OT: Blue Jays part 4 Jays and the off season begins Dickey Says "goodbye?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There is now 2 spots with the 2 wildcard teams playing a single elimination game, since 2012

Which was instituted because in the era of one wildcard team per league a wild card team won the world series about 1/3rd of the time (5/16).

In the four years since only once has a wildcard team won the series.

Also the existence of a second wildcard creates more excitement, more entertaining races yada yada.

Starting the post-season with a wildcard game is really exciting. First game is an elimination game. Starts the playoffs with a bang.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Twins do the jays a big favor, beat the tigers 5-1. Still nothing on JD

The Twins are single-handedly keeping the Jays season alive. The only team the Jays have swept since the first week of August is the Twins.

Do we know if Donaldson accompanied the team on the trip?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Team looks dead in the water.

Offense is still inconsistent as it has been all year, but now the pitching is no longer there to keep them in games.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
The Twins are single-handedly keeping the Jays season alive. The only team the Jays have swept since the first week of August is the Twins.

Do we know if Donaldson accompanied the team on the trip?

All I heard was he was expected to do so but haven't seen any confirmation

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
All I heard was he was expected to do so but haven't seen any confirmation

OK, thanks for that. JD is the bat I'm really concerned about.

Edwin is in a mini-funk but has been pretty solid this season. If the team turns it around I suspect it will be Edwin and Donaldson leading the charge.

Kinda has to be. Not sure what's up with Bautista. I know he's been hurt, but he's basically batting the same as he was before he got hurt. Which is pretty crap.

Oct 15, 2008
Hey, let's let the guy who can't spell or count and doesnt even watch baseball or live in North America start the new thread!

What say youse!?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm admittedly pretty new to baseball so I don't have much of a grasp on the tactics but wasn't Jose essentially just giving them a free double play there?

Seemed to have a very low chance of working...

The half hearted jog to second really didn't do it for me.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Team looks dead in the water.

Offense is still inconsistent as it has been all year, but now the pitching is no longer there to keep them in games.

I laughed when people said they had good pitching + an ace or two. This team is done. And I think fans can thank the regime change at the top for that. Gibby obviously needs to be gone come next season as well.

Was quite sickening how overconfident Canadian media outlets, various pundits (and fans to a degree as well) were that they would win the division and have a good run in October.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I laughed when people said they had good pitching + an ace or two. This team is done. And I think fans can thank the regime change at the top for that. Gibby obviously needs to be gone come next season as well.

Was quite sickening how overconfident Canadian media outlets, various pundits (and fans to a degree as well) were that they would win the division and have a good run in October.

I think IF they get in they could be dangerous. One little hot streak by the offense and this team could take out a contender like Texas or Cleveland.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
No excuse for the Jays tonight, Happ hasn't had the best outings recently, although the run support never helped with some of those games I know. Happ has had great consistency all season. Donaldson back. Angels have no great depth after Trout + Pujols.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

How is what's going on Gibbons fault? Tell me exactly what he's doing wrong. Where is he screwing up? The players aren't playing well. Lots of guys had career years last year and weren't able to duplicate them. The hitting hasn't been very good all year and now the pitching has tailed off. It looks to me that there are a lot of guys playing hurt right now too. The team has used the same group of starters all season and now they've run out of gas. That isn't Gibbons fault either because he's had no other choice. In short sight you can blame Atkins and Shapiro for not bringing better arms in but that isn't really their fault either. They didn't have much for trading chips. If anybody is to blame for this team falling short it's Anthopolous. He sold the farm last year for that run and the team is paying for it already. There were no pitchers in the minors for the team to call up this year.

Some of us understood this last year and as fans were okay with what he did to take a shot at the big run. There was a price to pay though and the depleted depth and the inability to load up again this year was it. Considering how poorly this team has hit all year I'm amazed they're still in a wildcard spot. Changes will be made this offseason and it's possible Gibbons will be part of it. He isn't responsible for the fall though and it's likely the team is out of it much earlier without him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think IF they get in they could be dangerous. One little hot streak by the offense and this team could take out a contender like Texas or Cleveland.

I'm not so sure anymore, Estrada's injury is really going to hurt a team struggling for starting pitching.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm admittedly pretty new to baseball so I don't have much of a grasp on the tactics but wasn't Jose essentially just giving them a free double play there?

Seemed to have a very low chance of working...

The half hearted jog to second really didn't do it for me.

They changed the rules this year. You're no longer allowed to take out the second baseman when trying to break up a double play. It's a horrible rule change that's really taken a lot of the fun and excitement out of the game. Earlier this year, Bautista broke that rule twice and got suspended the second time(This is what sparked the Odor incident in Texas). What you saw him do on this play is what all players do now. It's a joke of a rule.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
They changed the rules this year. You're no longer allowed to take out the second baseman when trying to break up a double play. It's a horrible rule change that's really taken a lot of the fun and excitement out of the game. Earlier this year, Bautista broke that rule twice and got suspended the second time(This is what sparked the Odor incident in Texas). What you saw him do on this play is what all players do now. It's a joke of a rule.

Ya I did some reading.

In this case it was just a failed hit and run attempt. When Martin failed to make contact Bautista was essentially dead in the water.

Still seems like a really low percentage play to even attempt though.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm not so sure anymore, Estrada's injury is really going to hurt a team struggling for starting pitching.

The depth of the bats is one of the best in the league, if they can find consistency they're hard to contain as a whole, even if the d don't come out every game. We all know this team doesn't win lots of games due to defence alone.

Estrada's injury is major at a time like this but I expect Liriano and Stroman to pick it up here. Hopefully Sanchez and his blister will be good to go again next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad