Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Coaches decide who plays. The lower his base contract is, the more likely he would be sat or on IR if he was ineffective.
Well that wasn't the case earlier this season when they kept trotting him out there.

I just think people need to relax when it comes to throwing extensions at Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson. If we want to bring them back for a year, I'm good with that. But talking 2-3 years gets risky.

Now Gunnarsson is hurt again. He's pretty much made of glass.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Well that wasn't the case earlier this season when they kept trotting him out there.

I just think people need to relax when it comes to throwing extensions at Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson. If we want to bring them back for a year, I'm good with that. But talking 2-3 years gets risky.

Now Gunnarsson is hurt again. He's pretty much made of glass.
A good portion of my point was that coaches often feel pressure to play a player based on his contract, and with a low base number that particular pressure wouldn’t be there.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's amazing how much better this team plays with a positionally sound goalie behind them. It's not just the save percentage going up in these games, it's like the whole team loosens up. This is the third goalie we've seen it with now and the third coach.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
It's amazing how much better this team plays with a positionally sound goalie behind them. It's not just the save percentage going up in these games, it's like the whole team loosens up. This is the third goalie we've seen it with now and the third coach.
Yeah. At some point Armstrong won't be able to continue denying it.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Average goaltending is easier to find than elite talent. It’s always been the first thing we needed to take care of to turn this seasons round from a return-on-investment standpoint.

Good coaching is more difficult to come by but not if you already have a good roster.

The last step is to add another game breaker. Improving the defense is just icing and shouldn’t detract from our ability to get the first three needs.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
It makes it easier to transition to Binnington from a front office standpoint with him being home grown. It is one thing to trade off Allen in favor of bringing in a starting commodity from a different organization than it is to see a new goalie come up through the farm system and succeed in the league. That is the reason teams continue to draft goalies year in and year out. Eventually one is going to make a push for the NHL.

While there is still no telling how Binnington will play when he regresses to his mean, since none of us know what that will look like. We can only be hopeful that whether it is Binnington or someone else, the Blues will one day have a franchise goalie.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It makes it easier to transition to Binnington from a front office standpoint with him being home grown. It is one thing to trade off Allen in favor of bringing in a starting commodity from a different organization than it is to see a new goalie come up through the farm system and succeed in the league. That is the reason teams continue to draft goalies year in and year out. Eventually one is going to make a push for the NHL.

While there is still no telling how Binnington will play when he regresses to his mean, since none of us know what that will look like. We can only be hopeful that whether it is Binnington or someone else, the Blues will one day have a franchise goalie.

Regress to the mean? What if Binnington improves and raises the mean? Don’t be such a downer dude. ;)

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

he's done nothing but get better for the past 4ish years.

Jordan Binnington Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: STLomacneko

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I honestly don’t think Binnington’s past means much of anything.

Some goalies are super hyped as prospects and they bust.

Other goalies come out of nowhere and become legit NHL starters.

It really is almost a coin flip.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If you have any interest in advanced stats, you should check out the twitter accounts of Sean Tierney and Micah Blake McCurdy.

The reason I bring them up is because both are raving about the Blues and have been for quite awhile.

And for those who may like such things....

NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck Analytics Based Playoff & Cup Odds

Check out the win the cup odds column.

I’m guessing some will wonder why Winnipeg is so low and it’s because the numbers suggest that they’re over performing and rather significantly too while the top 2 teams have both actually been unlucky. We certainly know that’s the case for Schwartz.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If you have any interest in advanced stats, you should check out the twitter accounts of Sean Tierney and Micah Blake McCurdy.

The reason I bring them up is because both are raving about the Blues and have been for quite awhile.

I’m guessing some will wonder why Winnipeg is so low and it’s because the numbers suggest that they’re over performing and rather significantly too while the top 2 teams have both actually been unlucky. We certainly know that’s the case for Schwartz.
If the Blues win the Cup, they shouldn’t make Berube the permanent head coach. They should make him emperor of Missouri.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If the Blues win the Cup, they shouldn’t make Berube the permanent head coach. They should make him emperor of Missouri.

Emperor of Missouri sounds like a hick plumbing ad or something :laugh:

Maybe it’s just me, but St. Louis always seems too......something for Missouri. Like culturally speaking, St. Louis should probably be in Illinois.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Blues fans will have to understand all goalies will have rough stretches and even seasons. Everyone is pining over Bobrovsky, but he's terrible in the POs. Theres others but the organizations stick with them. We tried that with Allen and it didnt work.

Watching Binnington is different then Allen, he's calm and positionally sound. He's capable of the highlight reel saves but they are few and far between

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Ok - that model says the Blues have better odds of winning the Cup than the Lightning do.
Excuse me while I go laugh myself hysterical.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we end the season with 95+ points and Berube secures a playoff spot because of the team and not just because all the other opponents fall on their face, how confident are you with him as the coach moving forward? We know he isn't an elite coach, but we can't deny that he's done a hell of a job getting the players motivated and playing complete games again.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If we end the season with 95+ points and Berube secures a playoff spot because of the team and not just because all the other opponents fall on their face, how confident are you with him as the coach moving forward? We know he isn't an elite coach, but we can't deny that he's done a hell of a job getting the players motivated and playing complete games again.
I still wouldn’t want the Blues to name him coach without going through a full search and interview process in the summer. I’m fine with him being one of the candidates and would be alright with him getting the job, but with Q and TMac sitting out there, I hope they look at every option.

Reactions: HighNote

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What a strange season. Who would have expected the Blues to be playing this well in February after their horrible start to the season? Three wins in a row against top teams, two of the three on the road, and no David Perron?

Everyone contributed, it seems, but I have to mention Vladimir Tarasenko. I suppose we have all seen the clip from Saturday's game vs. Nashville, Vladi screaming from the bench at the ref or a Nashville player. That is the most emotion I have ever seen from the guy. Its great to see. The sleeping giant has been awakened.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What a strange season. Who would have expected the Blues to be playing this well in February after their horrible start to the season? Three wins in a row against top teams, two of the three on the road, and no David Perron?

Everyone contributed, it seems, but I have to mention Vladimir Tarasenko. I suppose we have all seen the clip from Saturday's game vs. Nashville, Vladi screaming from the bench at the ref or a Nashville player. That is the most emotion I have ever seen from the guy. Its great to see. The sleeping giant has been awakened.
Yeah, whatever happened with him, he's finally back to being himself. If we have a prime Tarasenko to go with ROR, then we have an elite 1st line.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Idk....I still dont see a top tier offensive system, We need that. I'd say he went from a filler to someone to seriously consider. Maybe if we could add an offensive assistant coach, it could work.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis

I'm pretty sure he said that the first thing he did was pull the locker room together as he didn't like the culture when he took over. Something like that IIRC. It seems to have worked.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad