Friedman: Blue Jackets looking to acquire Centers

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Clearly it's going to be Eichel for Jarmo.

Domi, a goalie of Buffalo's choosing, and 2 prospects of Buffalo's choosing. Throw in a 1st too. Easy.

Reactions: north49er

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
cut.jpg

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The CBJ ran with PLD, Jenner, Wennberg and Nash as their primary centers last year. Only Nash remains, and lately he's played a bit of wing too. All of them had 200 ft games. All of them understood the CBJ system and how to support the D. What CBJ is missing is the link at Center. None of what they have right now - Roslovic, Texier, Stenlund and Nash (OK, Nash is a bottom 6C and mostly 4th line PK type) have any of the skill set developed to support the Torts system. I've said it in other threads and prior to the PLD trade but Texier and Roslovic have shown skills to be top 6 Centers but they have a severe shortage in experience and understanding. Stenlund also looks like a nice player but doesn't have what CBJ needs.

Every team wants that big time center but that's not happening in Columbus. They are severely lacking in the art of playing center, not the skill set to play center. Worst faceoff team in the league, zone breakout has gone to hell, can't create because they think, not play... Columbus needs experience and someone that can settle the game and slot guys back in the lineup. Wennberg was a bigger loss to this team (and I supported the buyout) than people realize. Had it not been from the big price tag, zero production, he would be huge right now. They need stabilization. Great if you can get skill and a 200ft game but that's not happening without paying through the nose.

It's going to be a lost year for this team and it's a shame because they have a lot of talent, young talent. They lack the identify they had and are stuck between what they were (amazing forecheck team) and what they needed (more skilled team). They added skill, lost the forecheck and now are easy to play against and can't hold the puck. Disaster. We'll see what they pull but as a fan I'd almost rather see them go through the pain this year and move the young guys forward. hard knocks sucks but I don't see a fix that won't gut a strength and make this any more than a playoff team - not a cup contender.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
For who?? Why on earth would Calgary do that, it leaves Backlund as their only real top 6C unless they move Lindholm back to the middle. Which makes very little sense considering he's being good at wing.

Not to mention Domi just isn't the type of player Calgary would need.
Lindholm has been great a centre. He’s one of our best on face offs. He’s the reason why trading Monohan would benefit the team. But definitely not for Domi. Mony has way higher value.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I wonder if Andrew Copp (WPG) might be expendable this offseason.

Only one more year of control, can play different roles, having a career year.

Reactions: north49er

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I feel like there were a lot of jokey players proposed at the beginning of this thread that would actually be of interest to CBJ. Columbus just looking for natural centers. Texier, Roslovic, and Jenner have primarily played wing throughout their careers. Stenlund has been hit or miss. Dubois was in a similar boat, but was able to blossom as a C at the NHL level. Domi is having the worst year of his career. So a lot of the discussions have been around do you just try to throw the young players in hoping they can develop, or do you play Foligno and Jenner as your top 6 centers.

Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan looks broken again. You know this is the case when he passes off wide open locks in the slot which he’s been doing lately. Looks like a wrist to me.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Danault with an extension? Danault isn't going to last in Montreal, and at best he gets a 1 year deal from them next year to try and redeem himself.

Reactions: Eegs and Gravity

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What are Columbus fans thoughts on Domi? Are you willing to move him and save cap or is he still seen as a top end player in Columbus?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bennett would likely thrive under Torts.

And yeah Monahan makes sense as well.
The thing that makes Bennett interesting is that he plays with the kind of snarl that this team used to have and hopefully someday will have again. The thing that makes him a problem, tho, is that he wants to play C, and the whole point is that we've got On The Job Training cases already and need experience.

The practical ideal would possibly be someone akin to Backlund, except that Backlund seems a bit disproportionately highly valued by the Flames. :)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
@Viqsi Werenski as a lead piece if Buffalo decides to do the unthinkable? I was reading their board earlier and it seems, almost unbelievably, that the idea for Eichel to leave came from the management and not Eichel himself.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I could see Chicago making a deal here to send Dylan Strome to Columbus for something like a 2nd and a 3rd. Strome just has lost any kind of spot he once had in Chicago, but if Toews never returns they might just hold on to him for insurance, or they get blown away by an offer (a 1st round pick or better) which is unlikely to happen

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder if Andrew Copp (WPG) might be expendable this offseason.

Only one more year of control, can play different roles, having a career year.
I haven't exactly watched the Jets much this year (I'd end up going through too many displays every time a certain someone stepped onto the ice), but looking at some online stuff it suggests that that career year might correspond to a switch to the wing. That would concern me a tad - mostly because I wouldn't want to buy high.

* * *​
Why exactly? He's a 40 pt guy with no talent on his wings in ANA. I imagine if you put him with Laine or Atkinson he'd be fine.
And if he was any of 1) under 30, 2) signed for something commensurate with that scoring rate, 3) signed for fewer years, or 4) more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, we might go that way. Unfortunately, he is none of these things.

* * *​
Danault with an extension? Danault isn't going to last in Montreal, and at best he gets a 1 year deal from them next year to try and redeem himself.
You'll have to pardon some of us if we're a bit weary w/r/t buying low on Montreal centers right now. :)

* * *​
I would trade you RNH if it were in my power to do so.
Would obviously depend on the ask, but he'd be highly desirable, yes.

* * *​
@Viqsi Werenski as a lead piece if Buffalo decides to do the unthinkable? I was reading their board earlier and it seems, almost unbelievably, that the idea for Eichel to leave came from the management and not Eichel himself.
A trade for Eichel would be a teensy bit beyond the scope of what we're talking about here. ;) But yeah, there's plenty of Jackets fans who fantasize about a scenario like that. Sabres fans pretty much universally turn it down tho.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Domi + Merzlinkis for RNH + whoever Columbus would take who Edmonton would give who balances the cap out

RNH has been playing wing mostly but he's the type of skilled C that should work well with Laine

Alternatively Domi for Strome from the Hawks

Reactions: CanuckCity

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I could see Chicago making a deal here to send Dylan Strome to Columbus for something like a 2nd and a 3rd. Strome just has lost any kind of spot he once had in Chicago, but if Toews never returns they might just hold on to him for insurance, or they get blown away by an offer (a 1st round pick or better) which is unlikely to happen
Battle-honed reflexes developed over the past year and a half have me wanting to immediately say "no" to anything involving a Strome brother, but at this point I suppose it might be worth trying. If it happens, tho, I can't guarantee anyone's safety.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You'll have to pardon some of us if we're a bit weary w/r/t buying low on Montreal centers right now. :)
Lol fair enough, but most knew that Domi's first season with us was an anomaly. Danault outplayed him last year and was far more effective at center. Domi couldn't outplay 4th liners in the playoffs while Danault was shutting down the other teams best players. If I were to bet, I'd say that this year is an anomaly for Danault and he will go back to producing 40-45 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad