OT: Blue Jays part 4 Jays and the off season begins Dickey Says "goodbye?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Congrats Cubs and Cubs fans. You think Steve Bartman will finally come out of hiding?

I don't think so. I think he is just a massive Cubs fan that had no interest fame or infamy. He could have been in documentaries, had television appearances, and books. Instead he decided to stay off the grid. I hope he throws out first pitch next year, though.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think so. I think he is just a massive Cubs fan that had no interest fame or infamy. He could have been in documentaries, had television appearances, and books. Instead he decided to stay off the grid.

Because even today he was still receiving death threats, now that the cubs have won the world series maybe he might have a change of heart. Though I could understand why he wouldn't.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
To be fair, this was a game 7 world series that went to extras... Can't really compare it to any one of the grueling 162 games of the regular season lol

True, which was the exact response I had to my friend who is a far bigger fan of baseball who pointed out how exciting this game (and series) was. It's certainly hard for me to keep excitement going with that many games in a season.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Because even today he was still receiving death threats, now that the cubs have won the world series maybe he might have a change of heart. Though I could understand why he wouldn't.

Ask Bill Buckner it took two world series wins he said the way he was treated by the media especially. In this case the fans. I am glad though because I would say he can die peacefully, and I mean that with all meaning. Could you imagine thinking I screwed up fate.

Me myself logically it was Game 6 in a NLCS it wasn't a deciding game in a world series. They still had to play one more game in that series and then take on the Yankees. I guess because the Marlins won against New York in 6 you think what would of....but that logic is the same one when the Oilers thought that the Canes had Buffalo go 7 with a depleted lineup. That was hypotheticals and all don't mean anything.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
True, which was the exact response I had to my friend who is a far bigger fan of baseball who pointed out how exciting this game (and series) was. It's certainly hard for me to keep excitement going with that many games in a season.

Baseball is like watching a marathon or nascar. Your watching a lot of repetitive and routine things. No offense to the Indians but the decisions and the way they play became so robotic. At least with Madden (who should stick to textbook managing from time to time) you get a guy who has a fun team who makes the game fun. This was like watching a team beat the Devils mid 90's.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

Meaningful games go a long way into gaining fans. I know for myself I've noticed a lot more Blue Jays fans and people wanting to learn about the game of baseball. They weren't interested in baseball until the Jays made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

Had a friend text me if I was watching the baseball game around the 8th inning. I was like wtf. She also asked me why the guy bunted, and what happens after the 9th inning if tied. lol.

Now, I doubt she will be watching again in April. lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Baseball is like watching a marathon or nascar. Your watching a lot of repetitive and routine things. No offense to the Indians but the decisions and the way they play became so robotic. At least with Madden (who should stick to textbook managing from time to time) you get a guy who has a fun team who makes the game fun. This was like watching a team beat the Devils mid 90's.

Agreed, to me it seems more meditative / hypnotic when compared to most other team sports, especially when compared to hockey, basketball etc. I was a big Trappers fan as a kid and played baseball quite a bit casually, so it helps my interest in MLB. The Indians certainly seemed to have a very 'calculated' mode of play which I found dull. Very methodical with how they dispatched TO. Seems like Maddon's 'controlled chaos' approach unraveled the Indians' play.

Meaningful games go a long way into gaining fans. I know for myself I've noticed a lot more Blue Jays fans and people wanting to learn about the game of baseball. They weren't interested in baseball until the Jays made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

Had a friend text me if I was watching the baseball game around the 8th inning. I was like wtf. She also asked me why the guy bunted, and what happens after the 9th inning if tied. lol.

Now, I doubt she will be watching again in April. lol

I've definitely noticed a lot more Jays fans around the past couple of years. Joey's infamous bat toss also helped by creating controversy (that was crazy to see as it happened :laugh:).

Certainly not an expert when it comes to the nuances of baseball, I can imagine it being quite difficult for newcomers, especially with the previously noted 'meditative pace'.

Probably won't be as many 'bandwagoners' next year, unless the Jays go deep again or there's another interesting story such as this (droughts etc). I don't think many have the patience to follow the full season given the tendency toward "instant gratification" nowadays.

Regardless, as a fan of Chicago sports teams in general this was definitely a memorable game and will get me back to watching more in the future. /bandwagon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

When Maddon left the Rays, I recall reading some of the players were devastated. He does keep a "loosey-goosey" feel to the clubhouse. Most managers in all of professional sports (or amateur-like NCCA football) have some sort of "seize the day" type motto. Maddon's in the Cubs clubhouse: "Try not to suck". :laugh:

After a demoralizing 8th, I'm still in disbelief they pulled it off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can't believe I live in a world where the Cubs won the world series. Surreal

It's a rare occurrence when a series gets hyped up as much as this one was and not only lives up to it but actually exceeds it. Baseball playoffs is GOAT.

My one beef is World Series celebrations being held in the locker room. They hold Championship Series celebrations on the field, why not World Series victories? Every other sport celebrates on the field/court/rink.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

It's a rare occurrence when a series gets hyped up as much as this one was and not only lives up to it but actually exceeds it. Baseball playoffs is GOAT.

My one beef is World Series celebrations being held in the locker room. They hold Championship Series celebrations on the field, why not World Series victories? Every other sport celebrates on the field/court/rink.

Remember when fans used to be able to go onto the field as well after championships? But if I had my guess why it was in the locker room it would be because of security concerns, especially with it being in another teams field. It would be so easy for a drunk pissed off Indians fan to do something stupid that could cause major problems.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton

If I remember correctly, they were expecting very heavy rain to roll back in about 20 minutes after the game ended, so that is probably why they decided to do the trophy presentations in the locker room.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If I remember correctly, they were expecting very heavy rain to roll back in about 20 minutes after the game ended, so that is probably why they decided to do the trophy presentations in the locker room.

The trophy presentations have always been done in the locker room in baseball as long as I can remember. It kind of cheats the fans IMO.
The NBA and NFL used to hold the presentations in the locker room as well years ago before they wised up and started to hold them on the court/field.

Edit: I'm wrong. Home teams have the presentation on the field and road teams in the locker room. I suppose that makes sense for the reasons that you guys mentioned, security concerns etc. It has been a while since the home team clinched so I almost forgot what the protocol was.

Last edited:

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
The trophy presentations have always been done in the locker room in baseball as long as I can remember. It kind of cheats the fans IMO.
The NBA and NFL used to hold the presentations in the locker room as well years ago before they wised up and started to hold them on the court/field.

Edit: I'm wrong. Home teams have the presentation on the field and road teams in the locker room. I suppose that makes sense for the reasons that you guys mentioned, security concerns etc. It has been a while since the home team clinched so I almost forgot what the protocol was.

Yeah, you are right. I missed the trophy presentation last year, and only watched when the players went out and celebrated with the KC fans in attendance.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Cubs parade route rumored to be between Wrigley Field and Grant Park along Lake Shore Drive. That's 6 miles that will be packed by fans the entire way. The Blackhawks drew 1-2 million fans for each of their parades and this will be double that I imagine. If they hold it tomorrow, then Chicago Public Schools already have the day scheduled off from an unrelated break so that would really test the city's infrastructure.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

At the start of the tenth inning they were saying heavy rain was expected in about 45 minutes. That's why I asked if anybody else thought the game wouldn't be finished last night. Wouldn't that have added significantly to the drama if they'd have had to finish the game today?:laugh: With all that happened last night that would have been the perfect ending. Cubs had other ideas though.

Completely different circumstances but I'd have to rate this game in the top two with the Jays-Rangers game five last year as the most dramatic games I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad