OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not familiar with that organization, but I agree that there are widespread problems across many poorer communities that would benefit from better policy and more resources. Amazingly cutting taxes, starving services, kicking people out of mental health facilities, and more potent and readily available street drugs led to terrible results.
I don't know if the last line is supposed to imply one party is responsible, but it's clear both parties have had disastrous policies over the past 20-30 years specifically.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
First of all, reading this was really cool. Respectful, nuanced and interesting. Kudos to ya'll- I am really not used to seeing this kind of exchange on the internet nowadays.

Acknowledging that systematic racism is real and has had wide-ranging consequences to communities of color needs to be the universally understood truth that it is. Ignoring historically documented phenomena like redlining or white flight is tantamount to arguing against the existence of gravity. Though there is certainly an element of personal choice in the issues facing impoverished communities in STL, ignoring the systematic racism that directly contributed to their material conditions is denying reality.

Of course, the question is how to fix it, and I get exasperated seeing the conversation shift to victim blaming and pseudo-phrenology rather than offering solutions.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not to be political, but I respect the hell out of Jon Stewart for actually doing something to help 9/11 first responders and veterans. Too often people involved in politics are just grifters looking to make a lot of dollars, but he actually seems genuine in a non-partisan way. Proper healthcare for those individuals should not be a partisan issue and it shouldn't be something that we have to fight for. They earned that benefit, so take care of them.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Anyone ever tried disc golf? I just started playing a month or so ago and I’m really hooked on it.

Right after highschool when me and a bunch of my friends all moved out to our own places and were completely broke we started to play. For the price of a $10 disc you could play all summer, we would have a blast. Now we are all old and moved away. I could not imagine how sore my elbow would be if I tried to throw like that again lol

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree, I clearly .... lean to one side but I fully admit BOTH parties can suck it
I probably lean one way more than the other, but it’s only because I have to make a decision. I identify as independent and find it insulting if anyone classifies me according to a party. Both parties are an abomination and do not have the best interest of their constituents at heart. It’s all a series of power plays.

Time just had an article that basically sums up how bad our politicians and corporate leaders have failed :“The Top 1% of Americans Have Taken $50 Trillion From the Bottom 90%—And That's Made the U.S. Less Secure“. Pretty good read and has validated a hypothesis that I have long concluded.

Anyway, My preference would be to do away with parties and vote based on the individual only. Personal accountably is the only way out of this mess IMO.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Right after highschool when me and a bunch of my friends all moved out to our own places and were completely broke we started to play. For the price of a $10 disc you could play all summer, we would have a blast. Now we are all old and moved away. I could not imagine how sore my elbow would be if I tried to throw like that again lol
It’s incredible how cheap it is. Most courses are free, can play an entire round with one disc if you want, there are courses everywhere around St. Louis so you never have to drive that far etc. Only things I’ve really spent any money on are a practice basket and a nice pair of water resistant shoes, neither of which are a necessity by any means. If I ever get to a point that I’m actually decent it’s really going to be tough to put down.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Anyone ever tried disc golf? I just started playing a month or so ago and I’m really hooked on it.
I play occasionally. I played Ultimate intercollegiately, so it was kind of an extension of those skills minus the running.

I see a lot of guys carrying around like 20 disks. It’s ridiculous. You need a good driver, a soft putter, and some kind of midrange disk that you can work the angles on. Seriously, 3 disks is all I usually use. I think it’s better to get really familiar with a few disks than to keep pulling out something different for different situations.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Pulling this form the other thread to the more appropriate place.
I've lived in various places because of the military and St. Louis has more racial tension than anywhere I've ever lived :(
Having lived other places as well, I have reached a similar conclusion. There is also a strong City vs County level of resentment which makes no logical sense. It’s really strange, because generally St. Louis is one of the more polite places. It seems like such a paradox. But, maybe that’s because I experience it as someone classified in the majority. Or maybe it’s superficial? I am guessing that it is the former if you are white and the later for minorities from particular groups.

(Insert giant asterisk) This is a large scale, aggregate-based, generalization and not everyone falls into the general grouping.

Whenever I tell someone that St. Louis has very large racial issues, I almost always get pushback and told other places are just as racist or have the same racial problems (as if that makes it ok or defensible). But, that is not what I have experienced. I have noticed that most of the people that say these things have not lived in other cities. Some that do say it isn’t as bad as other places and have lived in other cities often have lived in the south, which historically follows a trend. I think we can collectively comprehend why that would be the case.

I say these things not to stoke flames or as an attempt to insult. Rather, I hope it gets people to think about it in a different way than maybe they were accustomed. Admittedly, in the past I was naive to these problems and in my youth said things that I wish I never had. It took someone sitting down with me and showing the error of my ways for me to make a change. Frankly, I resisted at first because I didn’t want to believe that. My ego pushed back. I tried to justify things. Tried to point the finger elsewhere. But, ultimately came to accept and change. Hopefully more can take a similar journey.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Pulling this form the other thread to the more appropriate place.

Having lived other places as well, I have reached a similar conclusion. There is also a strong City vs County level of resentment which makes no logical sense. It’s really strange, because generally St. Louis is one of the more polite places. It seems like such a paradox. But, maybe that’s because I experience it as someone classified in the majority. Or maybe it’s superficial? I am guessing that it is the former if you are white and the later for minorities from particular groups.

(Insert giant asterisk) This is a large scale, aggregate-based, generalization and not everyone falls into the general grouping.

Whenever I tell someone that St. Louis has very large racial issues, I almost always get pushback and told other places are just as racist or have the same racial problems (as if that makes it ok or defensible). But, that is not what I have experienced. I have noticed that most of the people that say these things have not lived in other cities. Some that do say it isn’t as bad as other places and have lived in other cities often have lived in the south, which historically follows a trend. I think we can collectively comprehend why that would be the case.

I say these things not to stoke flames or as an attempt to insult. Rather, I hope it gets people to think about it in a different way than maybe they were accustomed. Admittedly, in the past I was naive to these problems and in my youth said things that I wish I never had. It took someone sitting down with me and showing the error of my ways for me to make a change. Frankly, I resisted at first because I didn’t want to believe that. My ego pushed back. I tried to justify things. Tried to point the finger elsewhere. But, ultimately came to accept and change. Hopefully more can take a similar journey.
Very well said. Racial issues are no way unique to St. Louis but our city/county divide and municipal balkanization make the issues we have severe.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
john mozaliek needed to be fired 4 years ago

this is the result

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not to be political, but I respect the hell out of Jon Stewart for actually doing something to help 9/11 first responders and veterans. Too often people involved in politics are just grifters looking to make a lot of dollars, but he actually seems genuine in a non-partisan way. Proper healthcare for those individuals should not be a partisan issue and it shouldn't be something that we have to fight for. They earned that benefit, so take care of them.

I probably lean one way more than the other, but it’s only because I have to make a decision. I identify as independent and find it insulting if anyone classifies me according to a party. Both parties are an abomination and do not have the best interest of their constituents at heart. It’s all a series of power plays.

Time just had an article that basically sums up how bad our politicians and corporate leaders have failed :“The Top 1% of Americans Have Taken $50 Trillion From the Bottom 90%—And That's Made the U.S. Less Secure“. Pretty good read and has validated a hypothesis that I have long concluded.

Anyway, My preference would be to do away with parties and vote based on the individual only. Personal accountably is the only way out of this mess IMO.

I feel like both of y'all (and probably some others around here) would appreciate the work Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti are doing on their show Rising over on The Hill. Apologies if this sort of thing is not allowed, mods. I have zero financial stake in this organization, just a fan of their work and want to share it with some others who may be like-minded.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPWXiRWZ29zrxPFIQT7eHSA

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
john mozaliek needed to be fired 4 years ago

this is the result
The Cards are an organization resting on their laurels. 2011-2015 were awesome, but it seems like every touted hitting prospect we've promoted since OT died has come up, struggled or been less than billed or gotten traded. Goldy was the first move in a long while I loved, but I can't help but think trading some of our pitching prospects over the past 5 years for hitting help would have gotten us in October at least a few more times, especially considering our pitching prospects can't stay healthy either.

But the good 'ol BFIB will shell out anyway, and so management hasn't had to do much for their cash cow. But since there was no ticket revenue this year and who knows about next, maybe they'll pay for a better lineup.

That or Molina and Wainwright retire and we go into a rebuild.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The Cards are an organization resting on their laurels. 2011-2015 were awesome, but it seems like every touted hitting prospect we've promoted since OT died has come up, struggled or been less than billed or gotten traded. Goldy was the first move in a long while I loved, but I can't help but think trading some of our pitching prospects over the past 5 years for hitting help would have gotten us in October at least a few more times, especially considering our pitching prospects can't stay healthy either.

But the good 'ol BFIB will shell out anyway, and so management hasn't had to do much for their cash cow. But since there was no ticket revenue this year and who knows about next, maybe they'll pay for a better lineup.

That or Molina and Wainwright retire and we go into a rebuild.
It’s been poorly managed over the last few years. I said hitting was the downfall before losing Ozuna and then we lost him and did nothing to replace him. And, I was not a big Ozuna fan.

Reactions: Spear

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
It’s been poorly managed over the last few years. I said hitting was the downfall before losing Ozuna and then we lost him and did nothing to replace him. And, I was not a big Ozuna fan.
Man. That's one of the most egregious ones. Ozuna was money for the Braves this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad