OT: Blue Jays part 4 Jays and the off season begins Dickey Says "goodbye?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Seems a bit harsh. Guy makes an error and he's worse than Thole.

I was a Smoak fan coming into the year, but I can't defend him too much this year at the plate. But he's still a good defender and a below average hitter.

Definition of serviceable.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Disappointing game tonight, no doubt. Hopefully Stro can pitch well tomorrow and the Jays offense can break out against a young pitcher who's been really bad so far.

Then again, Jays against pitchers they've never seen before....

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Disappointing game tonight, no doubt. Hopefully Stro can pitch well tomorrow and the Jays offense can break out against a young pitcher who's been really bad so far.

Then again, Jays against pitchers they've never seen before....

If Stro can make it through six and give up two runs or less that would be ideal.

Such a great start to the season for him. August and September, not so much.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Seems a bit harsh. Guy makes an error and he's worse than Thole.

I was a Smoak fan coming into the year, but I can't defend him too much this year at the plate. But he's still a good defender and a below average hitter.

Definition of serviceable.

Barney is serviceable. He can play three positions in the infield when the team needs him, he's even held his own in the outfield for a few games. Carrera is serviceable, played decently in the outfield when called upon and has gotten some timely hits. Thole catches Dickey, something the other two catchers aren't interested in doing. I wouldn't call him serviceable but at least he's contributing something.

Smoak is just a black hole. He strikes out in most of his plate appearances and looked terrible playing first base last night. It wasn't just on the play they gave him an error either. He looked confused as hell, especially on the ball that just rolled foul that he inexplicably flipped to no one. I can understand his timing might be off from not getting many at bats but there's no excuse for his fielding. That's what he's supposed to be able to be counted on for. Should be trying to show he belongs in the lineup instead of proving that Encarnacion is the better fielder.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Barney is serviceable. He can play three positions in the infield when the team needs him, he's even held his own in the outfield for a few games. Carrera is serviceable, played decently in the outfield when called upon and has gotten some timely hits. Thole catches Dickey, something the other two catchers aren't interested in doing. I wouldn't call him serviceable but at least he's contributing something.

Smoak is just a black hole. He strikes out in most of his plate appearances and looked terrible playing first base last night. It wasn't just on the play they gave him an error either. He looked confused as hell, especially on the ball that just rolled foul that he inexplicably flipped to no one. I can understand his timing might be off from not getting many at bats but there's no excuse for his fielding. That's what he's supposed to be able to be counted on for. Should be trying to show he belongs in the lineup instead of proving that Encarnacion is the better fielder.

Navarro will catch Thole. Maybe not interested, but he will. It's kind of irrelevant at this point.

Smoak is a black hole. Wouldn't have been on the team if not for Colablello's suspension.

Jays lost 4-0. :shakehead

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Wow, 1 run in two games.

The next series should be close, the bats definitely have to wake up considering Seattles latest surge.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Wow, 1 run in two games.

The next series should be close, the bats definitely have to wake up considering Seattles latest surge.

The matchups are aligned for both teams.

Walker vs. Estrada in the first game is meh vs. meh
Happ vs. Iwakuma is ace vs. ace
Sanchez vs. King Felix in the finale is the key.

I don't see a sweep for either team. At least I hope the Jays don't get swept.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The matchups are aligned for both teams.

Walker vs. Estrada in the first game is meh vs. meh
Happ vs. Iwakuma is ace vs. ace
Sanchez vs. King Felix in the finale is the key.

I don't see a sweep for either team. At least I hope the Jays don't get swept.

I was concerned about Iwakuma and Hernandez but Happ has been great lately. Iwakuma can be hard for the Jays at times I know.

King Felix was also concerning me but hes been fairly inconsistent this season although when he's on his game he's on his game.

Walker vs Estrada is up in the air for me, Walker played a stellar game his last but has been inconsistent all season. Estrada with a herniated disc is crazy and hasn't had much support his last 6 games, winning 1.

Jays can take the series if they can start providing some run support of course.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I was concerned about Iwakuma and Hernandez but Happ has been great lately. Iwakuma can be hard for the Jays at times I know.

King Felix was also concerning me but hes been fairly inconsistent this season although when he's on his game he's on his game.

Walker vs Estrada is up in the air for me, Walker played a stellar game his last but has been inconsistent all season. Estrada with a herniated disc is crazy and hasn't had much support his last 6 games, winning 1.

Jays can take the series if they can start providing some run support of course.

I hope you are right. The Jays and Mariners appear to be teams head in opposite directions at the moment. 11-5 in September vs. 5-11.

I agree with everything you say. Sanchez has been getting the run support, but other teams are scoring a ton when he's pitched.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its going to be a tough series against the Mariners. They are going to throw out three good starting pitchers. Hard to see how this team is going to be able to score enough runs to win any of these games when they struggled so much against an inferior Angels pitching staff. Just keep waiting and hoping this team snaps out of its offensive funk.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Its going to be a tough series against the Mariners. They are going to throw out three good starting pitchers. Hard to see how this team is going to be able to score enough runs to win any of these games when they struggled so much against an inferior Angels pitching staff. Just keep waiting and hoping this team snaps out of its offensive funk.

Fewest runs scored in the AL in September. The funk has been going on for a while.

Brutal schedule to finish the season. Mariners/Yankees/Orioles/Red Sox

Only the Yankees are out of the playoff hunt.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Fewest runs scored in the AL in September. The funk has been going on for a while.

Brutal schedule to finish the season. Mariners/Yankees/Orioles/Red Sox

Only the Yankees are out of the playoff hunt.

4 games aginst the Yanks at home also. That series will have a big impact on them, they need to dominate.

They need to gain some momentum coming from Seattle first, a lot of Jays fans will rep in Seattle at least.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This "offensive funk" has been going on the entire season.

They can never put teams away and get that big inning like last year. Usually strike out or DP with men on base.

Seems like everytime time JD or EE get put in that clutch position they've crumbled, unlike last year, where they would mash.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This "offensive funk" has been going on the entire season.

They can never put teams away and get that big inning like last year. Usually strike out or DP with men on base.

Seems like everytime time JD or EE get put in that clutch position they've crumbled, unlike last year, where they would mash.

That's definitely not true. The Jays are still tied for fourth in runs scored in the AL despite their terrible September. I'm pretty sure they were second or third in runs scored in the AL at the end of August.

Bautista has been the biggest problem with production. Bad year for him contract year and all.

Edwin has been solid. Donaldson could be better, but I suspect we will hear that the injury has been going on for a lot longer than the team released in season.

Martin had a weird year. Ice cold to start. Then he cranked it up. Then got hurt.

Tulo has been a disappointment.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Travis has been decent Shooper.

The pitching depth another story as of late.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's definitely not true. The Jays are still tied for third in runs scored in the AL despite their terrible September. I'm pretty sure they were second in runs scored in the AL at the end of August.

Bautista has been the biggest problem with production. Bad year for him contract year and all.

Edwin has been solid. Donaldson could be better, but I suspect we will hear that the injury has been going on for a lot longer than the team released in season.

Martin had a weird year. Ice cold to start. Then he cranked it up. Then got hurt.

Tulo has been a disappointment.

It's true because with the names in the lineup you expect them to be up there with the Sox in terms of offense. It's not just the ranking, it's the discrepancy.

Edwin has been trash with RISP this year.

The team in general has been trash with RISP - too many strikeouts and DPs leading to runs left on base.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's true because with the names in the lineup you expect them to be up there with the Sox in terms of offense. It's not just the ranking, it's the discrepancy.

The team in general has been trash with RISP - too many strikeouts and DPs leading to runs left on base.

They've had some stretches throughout the year where they've beaten up on bad pitching but in general I have to agree with you that the offense has been in a funk all year. People have been talking about it since April. All you have to do is look at the batting averages. Nobody is at .300. Most of the lineup is hitting between .240 and .260. That's not going to be good enough. Those poor averages combined with all the strikeouts kill rallies. That's what's done this team in.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Bautista has been a train wreck. Feel a little bad for the guy falling off the cliff in a contract year, but just a little. He has made more than enough money. Betcha he wishes he woulda signed an extension with a "hometown discount" last off season.

I looked through the order. Martin has the exact same batting average as he did last year. Everyone else is at least 12 points lower (Edwin and Donaldson). Tulo is .046 lower. But the likelihood of injury is something the Jays knew when they made that trade.

Travis has been decent Shooper.

The pitching depth another story as of late.

Yeah, Travis has been a bright spot this season. Remains to be seen if he is a long-term answer. Happ and Sanchez were the two biggest pleasant surprises.

I really don't think this team is that far away. Hopefully they can re-sign Edwin. Replace Joey Bats and find a 4/5 starter. Liriano is serviceable as a middle reliever. Someone else mentioned that the money saved on Dickey should make all of that possible.

Shapiro's pre-deadline moves were a mixed bag this year.

I really think stuff started heading south with the mishandling of Sanchez.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bautista has been a train wreck. Feel a little bad for the guy falling off the cliff in a contract year, but just a little. He has made more than enough money. Betcha he wishes he woulda signed an extension with a "hometown discount" last off season.

I looked through the order. Martin has the exact same batting average as he did last year. Everyone else is at least 12 points lower (Edwin and Donaldson). Tulo is .046 lower. But the likelihood of injury is something the Jays knew when they made that trade.

Yeah, Travis has been a bright spot this season. Remains to be seen if he is a long-term answer. Happ and Sanchez were the two biggest pleasant surprises.

I really don't think this team is that far away. Hopefully they can re-sign Edwin. Replace Joey Bats and find a 4/5 starter. Liriano is serviceable as a middle reliever. Someone else mentioned that the money saved on Dickey should make all of that possible.

Shapiro's pre-deadline moves were a mixed bag this year.

I really think stuff started heading south with the mishandling of Sanchez.

Bautista has obviously had a bad year. What I find encouraging though is he made some great catches in the outfield and some very good throws in the Angels series. I thought we had seen the last of those days.

I agree things started heading south with the mishandling of Sanchez. I questioned at the time if Atkins/Shapiro were losing the rest of the players by appearing disinterested in winning. We've got no way of knowing if that's what happened but it's pretty clear the team has looked lifeless since then. We'll have a better idea this offseason if they start moving out more core pieces than Bautista and Encarnacion. If management feels they've lost the players then they'll have no other choice.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well boys, Tim Tebows Mets jersey is #3 on the list today for best sellers on the mlb site.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
This is where the Jays start to get momentum, Blue Jays fans all over Seattle.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Bautista has obviously had a bad year. What I find encouraging though is he made some great catches in the outfield and some very good throws in the Angels series. I thought we had seen the last of those days.

I agree things started heading south with the mishandling of Sanchez. I questioned at the time if Atkins/Shapiro were losing the rest of the players by appearing disinterested in winning. We've got no way of knowing if that's what happened but it's pretty clear the team has looked lifeless since then. We'll have a better idea this offseason if they start moving out more core pieces than Bautista and Encarnacion. If management feels they've lost the players then they'll have no other choice.

Bautista totally had Trout's number in the outfield. Not sure what lit the fire under Bautista's butt. Man Trout is an impressive hitter.

It's not really moving out pieces with Bautista and Edwin. They are both free agents. I will be shocked if Bautista re-signs with the Jays. I suspect someone will pay more and give a longer term than he is worth at the moment. Edwin would be great to hold onto.

This is where the Jays start to get momentum, Blue Jays fans all over Seattle.

What a gem from Estrada. Not sure where it came from but I'll take that performance anytime.

If the Jays can sweep the Mariners that should lock up the wildcard. Don't see them catching the Red Sox.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lots of misinformation in the media regarding Estrada the last little while. Several people on Sportsnet were saying, after news of his herniated disc broke, that he was done for the year. Less than a week later, not only is he still starting but flirting with a no-hitter. Getting more an more difficult knowing who to trust.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Lots of misinformation in the media regarding Estrada the last little while. Several people on Sportsnet were saying, after news of his herniated disc broke, that he was done for the year. Less than a week later, not only is he still starting but flirting with a no-hitter. Getting more an more difficult knowing who to trust.

Herniated discs are a tricky injury. So much of it is dependent on the individual.

Massage/chiro/physio help a little, but the disc goes back in when it feels like it. As trite as it sounds it really is the truth.

My guess would be the commenters in question either had personal experience, or spoke to people with personal experience, where it took a very long time for the disc to settle itself on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad