OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I read a book a while back about Ted Lindsay and the early efforts to get players involved in collective bargaining.

In the old (pre WHA) days, none of the players had agents or lawyers or accountants. Most had other jobs in the offseason. They signed one-year contracts offered to them by the GMs and left the building without a copy of their contracts. They did not discuss their compensation with their teammates. They had little bargaining power.

There must be a few players from that era still alive and alert. What amazement they must have at today's NHL players, the top ones able to accumulate tens of millions of dollars, get long term contracts and no-movement contracts to boot.

I don't like reading about salary caps, free agency, etc. Rooting for a professional sports team is irrational process, and when I know that my heroes are in it for the money, it spoils it for me.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I read a book a while back about Ted Lindsay and the early efforts to get players involved in collective bargaining.

In the old (pre WHA) days, none of the players had agents or lawyers or accountants. Most had other jobs in the offseason. They signed one-year contracts offered to them by the GMs and left the building without a copy of their contracts. They did not discuss their compensation with their teammates. They had little bargaining power.

There must be a few players from that era still alive and alert. What amazement they must have at today's NHL players, the top ones able to accumulate tens of millions of dollars, get long term contracts and no-movement contracts to boot.

I don't like reading about salary caps, free agency, etc. Rooting for a professional sports team is irrational process, and when I know that my heroes are in it for the money, it spoils it for me.
I too tend to get bitter when reading about millionaires bickering about pay and fairness. It’s sort of a smack in the face to those of us who are hired at will and not payed equitable or even remotely fair wages.

But hey, greed rules the day!

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
i was helping my son refinish his basement
when i came home a little while ago my daughter( while studying for law school and watching her broncos) made chicken tortilla soup and the house smells great
good food cooking is certainly a underrated pleasure in life

Reactions: Blueston

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Gotta say we have some mighty fine authentic Mexican restaurants in our area (East St Louis, Fairmont City). Yeah they’re mostly towards the “bad” parts of town but some of the best places eat. Since we’re talking food had to talk them up. Been trying to branch out the tastes and introduce our baby girl in the womb to various cuisines. Going Greek next and then ready to try something else with flavor. Always open for suggestions

Last edited:

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Gotta day we have some mighty fine authentic Mexican restaurants in our area (East St Louis, Fairmont City). Yeah they’re mostly towards the “bad” parts of town but some of the best places eat. Since we’re talking food had to talk them up. Been trying to branch out the tastes and introduce our baby girl in the womb to various cuisines. Going Greek next and then ready to try something else with flavor. Always open for suggestions
Thai or Indian :)

Congratulations!!!!

Being a Dad is the best :)

P.S.
Let mom decide...

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Glad I watched some of it, and the end. The Cardinals are just god-awful at assessing their talent - letting Arozarena go is just asinine - hope he becomes an all-star
Tbh, the Cards are so poor at developing bats, so Arozarena likely would've peaked as a .250ish hitter in St. Louis and we would've ruined his talent here.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Went to San Diego for a vacation at the beach with the family for a week.

The ocean was too cold for me, but my girls jumped right in :) Everyday...

Daughters took surfing lessons and the oldest actually stood for a bit (great pic), then kayaked into a sea cave with a guide and saw sea lions and seals.

Finally we were mugged by 7 humpback whales on a sight seeing tour.

The whales came to check us out. The ship was keeping its distance, but the whales were curious.

You can see a whale on RADAR beneath the boat.

October 9, 2020 - AM Trip - Google Drive

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
FYI: I've done a name change. Again. Since I've been around here for a while and some of you know me, I should probably explain how we got to this latest change.

History: I was originally Irish Blues here. Just picked it out of the air at sign up. My last name is of Irish origin, obviously a Blues fan, ... nothing more to it, no real attachment to it. But, it became my calling card for good and bad for years and years.

A few years back, I decided it was time to retire that nickname but I didn't have anything I could really go to that was "better". Well, I did - I wanted Mud, but that's too short a username. So, once I finally earned one of the professional credentials in my field, I decided that was the time to switch and Mud the ACAS was born. [For those really interested: ACAS = Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society.]

That name hung for a while, it fit, but it was also kind of unwieldy. I needed something different, but again I can't find anything. Well, until we went binge watching shows this past week and the wife found some TV show from the mid-90s called Murder One. It ran for two seasons. The 1st season is spectacular; don't bother with the 2nd season unless you want to be aggravated at trite scripts and relatively dumb plots. The main character of that show - Ted Hoffman - is the basis for my username, and it's specifically because of one line in one episode asking about "the actuarials" on something. [Note: I have never heard anyone in our field ask about "the actuarials" on anything. Evar.]

So, if (when) you ever see me comment in the future about "the actuarials" on anything, ... well, you'll know why.

mike1320

FYI: I've done a name change. Again. Since I've been around here for a while and some of you know me, I should probably explain how we got to this latest change.

History: I was originally Irish Blues here. Just picked it out of the air at sign up. My last name is of Irish origin, obviously a Blues fan, ... nothing more to it, no real attachment to it. But, it became my calling card for good and bad for years and years.

A few years back, I decided it was time to retire that nickname but I didn't have anything I could really go to that was "better". Well, I did - I wanted Mud, but that's too short a username. So, once I finally earned one of the professional credentials in my field, I decided that was the time to switch and Mud the ACAS was born. [For those really interested: ACAS = Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society.]

That name hung for a while, it fit, but it was also kind of unwieldy. I needed something different, but again I can't find anything. Well, until we went binge watching shows this past week and the wife found some TV show from the mid-90s called Murder One. It ran for two seasons. The 1st season is spectacular; don't bother with the 2nd season unless you want to be aggravated at trite scripts and relatively dumb plots. The main character of that show - Ted Hoffman - is the basis for my username, and it's specifically because of one line in one episode asking about "the actuarials" on something. [Note: I have never heard anyone in our field ask about "the actuarials" on anything. Evar.]

So, if (when) you ever see me comment in the future about "the actuarials" on anything, ... well, you'll know why.
neat

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I miss walking around with my kids on Halloween :(

A fire pit and drinking on the driveway passing out candy will suffice :)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I've been accepted to graduate school. It was something I had considered for a while, and with the extra time and not having to commute and whatnot, I figured now was as good a time as any to do it. It's all online (which wasn't my preference, but ultimately I think makes sense, particularly in the midst of COVID) but I am excited. I was a first-gen undergrad student and hearing the excitement in my mom's voice when I told her I had been accepted was pretty cool.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I've been accepted to graduate school. It was something I had considered for a while, and with the extra time and not having to commute and whatnot, I figured now was as good a time as any to do it. It's all online (which wasn't my preference, but ultimately I think makes sense, particularly in the midst of COVID) but I am excited. I was a first-gen undergrad student and hearing the excitement in my mom's voice when I told her I had been accepted was pretty cool.
Congratulations!

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018

Where???

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Northeastern's Higher Ed. Administration program. I work in an admissions office currently and hope to move back to STL or KC to work as a college counselor and/or to help expand college access to first-gen or other underrepresented students. I am white a white guy and have realized over my time in admissions that the work of expanding access to underrepresented students falls disproportionately on POC within higher education, and I would like to help change that.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

So what's with the font tho?

Northeastern's Higher Ed. Administration program. I work in an admissions office currently and hope to move back to STL or KC to work as a college counselor and/or to help expand college access to first-gen or other underrepresented students. I am white a white guy and have realized over my time in admissions that the work of expanding access to underrepresented students falls disproportionately on POC within higher education, and I would like to help change that.
A noble and laudable goal, I sincerely wish you the best of luck accomplishing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad