Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Man I totally forgot about Foley. That really sucks because he looked like a player in the prospect camp and Traverse City. Hearing nothing about it is pretty concerning, but I guess it's not a super high interest piece, so reporters probably haven't asked too often. We're pretty much the only ones who would care about that sort of thing.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Germany up 3-0 on Norway looking for second win of tournament in as many games. Good news for them, if they manage (as favorites) to win division 1A they may find themselves in the big show next year and we can watch bokk under the big lights

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Bokk with a nice sequence on the Germany PP. Good keep in and a beautiful pass to teammate for a goal. Guy looks impressive with the puck not gonna lie.
His one timer from the left circle and his puck skills are his biggest asset. He is a pickpocket too when he hustles. Not a go getter for the puck often though, more of a sneaky guy. But his shot is above average which is excellent.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Minor move, but Kaspick got re-assigned to Tulsa of the ECHL. Rough start to his pro career, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt a little bit here and assume that his summer injury (during Traverse City? I forget) has something to do with it.

Even still, if the decision was made to sign him instead of Glenn Gawdin- which I suspect is true - it isn’t turning out to be a very good one so far. Gawdin is doing fine in Stockton. Again, we’re talking small-ish potatoes here and I doubt either carves out a noticeable NHL career, but I sure would feel a lot better right now if San Antonio was doing better. Those small moves, EVERY small move, makes a difference somehow.

Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see what the Chad Johnson domino effect does to Tulsa. They have Devin Williams in net now with Fitzpatrick moving up to the AHL level, and a plug holding the fort until a more permanent fix comes along. Ideally that would be Opilka’s net now, but with his retirement, it’ll probably be a call-up from a lower league like the SPHL. Either way, now would be a good time to sign a guy like Stephen Dhillon, unless he thinks he can score a more secure AHL deal somewhere else next year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Minor move, but Kaspick got re-assigned to Tulsa of the ECHL. Rough start to his pro career, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt a little bit here and assume that his summer injury (during Traverse City? I forget) has something to do with it.

Even still, if the decision was made to sign him instead of Glenn Gawdin- which I suspect is true - it isn’t turning out to be a very good one so far. Gawdin is doing fine in Stockton. Again, we’re talking small-ish potatoes here and I doubt either carves out a noticeable NHL career, but I sure would feel a lot better right now if San Antonio was doing better. Those small moves, EVERY small move, makes a difference somehow.

Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see what the Chad Johnson domino effect does to Tulsa. They have Devin Williams in net now with Fitzpatrick moving up to the AHL level, and a plug holding the fort until a more permanent fix comes along. Ideally that would be Opilka’s net now, but with his retirement, it’ll probably be a call-up from a lower league like the SPHL. Either way, now would be a good time to sign a guy like Stephen Dhillon, unless he thinks he can score a more secure AHL deal somewhere else next year.

There is about 1 year difference between Kaspick and Gawdin, but like you said, neither are likely to even make it to the NHL.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Binnington was smiling pretty big on the bench last night. Seeing that Chad Johnson is out of the picture for good now, he's got to feel like he has an NHL job for at least the rest of the year.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Binnington was smiling pretty big on the bench last night. Seeing that Chad Johnson is out of the picture for good now, he's got to feel like he has an NHL job for at least the rest of the year.
Yeah, that striked to me also. He was clearly loving there. Good for him and hopefully he'll get some games and success.

Great job by Army if he decided to give away Johnson. We should have gone with this same path when we clearly saw team won't go deep run in this year. Well at least they did it and not waited for spring and gave then couple games for our kids Binnington and Husso.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yeah, that striked to me also. He was clearly loving there. Good for him and hopefully he'll get some games and success.

Great job by Army if he decided to give away Johnson. We should have gone with this same path when we clearly saw team won't go deep run in this year. Well at least they did it and not waited for spring and gave then couple games for our kids Binnington and Husso.
They definitely timed the waivers placement in such a way to increase the chance someone would claim Johnson. I think the team didn't mind him going elsewhere. Maybe that was just as a favor to Johnson, to give his career one more chance. But I think it also says they have confidence one of the AHL guys can be a serviceable back-up.

Binnington now KNOWS he's going to get his shot. Its got to be a good feeling after being in the AHL several years and being called up a few times just to sit and watch.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
They definitely timed the waivers placement in such a way to increase the chance someone would claim Johnson. I think the team didn't mind him going elsewhere. Maybe that was just as a favor to Johnson, to give his career one more chance. But I think it also says they have confidence one of the AHL guys can be a serviceable back-up.

Binnington now KNOWS he's going to get his shot. Its got to be a good feeling after being in the AHL several years and being called up a few times just to sit and watch.

His career path has been pretty nuts, honestly.
  • Get drafted, do decently well in juniors
  • Start out in the ECHL, start 40 games while Allen does his thing in Chicago with Climie
  • Start 40 games in Chicago, beating out Climie for a starter (or at least 1A) job
  • Start 40 games after Copley comes to town and pushes for a job and arguably outperforms him
  • Get relegated to 3rd in rotation after Husso gets called up and he takes some stupid penalties and gets suspended
  • Get sent to Massachusetts to play for a different team’s affiliate so the new golden boy (Husso) can be with the “main” affiliate
  • Come in as a clear backup to Husso in San Antonio, with new golden boy Fitzpatrick breathing down your neck in Tulsa
  • See Husso get called up first when Allen had that scary almost-injury earlier in the year
  • Take the reigns after Husso steps on his own schnitzels and stabilize a horrific season
  • Get into a fight
  • The Blues waive their backup goalie and call you up, presumably for good.
That’s a pretty wild story.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013

Thanks for the update on Kaspick. I think he actually he has some pretty good potential, similar to Blais.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I could remember he has played one or two games in NHL couple years back and it wasn't pretty.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
It would be a huge shot in the arm to the morale of this franchise if Binnington can prove to be a capable backup moving forward. Depending on what direction we go after moving on from Allen, if Binn can prove enough to be trusted to hold the fort for 20 games or so and allow Husso to regain his form and find some confidence over the course of the next year or two by being the guy in SA. Best of luck to the kid, he has certainly had to scrap to get a shot.

Reactions: Brockon

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Leafs fan here, I saw Mathias Laferriere play tonight and was pretty impressed. He was second star and was really the only player who stood out to me. Scored a goal around the net showing good hands and also made an amazing defensive play to save a goal - he was covering the point and the other team got a breakaway, the guy had a step on him and Laferriere made a brilliant play to steal the puck without taking a penalty, showed a lot of skill. Not sure if he will pan out but looks like a decent 6th round pick for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad