OT: Blue Jays part 4 Jays and the off season begins Dickey Says "goodbye?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Definitely want Boston to win, 5 games back with 10 remaining would be tough even if the Red Sox were on a losing trend and the Jays were on fire. With the way the Sox are playing the Jays would definitely have to win out to have a chance at the division, not gonna happen

I hear what you're saying. Part of me agrees, but I see the other side also.

I think there is such advantage in the playoffs to winning the division it's worth aiming for. There is such a drop off after Happ on the Blue Jays pitching staff. Estrada's last game was great, not so good before that. Sanchez just hasn't looked right since the six man rotation fiasco.

The Jays catching the Red Sox hinges on sweeping that final weekend series. It's a huge if, but if they can do that then it's only two games the Jays gotta catch up otherwise. Orioles win tonight and it's only a game and a half.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
This is Liriano's time to step up and be consistent.

Donaldson with those g shoes today.

All the Jays have to do is be consistent to take this series. Take all 4.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Great game by Liriano, I liked that acquisition since day 1. He's a quality vet.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It's looking like the Jays will need to win a wildcard game. I'm assuming Happ would be the starter - it'll really come down to if the bats are hot or not.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It's looking like the Jays will need to win a wildcard game. I'm assuming Happ would be the starter - it'll really come down to if the bats are hot or not.

It's much likelier that the Jays miss the playoffs than they win the AL East. Even if the Jays win out and go 9-0 the Red Sox would still have to go 2-6 for the Jays to win the division. That ain't gonna happen.

I'm worried about making the wildcard. Detroit is only a game back and Baltimore a game and a half back. Jays gotta win their series against the Orioles for sure. Tigers have KC and Atlanta left, both teams are out of it. Cleveland too, which means they have at least one tough series left.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
What a devastating loss for the Miami Marlins. Jose Fernandez was easily a top 5 pitcher in baseball, and him passing at such a young age is really sad to hear about. :-(

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What a devastating loss for the Miami Marlins. Jose Fernandez was easily a top 5 pitcher in baseball, and him passing at such a young age is really sad to hear about. :-(

and it sounds like the only reason why he was out there was because his start got moved by a day, he was supposed to start today--but it got moved to MOnday

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Different pitchers but two blow saves in two days.

Not the reason they lost but another poor play at first by Smoak costing the team that final run. Great play by Pillar but Smoak can't handle the low throw. All I could think about as the Jays were rallying in the bottom of the inning.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Different pitchers but two blow saves in two days.

Not the reason they lost but another poor play at first by Smoak costing the team that final run. Great play by Pillar but Smoak can't handle the low throw. All I could think about as the Jays were rallying in the bottom of the inning.

I sense a recurring theme here. Did Smoak bully you as a child? :sarcasm:

No one can doubt how terrible he is. Only seven more regular season games left until he is no longer a Jay.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I sense a recurring theme here. Did Smoak bully you as a child? :sarcasm:

No one can doubt how terrible he is. Only seven more regular season games left until he is no longer a Jay.

They just signed him to a two year deal. That's why I keep bringing him up. I can't figure out what they see in him yet he could very well be the everyday first baseman next year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They just signed him to a two year deal. That's why I keep bringing him up. I can't figure out what they see in him yet he could very well be the everyday first baseman next year.

I missed it in July. Still don't get the extension. Presumably that means Colabello is done as a Jay and there will be no effort to sign Bautista. I know Bautista is an OF/DH, but signing a 1B leaves room to sign Edwin as the primary DH if Bautista is not re-signed.

Today's game should be interesting. Sanchez vs. Gausman. Sanchez is having the better season but Gausman has been better in the second half.

Hopefully last night doesn't mess Grilli up. He is an important part of the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad