OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I frequently hear an advertisement on the radio in the mornings here in St. Louis. The ads are designed to interest you in buying a car.

The spokesperson in the ad sounds like Minerva Pious playing Mrs. Nussbaum on the old Fred Allen radio show. The music in the background includes the old Dragnet theme, and they tell you its a crime to pay more than a dime.

I don't know how effective this ad campaign has been, but I have to think that more than 90% of the listeners are too young to remember the Fred Allen Show, and only dimly recall the Dragnet show. Maybe its higher than 90%.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
One time I stood on the flight deck at the very front of an aircraft carrier while it sailed up a river. It was very odd. You could only see land on both sides of the ship. I still dream about it to this day. In my dreams the ship is going very fast though :)

It was the USS Harry S. Truman on the Elizabeth River.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I have Sling and it works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes I see a dip in quality where it will go to like 360P resolution for like 10 seconds, and that's pretty annoying, but not really that big of a deal. Our first month with it we almost cancelled though because it would frequently stop working outright. Just a black screen as it tried to load the program. It hasn't happened in a while and I really hope it doesn't happen in the playoffs. I had the cable go out when the Blues won the series against Minnesota a couple years ago and almost cancelled cable right then. I should've, honestly, but it took me another year. Don't miss it at all.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have Sling and it works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes I see a dip in quality where it will go to like 360P resolution for like 10 seconds, and that's pretty annoying, but not really that big of a deal. Our first month with it we almost cancelled though because it would frequently stop working outright. Just a black screen as it tried to load the program. It hasn't happened in a while and I really hope it doesn't happen in the playoffs. I had the cable go out when the Blues won the series against Minnesota a couple years ago and almost cancelled cable right then. I should've, honestly, but it took me another year. Don't miss it at all.
It’s like 1/10th what I was paying for DirecTV. But I’ll need to get NHL TV to watch regular season games since I can’t see the out of region FSMW feed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
So I'm visiting a friend in GA for the Masters and I'm not sure how I'm going to watch the games Wednesday or Friday. NHL TV doesn't include the playoffs, right? And if he doesn't get NHL Network I'm just screwed because he definitely doesn't get FSMW?

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So I'm visiting a friend in GA for the Masters and I'm not sure how I'm going to watch the games Wednesday or Friday. NHL TV doesn't include the playoffs, right? And if he doesn't get NHL Network I'm just screwed because he definitely doesn't get FSMW?
For about $30 bucks, you can get Sling TV for a month, with added NHL Network and NBC Sports channels. I figured t was cheaper than a night at A sports bar or Buffalo Wild Wings, which is what I usually do. That’s what I would do.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For about $30 bucks, you can get Sling TV for a month, with added NHL Network and NBC Sports channels. I figured t was cheaper than a night at A sports bar or Buffalo Wild Wings, which is what I usually do. That’s what I would do.

Good luck getting them to put a hockey game on at a sports bar in Georgia. First off, they have to carry the hockey package at all, which is uncommon in the South (although they might have NHL network). Then they have to be dead enough that they can spare a TV to cater to one person. I had trouble in Orlando, Florida getting games on at sports bars, even the Lightening. My local bars that knew me would do it if they carried the game, but I had an established relationship of tipping well.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Good luck getting them to put a hockey game on at a sports bar in Georgia. First off, they have to carry the hockey package at all, which is uncommon in the South (although they might have NHL network). Then they have to be dead enough that they can spare a TV to cater to one person. I had trouble in Orlando, Florida getting games on at sports bars, even the Lightening. My local bars that knew me would do it if they carried the game, but I had an established relationship of tipping well.
Buffalo Wild Wings has never let me down.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, Sling, DirectTV NOW, or Playstation VUE.
i use directv now and havent had a issue since the first 3-6 months of their launch.

but they are constantly raising prices. started at 35 and next month it will be at 50 for the same plan. im grandfathered in but still annoying to see.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
i use directv now and havent had a issue since the first 3-6 months of their launch.

but they are constantly raising prices. started at 35 and next month it will be at 50 for the same plan. im grandfathered in but still annoying to see.
I've been on it for about a year now, and just looked at their new prices, and I probably would pass at what they are now. For some of the channels I would want, it would be crazy expensive now.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I've been on it for about a year now, and just looked at their new prices, and I probably would pass at what they are now. For some of the channels I would want, it would be crazy expensive now.
ya really stupid of them to raise prices. i really could care less about the free HBO they are giving me, would rather have $10 extra a month to spend on things i actually want to watch.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We don't have a "hockey OT" thread, so this is the place I'll have to vent.

I would love to have a thread where everyone can post all their "I think the NHL schedule should be __________" ideas, and they can be debated there endlessly until people get tired of it. Because I swear over the course of my career here at HF, I've easily seen 5,000 of them and every one of them is the best, most fair, most logical idea EVAR and at least 4,999 of them are totally off-topic to whatever thread they're posted in.

Reactions: STLomacneko

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Hello, coming in peace

My name is DuckTech and I am your newly drafted fan of a losing team.

I know it's going to be damned hard to guess what team I came from but I will leave it for all of you to guess. I bring a depressing amount of alcohol knowledge and I own my company so I dictate my schedule. I'll post stupidity regularly, generally in the form of meme's, gifs, and puns. Just let me know which avatar you want me to have and I will make a change.

Added bonus if we make the next round I'll change my name to something bluer!

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hello, coming in peace

I know it's going to be damned hard to guess what team I came from but I will leave it for all of you to guess. I bring a depressing amount of alcohol knowledge and I own my company so I dictate my schedule. I'll post stupidity regularly, generally in the form of meme's, gifs, and puns. Just let me know which avatar you want me to have and I will make a change.

Welcome, and glad to have you.

How bout making him a Good, Bad and Ugly avatar that has a Ducks logo or player in there with the Blues Cup logo frame too?

I just showed my 18y old son the 10 minute showdown scene at the end of The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Even with his modern attention span it grabbed him.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Hello, coming in peace

Hell yeah brother.

Welcome

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Hello, coming in peace

Welcome to the jungle baby

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Welcome to the jungle baby
giphy.gif

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Welcome, and glad to have you.

How bout making him a Good, Bad and Ugly avatar that has a Ducks logo or player in there with the Blues Cup logo frame too?

I just showed my 18y old son the 10 minute showdown scene at the end of The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Even with his modern attention span it grabbed him.
hqdefault.jpg

Potential entry for whoever makes the avatars for our new draftee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad