, but he ended up with half the points Kostin did, and I remember many fans saying that Kostin looked like Russia's best player throughout the tournament. Granted, I personally hate rating junior tournaments because it's such a small sample size relative to career numbers, but it's all we got for this kind comparison.

His AHL stats aren't going to wow anyone, but I don't think he's doing anything that indicates he won't have an NHL career. I still think he'd be more noticed in Kootenay (I think that was the junior teams that owned his rights) and wouldn't be surprised if he was well over a PPG there the last two years. He's so versatile with an arsenal of, at least, above-average tools. Just thinking it about him and Krebs together is a fun thought as a junior combo.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The good news about Kostin is his statistics relative to his similar aged peers in international tournaments. Kostin was averaging 4th line minutes in the WJC, but was still Russia's highest scorer. Svechnikov was on his line, but he ended up with half the points Kostin did, and I remember many fans saying that Kostin looked like Russia's best player throughout the tournament. Granted, I personally hate rating junior tournaments because it's such a small sample size relative to career numbers, but it's all we got for this kind comparison.

His AHL stats aren't going to wow anyone, but I don't think he's doing anything that indicates he won't have an NHL career. I still think he'd be more noticed in Kootenay (I think that was the junior teams that owned his rights) and wouldn't be surprised if he was well over a PPG there the last two years. He's so versatile with an arsenal of, at least, above-average tools. Just thinking it about him and Krebs together is a fun thought as a junior combo.
I have no doubt he would be above PPG in the CHL. Jaskin was nearly 2 PPG in his draft+2 season(granted in the Q) and I think Klim is a better skater and possesses a much better shot than Dmitri. At the WJC last year Kostin was an absolute beast. The Russian coach was highly questionable with his ice time(as Russian coaches tend to be) and he still led the entire tournament in points per games played(slightly higher than Mittlestadt and Necas). He obviously has some holes in his game and he still seems to try to do everything himself, but talent is unquestionably there. You don't get to draft too many kids at the end of the first round with his combination of size and skill. Still might not pan out, but I still have pretty high hopes for him.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I like Kostin fine, but considering our depth at forward vs. defense... I do wonder if we shouldn’t have taken Hague instead. That would have been a good get. Perunovich is very talented and brings something none of our other dmen really bring, Tucker and Andersson are both doing very well and play a physical game, but.... man Hague would be nice right about now. With one assist so far, Mikkola won’t be the answer we’re looking for.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I like Kostin fine, but considering our depth at forward vs. defense... I do wonder if we shouldn’t have taken Hague instead. That would have been a good get. Perunovich is very talented and brings something none of our other dmen really bring, Tucker and Andersson are both doing very well and play a physical game, but.... man Hague would be nice right about now. With one assist so far, Mikkola won’t be the answer we’re looking for.
I'm not entirely certain what you were expecting out of Mikkola. His game has always been about defensive positioning, physicality, and being able to control the slot area on the defensive end of the ice. His skating is among the best I've ever seen for someone as big as he is. He's able to effortlessly glide to cut off offensive scoring chances and makes use of his body very effectively. However, his weakness has always been puck control. He can distribute and receive passes okay, but his ability to handle the puck in speed has always been what sets him back offensively. That, and his shot is pretty darn weak.

He's been a very solid defensive defenseman all through his career, and was a top-pairing player on one of Finland's top professional teams. But at no point has he been a player that was going to become an offensive player. Saying that, he's probably the most NHL ready defensive prospect the Blues have right now. He could become a good bottom-4 player with top-pairing aspirations if paired with an effective offensive threat.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Gunnar seems to have something left, but how Mikkola plays his game I view he would ideal choice for that job. Fatherish, simple snd safe plays whst he represents should be currently above Jbo's performance.

Hsrd to know where he's now when haven't see him play any games at AHL, but at pre-season he did impress me and give me same view what he did when he played at Finland.

Reactions: Zamadoo

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
My point with Mikkola is that we can’t afford to have a guy on our roster scoring ~5 points a season, no matter who it is. Yes, I know he’s a stay-at-home guy, yes I know he’s physical, yes I know he can skate. But if he isn’t producing offensively, he’s going to end up like Lindbohm, for whom many of the same things could be said. I mean 1 point in the AHL so far? Come on... for a guy his age, that is not nearly good enough. If he’s really that good at moving the puck, he should at least be getting assists. The fact that he’s not is problematic. I had hope that his offensive game would grow in North America, and even considering the small sample size, the little red light is starting to blink imo.

Reactions: Celtic Note

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
My point with Mikkola is that we can’t afford to have a guy on our roster scoring ~5 points a season, no matter who it is. Yes, I know he’s a stay-at-home guy, yes I know he’s physical, yes I know he can skate. But if he isn’t producing offensively, he’s going to end up like Lindbohm, for whom many of the same things could be said. I mean 1 point in the AHL so far? Come on... for a guy his age, that is not nearly good enough. If he’s really that good at moving the puck, he should at least be getting assists. The fact that he’s not is problematic. I had hope that his offensive game would grow in North America, and even considering the small sample size, the little red light is starting to blink imo.

If you are as good defensively as some here have said he is, you can afford a couple of guys on the team that are like that. Especially a third pairing defenseman.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If you are as good defensively as some here have said he is, you can afford a couple of guys on the team that are like that. Especially a third pairing defenseman.
I mean 5 points is really bad though. Even a guy like Bouwmeester or Bortuzzo should be able to put up 10-15 points in a full season.

If you can move the puck at all, you should easily be able to pickup more than 5 assists in a season.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Especially if he isn't playing on PP, which I assume he isn't, whether he picks up points is really at mercy of whether forwards convert. So long as they aren't generating offense he won't get much. I don't suppose he is highly skilled with puck, but his numbers look worse bc guys like Kostin and Kyrou aren't producing enough up front.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am imagining a Roman Polak now

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Chris f***ing Butler f*** is your #1 dmen and get most icetime + most PP icetime there is something wrong in the system. Even monkey will get points if he sits at blueline at powerpkay and get majority of o-zone starts.

But if points is criteria for NHL call-up we don't have anything to discuss here. @MortiestOfMortys

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Wah? Jerabek hasn't risen to the top of the AHL depth chart? But he was so close to being an NHL roster player when they traded for him.

Can someone tell me a more inexplicable trade? (OK, if you gave Jerabek a concussion first, then traded for him, that might qualify.)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wah? Jerabek hasn't risen to the top of the AHL depth chart? But he was so close to being an NHL roster player when they traded for him.

Can someone tell me a more inexplicable trade? (OK, if you gave Jerabek a concussion first, then traded for him, that might qualify.)
Looks like Jerabek has been pretty decent for them.

Dec 15, 2002
I'm not entirely certain what you were expecting out of Mikkola. His game has always been about defensive positioning, physicality, and being able to control the slot area on the defensive end of the ice. His skating is among the best I've ever seen for someone as big as he is. He's able to effortlessly glide to cut off offensive scoring chances and makes use of his body very effectively. However, his weakness has always been puck control. He can distribute and receive passes okay, but his ability to handle the puck in speed has always been what sets him back offensively. That, and his shot is pretty darn weak.

He's been a very solid defensive defenseman all through his career, and was a top-pairing player on one of Finland's top professional teams. But at no point has he been a player that was going to become an offensive player. Saying that, he's probably the most NHL ready defensive prospect the Blues have right now. He could become a good bottom-4 player with top-pairing aspirations if paired with an effective offensive threat.
This makes no sense, unless you're confining this to his AHL potential. Great that he was a top-pairing guy in Finland; Tom Koivisto was also a top-pairing guy in Finland and was best defenseman over there one year. NHL defensemen who are offensively limited and struggle to handle the puck are not top-pairing guys on any team, and they're not 2nd-pairing guys unless you're talking about some team that lacks depth on defense. His defensive awareness is what makes him a perfect 5/6 guy, where you can limit his ice time as needed so he's not exposed.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This makes no sense, unless you're confining this to his AHL potential. Great that he was a top-pairing guy in Finland; Tom Koivisto was also a top-pairing guy in Finland and was best defenseman over there one year. NHL defensemen who are offensively limited and struggle to handle the puck are not top-pairing guys on any team, and they're not 2nd-pairing guys unless you're talking about some team that lacks depth on defense. His defensive awareness is what makes him a perfect 5/6 guy, where you can limit his ice time as needed so he's not exposed.
Oh wow, I had no clue being a top-pairing defensemen as a 20 - 21 year old in a professional league was something to ignore. Well geez, I guess potential is based solely on what one does when he isn’t in a different country.

As for the rest, I’m not here to change anyone’s mind, but Mikkola’s strength is not just his defensive awareness. The more I hear people talk about him, the more I get the impression they don’t understand just how good his skating actually is. It wouldn’t matter how good his defensive awareness is because if he didn’t have his skating, he wouldn’t even be on my radar for being a legitimate NHL prospect. It’s been the thing that made him a top-pairing defenseman in Europe despite putting up ~13 points. His ability to read plays, act upon it with his skating, and throw his weight around while he’s at it, are something you don’t find in defenseman that often. So yes, I do believe it’s good enough to put him on a second-pairing, and even a top-pairing if placed with someone that could compliment his deficiencies. Would that player have to be a Karlsson type player for it to work? Probably. But I don’t cater to the line of thinking that pairings work by always having a top-pairing defenseman with another top-pairing defenseman, always having a 2nd-pairing defenseman with a 2nd-pairing defenseman, and so forth.

Oh, and for anyone who is going to compare Mikkola to Lindbohm, I can’t get behind that at all simply because Lindbohm’s issue was always based around his intelligence. He would routinely find himself out of position to make a hit, leading to an odd-man rush. He always had the ability to be an NHLer, just couldn’t learn an NHL game. I’m not saying Mikkola will be a sure fire NHLer, but I think the reason he won’t will fall on how well he can develop his ability to control the puck and if his distribution ability is good enough for the NHL.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson were both coming off surgeries, and in the case of Bouwmeester, he had been in decline the last two seasons. It seemed that we had no left-handed defensemen in the organization ready for NHL duty if either Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson failed.

The Blues supposedly received a favorable report on Jerabek from J. J. Daigneault from his observation during Jerabek's time with Montreal. So we acquired him.

I have no idea how he has been doing in San Antonio. The Rampage has a poor record, and it might be hard to tell how Jerabek is doing by looking at his individual stats.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson were both coming off surgeries, and in the case of Bouwmeester, he had been in decline the last two seasons. It seemed that we had no left-handed defensemen in the organization ready for NHL duty if either Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson failed.

The Blues supposedly received a favorable report on Jerabek from J. J. Daigneault from his observation during Jerabek's time with Montreal. So we acquired him.

I have no idea how he has been doing in San Antonio. The Rampage has a poor record, and it might be hard to tell how Jerabek is doing by looking at his individual stats.
Where did you hear about the scouting report? For me the entire transaction was inscrutable. It was just one more detail in a baffling season so far for this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad