OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I feel like both of y'all (and probably some others around here) would appreciate the work Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti are doing on their show Rising over on The Hill. Apologies if this sort of thing is not allowed, mods. I have zero financial stake in this organization, just a fan of their work and want to share it with some others who may be like-minded.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPWXiRWZ29zrxPFIQT7eHSA

I've been watching them for quite awhile now. I knew the show back when Buck Sexton was in Saagar's spot, they improved with Saagar and I'm glad it's gotten much bigger.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Anyone ever tried disc golf? I just started playing a month or so ago and I’m really hooked on it.
I've been playing for a few years now, and get out multiple times a week most weeks.

Cheaper, faster, and a better workout than regular golf, with all the same enjoyment and a fraction of the learning curve/practice needed to actually enjoy the game. You can play disc golf in almost any weather as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

I highly recommend it.

What courses do you play?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I play occasionally. I played Ultimate intercollegiately, so it was kind of an extension of those skills minus the running.

I see a lot of guys carrying around like 20 disks. It’s ridiculous. You need a good driver, a soft putter, and some kind of midrange disk that you can work the angles on. Seriously, 3 disks is all I usually use. I think it’s better to get really familiar with a few disks than to keep pulling out something different for different situations.
Heh. I usually carry 23, and use most of them fairly regularly...but I play a lot of different types of courses in a lot of different types of conditions. I tried the minimalist thing, and it can be fun for shorter/easier courses and quick rounds, but I definitely score better on harder courses with more options.

For what it's worth, I've never been a "feel" player. In golf, I was the sort that would hone a few repeatable swing patterns for things like chipping, then change the club to get the result I wanted from the pattern I was using (think Dave Pelz). My dad just chipped every darn thing with a 9 iron. I did better building a framework of choices to complement a more mechanical approach, and he did better just winging it. Different approaches work better for different people.

I can't imagine playing a difficult course with less than 9 discs at the bare minimum. Two distance drivers (one stable, one understable), three fairways (overstable, stable, understable), two midranges (stable, understable), one overstable driving/approach putter, and a neutral driving/putting putter. I could probably score par on a lot of holes with fewer discs, but not so much getting birdies.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Heh. I usually carry 23, and use most of them fairly regularly...but I play a lot of different types of courses in a lot of different types of conditions. I tried the minimalist thing, and it can be fun for shorter/easier courses and quick rounds, but I definitely score better on harder courses with more options.

For what it's worth, I've never been a "feel" player. In golf, I was the sort that would hone a few repeatable swing patterns for things like chipping, then change the club to get the result I wanted from the pattern I was using (think Dave Pelz). My dad just chipped every darn thing with a 9 iron. I did better building a framework of choices to complement a more mechanical approach, and he did better just winging it. Different approaches work better for different people.

I can't imagine playing a difficult course with less than 9 discs at the bare minimum. Two distance drivers (one stable, one understable), three fairways (overstable, stable, understable), two midranges (stable, understable), one overstable driving/approach putter, and a neutral driving/putting putter. I could probably score par on a lot of holes with fewer discs, but not so much getting birdies.
What exactly are stable vs understable discs?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I feel like both of y'all (and probably some others around here) would appreciate the work Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti are doing on their show Rising over on The Hill. Apologies if this sort of thing is not allowed, mods. I have zero financial stake in this organization, just a fan of their work and want to share it with some others who may be like-minded.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPWXiRWZ29zrxPFIQT7eHSA

I will have to check out their channel. Admittedly, The Hill is one of the sources I rely on for news because they seem smarter and less biased than many other outlets.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
What exactly are stable vs understable discs?
It's a more complicated question than you know, because a disc's stability depends on a number of different factors.

The overly simple answer is that, for a flat right handed backhand throw, an understable disc will want to curve to the right during the high speed portion of its flight, a stable disc will tend to be fairly neutral/straight with minimal turn to the right, and an overstable disc will be very resistant to any sort of turn to the right (to the point where it might actively fight to go left).

You can use different stabilities to your advantage to create a variety of different shot shapes, to take advantage of (or fight against) the wind, to assist you when throwing up or down hills, etc.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I've been playing for a few years now, and get out multiple times a week most weeks.

Cheaper, faster, and a better workout than regular golf, with all the same enjoyment and a fraction of the learning curve/practice needed to actually enjoy the game. You can play disc golf in almost any weather as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

I highly recommend it.

What courses do you play?
I’ve played Arnold, Jokerst, Hillsboro, Carrollton, Unger, Willmore, Zumwalt, and most recently Rolla Lions. I was/am not ready for Carrollton or Unger(though we tried this course just a week or two after we started, we’re much better now, might not be so bad). The length of Carrollton was just too demanding for my buddy and me. A good rip for us only goes 280 or so. Too much course for us, but still a lot of fun.

We’ve been bitten real hard by the disc golf bug. Played 27 holes Saturday and 36 more today. We still aren’t any good, but we’re definitely getting better. Buddy had an ace on like our third round ever and I had a wicked spit out on a blind shot that I thought for sure was an ace by the sound of it, only to find my disc lying next to the basket when I turned the corner.

I’m signed up for my first tournament on the 24th at JB. I’ve never played there(we went up there a few weeks ago to play but there was a tournament in progress), so it’s going to be tough, but I’m not too worried about score at this point, just enjoying the game. I’ll probably try to get a round in up there at some point in the next two weeks.

Are you part of any of the leagues around town?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I’ve played Arnold, Jokerst, Hillsboro, Carrollton, Unger, Willmore, Zumwalt, and most recently Rolla Lions. I was/am not ready for Carrollton or Unger(though we tried this course just a week or two after we started, we’re much better now, might not be so bad). The length of Carrollton was just too demanding for my buddy and me. A good rip for us only goes 280 or so. Too much course for us, but still a lot of fun.

We’ve been bitten real hard by the disc golf bug. Played 27 holes Saturday and 36 more today. We still aren’t any good, but we’re definitely getting better. Buddy had an ace on like our third round ever and I had a wicked spit out on a blind shot that I thought for sure was an ace by the sound of it, only to find my disc lying next to the basket when I turned the corner.

I’m signed up for my first tournament on the 24th at JB. I’ve never played there(we went up there a few weeks ago to play but there was a tournament in progress), so it’s going to be tough, but I’m not too worried about score at this point, just enjoying the game. I’ll probably try to get a round in up there at some point in the next two weeks.

Are you part of any of the leagues around town?
An ace on his third round ever? That's enviable. Took me the better part of a year and a half to get mine, with a number of spit-outs along the way. Wife was there to see it, though, so that was special.

Sounds like a good selection of courses. Just played Carrollton today, and it was pretty hellish with the wind gusting at 30. There are some courses out west, too, if you are ever in that direction. Quail Ridge in particular is a fun course for a wide range of skill levels.

No leagues for me right now. Have a newborn and the wife is high risk, so avoiding bigger gatherings. Will probably do the Schroeder Park random doubles when things ease up since I know some people out there, and probably Logan's random doubles as well.

Let me know if you and your buddy want to catch a round sometime. I'm always down to play with new people.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
An ace on his third round ever? That's enviable. Took me the better part of a year and a half to get mine, with a number of spit-outs along the way. Wife was there to see it, though, so that was special.

Sounds like a good selection of courses. Just played Carrollton today, and it was pretty hellish with the wind gusting at 30. There are some courses out west, too, if you are ever in that direction. Quail Ridge in particular is a fun course for a wide range of skill levels.

No leagues for me right now. Have a newborn and the wife is high risk, so avoiding bigger gatherings. Will probably do the Schroeder Park random doubles when things ease up since I know some people out there, and probably Logan's random doubles as well.

Let me know if you and your buddy want to catch a round sometime. I'm always down to play with new people.
Congrats on the newborn and I hope your family stays happy and healthy.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Do you throw forehand much? I use 90% forehand throws, which I know is pretty unusual in disk golf. But I generate much more power with my forehand. At my peak, I could throw a 175g Ultimate disk on a laser 50 yards, and if I played for the draw I could get about 80 yards. With the little disk golf disks, I can get competitive distance. I went out with a buddy who plays as regularly as you, with his bag full of many disks with different options, and he was fairly stunned at my forehand’s length.

The other good thing is I can work the same disk either way if I have obstacles, by switching from forehand to backhand. I probably get more mileage out of my disk choices than some folks do.

My background in Ultimate led to playing very much by feel, as you can imagine. I’m more like Phil Mikkelson, who uses a 60 degree wedge for pretty much all his needs around the green. (I actually tried doing that too, back when I played golf. I quickly found that if I didn’t play multiple times a week, I became erratic with that club.)

Reactions: EastonBlues22

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

I’ll definitely have to take you up on that offer. We try to get out a couple times a week, but, like you, I have a newborn at home and feel pretty lousy leaving the wife to play disc golf without someone there to help her. Haven’t played the West County courses, but it’s on the radar. Schroeder is very close to work so I’ll probably make it out there sooner rather than later.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Do you throw forehand much? I use 90% forehand throws, which I know is pretty unusual in disk golf. But I generate much more power with my forehand. At my peak, I could throw a 175g Ultimate disk on a laser 50 yards, and if I played for the draw I could get about 80 yards. With the little disk golf disks, I can get competitive distance. I went out with a buddy who plays as regularly as you, with his bag full of many disks with different options, and he was fairly stunned at my forehand’s length.

The other good thing is I can work the same disk either way if I have obstacles, by switching from forehand to backhand. I probably get more mileage out of my disk choices than some folks do.

My background in Ultimate led to playing very much by feel, as you can imagine. I’m more like Phil Mikkelson, who uses a 60 degree wedge for pretty much all his needs around the green. (I actually tried doing that too, back when I played golf. I quickly found that if I didn’t play multiple times a week, I became erratic with that club.)
I understand that feeling completely. :)

Forehand is definitely a work in progress. I'd say it's a pretty functional tool within 200', so good enough for scrambling and upshots, but I don't have any sort of power forehand to speak of at the moment. I never played any throwing sports as a kid and I don't have those techniques or that critical body development to fall back on, so I'm basically having to put it together from the ground up.

Having the sort of forehand you have would definitely simplify things.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I’ll definitely have to take you up on that offer. We try to get out a couple times a week, but, like you, I have a newborn at home and feel pretty lousy leaving the wife to play disc golf without someone there to help her. Haven’t played the West County courses, but it’s on the radar. Schroeder is very close to work so I’ll probably make it out there sooner rather than later.
Just shoot me a message any time and we'll figure something out.

Schroeder is a nice, quick play. I can go through the whole course twice in an hour if it's empty. It's very beginner friendly, but still tough enough that even an intermediate player will feel like they earned their birdies (especially if the pins are in the more difficult positions). I can play the whole course just fine with a putter, a Zone, and a Leopard3...but I'll often still carry the full pack just to drive the minimalists crazy. :)

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I understand that feeling completely. :)

Forehand is definitely a work in progress. I'd say it's a pretty functional tool within 200', so good enough for scrambling and upshots, but I don't have any sort of power forehand to speak of at the moment. I never played any throwing sports as a kid and I don't have those techniques or that critical body development to fall back on, so I'm basically having to put it together from the ground up.

Having the sort of forehand you have would definitely simplify things.
An interesting fact is I’m less than 6 feet tall and pretty lean build. The power of my forehand is derived mainly from timing and technique. It’s like cracking a whip, is the best way I can describe the way it feels.

Before I learned the forehand, I was pretty mediocre backhand. Now I’m worse. Very little power to speak of due to neglect. If I played competitively again, I’d have to really put some work in, and I’m sure that would improve my frisbee golf game. But I’m purely recreational a handful of games a year. I’m certain you’d clobber me, probably a much sharper short game. But if I’m in the area, I’d love to play.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
An interesting fact is I’m less than 6 feet tall and pretty lean build. The power of my forehand is derived mainly from timing and technique. It’s like cracking a whip, is the best way I can describe the way it feels.

Before I learned the forehand, I was pretty mediocre backhand. Now I’m worse. Very little power to speak of due to neglect. If I played competitively again, I’d have to really put some work in, and I’m sure that would improve my frisbee golf game. But I’m purely recreational a handful of games a year. I’m certain you’d clobber me, probably a much sharper short game. But if I’m in the area, I’d love to play.

I could throw a frisbee further than anyone I had ever met for a few decades until I met a guy with little disks.

He had special powers that only work with those little disks I think...

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I drive past Willmore park in south st louis on the way home from work and there always seem to be a whole lot of people playing
depending on the weather I either think - that looks like fun! or- what the heck is wrong with them?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

I would enjoy that a lot. :)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I drive past Willmore park in south st louis on the way home from work and there always seem to be a whole lot of people playing
depending on the weather I either think - that looks like fun! or- what the heck is wrong with them?
:laugh:

I used to live in South City, and played Willmore pretty regularly for awhile. Not incredibly beginner friendly, and the layout is pretty meandering, but overall it's ok for a city park course and there's nothing better anywhere close to that area.

I will say that it drains terribly in spots. After any significant rain you're likely to encounter boot sucking marshy conditions in multiple areas, or even significant standing water. A course like Carrollton is similar in style, but better in pretty much every way possible.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Today our one of two hardware store burned down totally nothing left, I cant imagine how much saddnes BLM+ Antifa burning stores etc has affect people in USA. This is really sad day for whole community. 10 people are now unemployed and it has affect everybody in here. People say it just buildings, but it has life changing affect, somebodys life work.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Today our one of two hardware store burned down totally nothing left, I cant imagine how much saddnes BLM+ Antifa burning stores etc has affect people in USA. This is really sad day for whole community. 10 people are now unemployed and it has affect everybody in here. People say it just buildings, but it has life changing affect, somebodys life work.
Peaceful protesters?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Well I'm out of here until next season (if we have one) that toxicity of these board have been absolutely horrendous over the past few weeks. Peace til next season boy, Go Blues.

Reactions: Ranksu and Xanadude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->