Friedman: Blue Jackets looking to acquire Centers

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At this point, I see no reason why CBJ would not just protect Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov and Savard and then Laine, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson.
Probably because we have no particular desire to lose Jenner or Nyquist either - or, for that matter, potentially anyone we end up trading for.

You certainly are always funny in the Blue Jackets proposals.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
None of this is based in actual statistical reality. As always, your random baffling hatred of Monahan is clear.

Me personally? I think Domi is every bit as good as Monahan and brings a lot more to the table.

Lindholm has only played 2 games at wing this year. As a center he's led all Flames in ice time.

Domi is faster, grittier, and frankly more skilled than Monahan. If he were playing with Gaudreau I think he'd produce at least as much as Monahan and he's got a lower AAV. His numbers during his last two years in Montreal were pretty much as good as Monahan's despite not playing with Gaudreau.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Bennett + Ryan for Domi is close in terms of cap this year gives Columbus 2 centers for a struggling player plus Bennett is an RFA so they should be able to sign him to a longer deal this off-season. I think Bennett would thrive playing for Torts.
Yea I probably do this because Domi isn't working out and honestly don't know who would give us anything of real value for him. Dude is just a turnover machine and is where offense goes to die. He might be the most skilled worst player I have seen in some time.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Seems like E. Staal would be the guy: not what he used to be but maybe next to Laine he could average like .6 points per game?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I haven't exactly watched the Jets much this year (I'd end up going through too many displays every time a certain someone stepped onto the ice), but looking at some online stuff it suggests that that career year might correspond to a switch to the wing. That would concern me a tad - mostly because I wouldn't want to buy high.

It's not really a career year, just more of how he was last year when he also played a lot of wing with Lowry and Roslovic/Perreault/Appleton. I hope he isn't available though since he's better than his value likely is. IMO Copp and Lowry are arguably the only two Jets forwards that are legitimately good defensively.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Too many possible jokes here...
Not really...only jokes are over PLD, and jackets had to move him, he became a distraction...they got great value for him....and got an over payment by quite a few of your fellow peggers...so no, there's no jokes to get off except very poor trolls

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
None of this is based in actual statistical reality. As always, your random baffling hatred of Monahan is clear.

Since the 2018-19 season, they've produced almost the exact same amount at 5v5, but Domi has done so without being carried by one of the best wingers in the game:

2018-19
Monahan 78gp 20g 49p
Domi 82gp 22g 53p

2019-20
Monahan 70gp 11g 25p
Domi 71gp 12g 27p

2020-21
Monahan 21gp 1g 8p
Domi 24gp 2g 5p

Total
Monahan 169gp 32g 82p
Domi 177gp 36g 85p

These are statistical facts. I have no hatred for Monahan. Domi is just the better player. He led Montreal in scoring by 14 points in 2018-19. He can drive offense and doesn't rely on his linemates to elevate him.

Meanwhile, Monahan's 5v5 p/60 falls to 1.4 in the ~2,000 minutes he's played without Gaudreau in his career. That's 3rd line production. That's far below Domi's average.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How would Columbus feel about Monahan and Bennett/pick for Domi and Foudy?

I don't think Monahan is the type of guy we'd covet. We need a play driving center. However, I'd personally be interested since Domi hasn't done much and I don't think Foudy has much offensive upside, but I don't think it would happen

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
These are statistical facts. I have no hatred for Monahan. Domi is just the better player. He led Montreal in scoring by 14 points in 2018-19. He can drive offense and doesn't rely on his linemates to elevate him.

Waiting for this version of Max Domi to arrive. Not sure he exists.

Reactions: GoJackets1

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You just traded your #1C for a wing, you dumbasses. Kind of late to be looking for a C now, after you traded your best chip, isn't it? Now you are like the rest of the schmucks looking for a #1C, with nothing to offer.

Oh, and Torts would eat Monahan alive.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I haven't exactly watched the Jets much this year (I'd end up going through too many displays every time a certain someone stepped onto the ice), but looking at some online stuff it suggests that that career year might correspond to a switch to the wing. That would concern me a tad - mostly because I wouldn't want to buy high.

With Laine injured and then PLD in quarantine, Copp got a good opportunity in the Top 6 as a winger and produced.

He’s definitely a solid 3C but tends to play wing with our centre depth.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

His one great season he had Andrew Shaw do a lot of the dirty work for him, they played great together. The Jackets have a bunch of players like Shaw so not sure what the problem is. Hated his effort in the playoffs last year and I’m not sure why it’s carried over to this season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
To be fair his on ice shooting percentage at 5v5 is like 5%. That's half his career average. That combined with learning a new team and getting a lot less minutes helps to explain his falloff.

Tough year to be playing on a new team - shortened training camp with no preseason and it's a lot harder to get to know your teammates.

Reactions: Dumais

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Monahan or maybe even Bennett make a ton of sense

Monahan might be interesting. Bennett doesn't really solve problems but could be interesting anyways.

Bennett is a genuinely pugnacious f***er, and the Jackets have almost none of that left. I don't think he's a very good center but I would like him in Columbus, assuming they can figure out how to squeeze his salary in.

Monahan is obviously a bad fit. He's not a good defender in his own zone and relies on Gaudreau to do all the transition work. The Jackets don't need a goal scoring center, they very badly need a center who can defend and do the transition work.

Could see a Monahan for Domi swap making sense

Monahan is at worst a decent goal scoring winger, so I'd take that swap. Really anything for Domi sounds good to my ears.

Take Strome.

No.

Unless for Domi.

Thought Roslovic and Domi were good enough.

But Keller and Bennett might be potential pick-ups for them.

Domi can't defend at center, he's a winger. And Roslovic is still new to center and missing much of the nuance. Ideally he should be sheltered behind an experienced center.

Keller is not a real center by the way.

Phil the Thrill Danault is your man.

What's the ask?

Henrique is available :thumbu:

How much are you willing to retain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad