Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
toodaloo mikey. i would have fired him after the 2014 nlcs. glad we waited around for the mediocre baseball that followed.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I do agree, they should’ve fired Matheny after that Cubs NLCS fiasco. But thank god they finally did it.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I do agree, they should’ve fired Matheny after that Cubs NLCS fiasco. But thank god they finally did it.
oh i would have done it the season before, after that mess he made in the giants series.

the following season the pitchers literally carried the team thru september. only reason they were decent.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Don’t get me wrong, I love shitting on Matheny as much as the next guy, but firing Mabry was also important. Hopefully MO can get this thing back on track, he’s not innocent in all this.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I hardly follow the Cardinals but living in St. Louis it's kind of forced on you. I'm pretty sure Matheny didn't put together this band of misfits. Baseball coaches always get too much credit and too much blame. They either have good players or not (for the most part). Whitey was both GM and Coach at the same time. I give him more credit as a coach because he knew what kind of team he wanted to build and did so with GM powers. Once he built the team the onus was on the players.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
Glad they finally rid themselves of m&m.

The broadcasters try to hype Schildt like he's a modern day Kissell, and you obviously don't expect much from an interim coming on mid-season, but hopefully they consider Oquendo or Stubby Clapp in the off-season if they plan on hiring within. Unless of course Schildt turns the team around.

Girardi is probably the best option outside the organization right now and he's from Peoria, but they could've taken Tito over an inexperienced Matheny so who knows.

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Coming in, I thought Matheny strengths were going to be that he was open to analytic thinking and communicate well with players, especially young ones. Those were his biggest weaknesses, as it turns out.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
oquendo's job to lose.
You are the only one here talking any sense.

The Cardinals made it to the World Series in 2014 in spite of MM. And he has since made the pooch screw itself.

Good f***ing riddance

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Are they all going to suddenly learn how to hit? Will the pen suddenly learn how to get guys out? I hope the new manager can heal the sick too

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Are they all going to suddenly learn how to hit? Will the pen suddenly learn how to get guys out? I hope the new manager can heal the sick too
royals changed hitting coaches during the season and went from like last in mlb in hitting to the world series

so ya a change can make a difference. look at how the blues responded to hitch firing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Firing Matheny? I'm all for giving coaches plenty of time. If you get on the carousel of firing your manager at every bump in the road then there will never be progress. The Cardinals took that to ridiculous lengths with Matheny, the absolute longest he should have lasted was 2016.

These changes can make a huge difference. It's often talked about in soccer, a manager is fired and a new guy comes in and results can improve instantly. The perception that it is extremely common isn't correct though.

Even if we see an improvement, it's still not going to result in the postseason.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I was at the game yesterday. I think every single game I've ever gone to that gets a stoppage in play, the opposing team comes out with the momentum. This firing is way too late. I'm not sure how much it will help since the top hitters average is .272. They are kind of where the Blues were at this season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Its hard to blame Matheny when Mo has assembled this mess. Giving out some really dumb contracts. I hated the Fowler contract from the beginning. I wouldn’t give 5 yr contracts to guys over 30. Didn’t know much about Cecil, but we needed a lefty. It just isnt a very well put together team. At least he hasn’t traded away any of the youth (Reyes, Flaherty, Gomber, Hudson, Kelly, Knizner, Helsley, Hicks). Perez is heating up. I love the 1st round pick this past Gorman, he looks like a future star. Things arent as bad as they appear. Lots of good prospects to build on. I really like Bader, DeJong, O’Neil too. They have a couple 3B prospects who look good too. I like Schrock and Nunez too. Things will get better. Lots of stud arms.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Matheny and Mo take the blame on our current status. We typically greatly overestimate how much influence a manager has on a team. Matheny should be gone, but I also believe our record the past few years is accurately reflective of the roster. We need change throughout management IMO. Maybe not a full cleaning of the house, but our issues are not solely on Matheny. No manager could win much with this roster.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Had to be done. Once he lost Yadi last year, the writing was on the wall. Fowler and now the Norris crap is just icing on the cake. Mo definitely deserves some of the blame for this, but I think Matheny was more DeWitt's guy, so the managing blunder is on the owner. The construction of the team is on Mo. The Cardinals aren't making the playoffs barring a huge surprise second half. I'd ride it out with Fowler, Wong, and Ozuna and see if they turn it around before contemplating moving either of them. I would look at the roster, see who holds value around the league, and move a few others out, Norris being my top candidate. You can't have a dude like that screwing up Hicks. Hicks is much more of a weapon than Norris.

After the season is over, it'll be interesting to see if they stick with Schildt or go with Oquendo, Clapp, or an unknown (Girardi, or otherwise). Personally, I want to see Stubby Clapp or Oquendo.

Reactions: Veneficus

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d look to move Norris, Mikolas and JMart at the deadline. Load up on prospects.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I’d look to move Norris, Mikolas and JMart at the deadline. Load up on prospects.

Apparently Carlos Martinez could be had for the right offer. If they move him, they're starting over. I would do it because it's probably the only way you're getting a pure star player. No one else on the Cardinals holds that cache.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I like CMart but I'd be ok letting him go. I kinda feel like he's never going to be an ace but has the potential.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Apparently Carlos Martinez could be had for the right offer. If they move him, they're starting over. I would do it because it's probably the only way you're getting a pure star player. No one else on the Cardinals holds that cache.
I dont see many trades out there where you would get a star player in return for K-Mart.

Im certainly not attached to keeping him, but I also dont see any rush to trade a starting pitcher on a good contract with 3+ years left.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad