Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
My friends and i still lan the original Halo 1, on the original xbox. It's the best competitive shooter to ever come out on a console. I picked up CSGO recently, it's the best esports scene by far.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My friends and i still lan the original Halo 1, on the original xbox. It's the best competitive shooter to ever come out on a console. I picked up CSGO recently, it's the best esports scene by far.
Would not disagree lol. I remember LAN parties with Halo. I remember once where we played 4 on 4 and I was stuck with the worst of us...no big deal as I was the best, and it was for fun. A couple on the other team were gloating because they finally "beat" me. It was like 50 to 45 or something. Well I told them to restart and the ensuing game was 50 to something and I had 48 kills....if streaming was a thing it would have looked like the finale scene from Wanted

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Would not disagree lol. I remember LAN parties with Halo. I remember once where we played 4 on 4 and I was stuck with the worst of us...no big deal as I was the best, and it was for fun. A couple on the other team were gloating because they finally "beat" me. It was like 50 to 45 or something. Well I told them to restart and the ensuing game was 50 to something and I had 48 kills....if streaming was a thing it would have looked like the finale scene from Wanted
I picked up the game in 2011, so i missed all the good times like that. I've made my fair share of good memories of the game, but i always wonder what it would have been like if i found this Halo group in my teens. Im a huge fan of competition, have followed most major sports, competitions and esports throughout my life, and Halo 1 is truly something special. I can, and have talked about it for hours. If you're familiar with the concept of "flow", Halo 1 hits the mark more than anything else. The speed, the depth, even the bugs add more to the game than they take away. Hell, one of the 3 major bugs/complaints i have about the game, is that the OG xbox struggles at times, tanking fps to 10 or less. It's frustrating, but it's the best thing we have.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Halo back in the day was probably my favorite game of all time. Especially Halo 3 (Halo 2 was my first one and I was probably dogshit). But Halo 3? I was better than some of the 'pro' players in that game. It was awesome, I played that game for hours upon hours, with or without friends.

Halo Reach was fantastic but ever since the Halo rights were given to 343, it's gone downhill for me.

I had really high hopes for Destiny and was very amped...then I played it :help:.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I picked up the game in 2011, so i missed all the good times like that. I've made my fair share of good memories of the game, but i always wonder what it would have been like if i found this Halo group in my teens. Im a huge fan of competition, have followed most major sports, competitions and esports throughout my life, and Halo 1 is truly something special. I can, and have talked about it for hours. If you're familiar with the concept of "flow", Halo 1 hits the mark more than anything else. The speed, the depth, even the bugs add more to the game than they take away. Hell, one of the 3 major bugs/complaints i have about the game, is that the OG xbox struggles at times, tanking fps to 10 or less. It's frustrating, but it's the best thing we have.
My personal favorite will always be Call of Duty Moderen Warfare 2 with Halo being 2nd. FPS multiplayer games have to be simple imo to be great. A more modern game that I played alot was Tom Clancy's The Divison. Great game but it became too complex to the point you had to create spread sheets to assemble the best loadout. That's what drew me to Pubg, the weapons are modifiable but everything has to be looted and its random how it drops. You can have one game where you have a the best of everything in 5min then the next game...you can be running around with a shotgun and nothing else lol

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Halo back in the day was probably my favorite game of all time. Especially Halo 3 (Halo 2 was my first one and I was probably dog****). But Halo 3? I was better than some of the 'pro' players in that game. It was awesome, I played that game for hours upon hours, with or without friends.

Halo Reach was fantastic but ever since the Halo rights were given to 343, it's gone downhill for me.

I had really high hopes for Destiny and was very amped...then I played it :help:.
Halo 3 comprised the majority of my college experience shortly after booze and distantly followed by school itself. Played the MLG playlist sunup to sundown with my buddies. They haven’t reached the same level of awesome in halo since. The most recent has come the closest but the obsession with large maps and battle royale has taken away from it. I feel like halo 3 has the perfect mix of graphics and simplicity. The newer games don’t feel the same because they are so good.

Also killed a couple years of med school with black ops 2 followed by a really hard battle with a clash of clans addiction. It almost ran my wife away and I’ve since stepped away from gaming. Probably for the best.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
My personal favorite will always be Call of Duty Moderen Warfare 2 with Halo being 2nd. FPS multiplayer games have to be simple imo to be great. A more modern game that I played alot was Tom Clancy's The Divison. Great game but it became too complex to the point you had to create spread sheets to assemble the best loadout. That's what drew me to Pubg, the weapons are modifiable but everything has to be looted and its random how it drops. You can have one game where you have a the best of everything in 5min then the next game...you can be running around with a shotgun and nothing else lol

Agree about the bolded. I.E. The weapon sandbox in Halo 1 is incredible. Of the eight guns, only the needler has zero value. The other seven all have their niche. I dont know if you remember, but the plasma rifle has a freezing effect. Slowing movement and looking to a painful crawl. Perfect counter to the overshield, and the weapon placement on the maps encourages it. I honestly think that some sort of college thesis could be written about the weapon sandbox, it's that well thought out.

There is one Halo CE tournament a year, and it's called Beach Lan. It's coming up in a couple weeks, if anyone is interested ill post the link when they go live. It's a week long LAN in 3 beach houses on a coast beach.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agree about the bolded. I.E. The weapon sandbox in Halo 1 is incredible. Of the eight guns, only the needler has zero value. The other seven all have their niche. I dont know if you remember, but the plasma rifle has a freezing effect. Slowing movement and looking to a painful crawl. Perfect counter to the overshield, and the weapon placement on the maps encourages it. I honestly think that some sort of college thesis could be written about the weapon sandbox, it's that well thought out.

There is one Halo CE tournament a year, and it's called Beach Lan. It's coming up in a couple weeks, if anyone is interested ill post the link when they go live. It's a week long LAN in 3 beach houses on a coast beach.
Man, I loved the needler. Such a troll weapon.

My youngest did a report on Fortnite and somehow was able to keep guns out of it lol.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I spent countless hours in Halo 3, and went to a handful of MLG events. I was never good, but competition is a blast.

I'd be shocked if anyone actually took this suggestion, but the most profound piece of art that has to do with the nature of competition is "Ping Pong The Animation." It's an 11 episode anime, and somehow manages to convey wisdom and insight about how pure competition is. One of my favorite lines is "There are views that you can only see from the top." While the show revolves around two highly talented high school players, it manages to touch on those who still compete even if they lack the natural talent to be the best. Something that we dont often address with our kids, is that talent is a real thing, and that it's ok to not have it.

There are a lot of boundaries for getting into the show. The art style is off-putting for the first couple episodes, but has the sort of payoff that cant be explained without experiencing it. The story doesn't hold your hand. It throws you in, and expects you to keep up. Consequently, it takes at least twice to really understand what all is going on. It's not something you throw on in the background. It's something that you watch and then spend hours talking about the implications. Then there is the ping pong part. It's huge in the east, but we dont take is seriously in the west. But here is the thing, it's not really a show about ping pong. It's a show about the people playing ping pong. You can substitute any sport or competition, and it works.

We're all here because we enjoy competition to some degree. "Ping Pong the Animation" is truly a masterpiece, in my opinion, and worth watching for anyone who ever wanted to fly. (A la McDavid, Jordan, Nadal and everyone who ever was/is the best.)

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Halo back in the day was probably my favorite game of all time. Especially Halo 3 (Halo 2 was my first one and I was probably dog****). But Halo 3? I was better than some of the 'pro' players in that game. It was awesome, I played that game for hours upon hours, with or without friends.

Nothing better than a mass murder simulator.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
Norris' rookie hazing is getting out of control.
He's just trying to fit in.

The last two games has been the cardinals season in a nutshell, 33.3 with the starting pitching/bullpen/offense. Still stoked about no Matheny, not sure I know Schildt.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Nothing better than a mass murder simulator.

Better simulated than actual mass murder. There is absolutely zero credible evidence to suggest a link to video games and actual violence, in fact there are studies that show the opposite, that games can act as a channel for frustrations. People still criticize violence in games, but not in movies, Tvs, comics, books, or even the sensationalization of violence in news for ratings.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Better simulated than actual mass murder. There is absolutely zero credible evidence to suggest a link to video games and actual violence, in fact there are studies that show the opposite, that games can act as a channel for frustrations. People still criticize violence in games, but not in movies, Tvs, comics, books, or even the sensationalization of violence in news for ratings.

People criticize what they dont use themselves. I had this conversation with my mother in law who loves westerns....she didnt like it that I brought up kids playing cowboys and indians

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
played a lot of Halo enjoyed them all. Then the Division came along and been hooked since.. can't wait for D2

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
played a lot of Halo enjoyed them all. Then the Division came along and been hooked since.. can't wait for D2
I honestly thought the Divison became too complicated once they went crazy with the gearsets. It got so hard to have those fun engagements in the dzone.

I did love my first playthrough though and was a huge fan of survival. Though that would have been so much better if the loot was random. Once you have a route, it's just routine

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I honestly thought the Divison became too complicated once they went crazy with the gearsets. It got so hard to have those fun engagements in the dzone.

I did love my first playthrough though and was a huge fan of survival. Though that would have been so much better if the loot was random. Once you have a route, it's just routine
Agreed I ended up joining a group SWE and it became fun again. mainly because I didn't have to worry about figuring out the gear sets, someone always posted all the info. As for the DZ its really only fun if you are in a group, the new rouge system makes it better you get a warning and can see them they just cant ambush you, the real fun gets when you get peeps from Europe in the US serves and everyone gets pissed because they cant handle the skill build HAHA

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed I ended up joining a group SWE and it became fun again. mainly because I didn't have to worry about figuring out the gear sets, someone always posted all the info. As for the DZ its really only fun if you are in a group, the new rouge system makes it better you get a warning and can see them they just cant ambush you, the real fun gets when you get peeps from Europe in the US serves and everyone gets pissed because they cant handle the skill build HAHA
Yea I just copied off YouTube lol. I hate the seeker mine build. That was just trash since it could move faster then a running player.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Survival became exactly what you described. A route. Randomization would have been awesome and kept me involved in Division. I stopped playing it about 4 months ago when they couldn't fix the Alpha Bridge set. I can't wait for Division 2 though. It looks like it won't be as complicated with the gear sets and it adds in more weapons that were needed in the first one but weren't featured.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I played the Division solo. Man the bullet sponginess of the enemies while playing solo was insane, but the hook of the loot-grind loop took me to through the main story. When I finally got to the DZ , I'd whittle down an enemy NPC to no health only to have a group of rogues kill me and take my kill. I quit soon after.

For those who like single-player story based games, I am playing God of War (2018) now. It is awesome and has a pretty basic but addicting loot/crafting system. Its a bunch of simple systems that are layered on top of each other and intertwine as a very workable whole. But the story and characters are the real draw, especially for a mythology nerd like me.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I played the Division solo. Man the bullet sponginess of the enemies while playing solo was insane, but the hook of the loot-grind loop took me to through the main story. When I finally got to the DZ , I'd whittle down an enemy NPC to no health only to have a group of rogues kill me and take my kill. I quit soon after.

For those who like single-player story based games, I am playing God of War (2018) now. It is awesome and has a pretty basic but addicting loot/crafting system. Its a bunch of simple systems that are layered on top of each other and intertwine as a very workable whole. But the story and characters are the real draw, especially for a mythology nerd like me.

When did you play it? At the beginning and during the first roughly year of the game, the rogue system was awful. I couldn't stand it. Plus, most of them (no offense @Dbrownss or @Chief Steele) were just looking up the perfect rogue builds instead of trying their own. I don't mind the DZ, but when the rogue system was at it's worst, it wasn't very fun to be a solo or two man team.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
When did you play it? At the beginning and during the first roughly year of the game, the rogue system was awful. I couldn't stand it. Plus, most of them (no offense @Dbrownss or @Chief Steele) were just looking up the perfect rogue builds instead of trying their own. I don't mind the DZ, but when the rogue system was at it's worst, it wasn't very fun to be a solo or two man team.

Don't know exactly when. It was a few years ago, and only over the course of a few weeks. Not right at launch, but sometime that spring/summer after launch. As soon as Gamefly got a few copies in they could ship one out, so maybe a couple months after launch.

If they fixed the system to make it fun solo, I'd love to see it. I don't think anyone has nailed that formula of having a multi-player game that is near as fun if you want to solo it. I hope Anthem or Fallout 76 or someone can get the formula right, but I doubt it. I keep playing them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad