Rumor: Blow it up or nah? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Keeping my prayers up that the Flames don't strike gold with Chad Johnson in net (really, I doubt they will but who knows). That way come TDL maybe we can trade Varly to them for a nice young piece or a 1st round pick.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'd absolutely love to have Jenner (he brings a lot of what the Avs need), but I don't think I'd give up Bigras for him.

Is Jenner a guy you could see as that big #2 Centerman? I know you're a big believer in assembling a specific core. So if you believe Jenner can be that #2 Centerman, but Bigras only a top-4 defenceman, do you not make that trade?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Jenner a guy you could see as that big #2 Centerman? I know you're a big believer in assembling a specific core. So if you believe Jenner can be that #2 Centerman, but Bigras only a top-4 defenceman, do you not have to make that trade?

IMO Jenner isn't a good center. He could be a #3, but he is much more effective as a top 6 wing (and can play as a compliment on a top line pretty easily).

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
IMO Jenner isn't a good center. He could be a #3, but he is much more effective as a top 6 wing (and can play as a compliment on a top line pretty easily).

If you don't see him filling that role, that's fair. It'll be interesting to see what Columbus does.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Leafs are sitting Peter Holland pending a trade. I personally would like him centering the 4th line. His production is decent in his very limited ice time. I know the leafs want to get tougher on D, tyutin? Anything?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Leafs are sitting Peter Holland pending a trade. I personally would like him centering the 4th line. His production is decent in his very limited ice time. I know the leafs want to get tougher on D, tyutin? Anything?

Gelinas... the Leafs group likes him.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Gelinas... the Leafs group likes him.

That is smart, probably could snag a late round pick as well to be used in the expansion.

I constantly forget about gelinas. Holland needs a new team, he has the makings of a middle 6 player but doesn't fit with the leafs.

I believe he played some AHL time with John Mitchell so he would have a friend.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He checks all the boxes for the group. Size, history, and fancy stats. It isn't a secret they like him... they just were not willing to pay New Jersey.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think I already know the answer to this but am I the only one who has faith in Gelinas? I think he's already capable of being a bottom pairing guy and may even grow into a middle pairing guy with some easy matchups and PP time.

I know he's made a lot of mistakes but I don't think he's ever really been used properly in an Avs uniform. Everyone says they want Zads clapper on the PP. Gelly's is way better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know he's made a lot of mistakes but I don't think he's ever really been used properly in an Avs uniform. Everyone says they want Zads clapper on the PP. Gelly's is way better.

That is the #1 reason to have him in the lineup. You put up with his BS everywhere else to utilize his shot... the Avs seem oblivious to that though. Coaches (all... not just ours) really must not like the kid to ignore his obvious strength.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think I already know the answer to this but am I the only one who has faith in Gelinas? I think he's already capable of being a bottom pairing guy and may even grow into a middle pairing guy with some easy matchups and PP time.

He has a great Slapshot, that's about it. I liked Guenin better than I like this guy. At least Guenin was comical :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gelinas has a great shot and it would help the PP but I just have no time for defensemen who are really lacking in hockey sense. IMO, the bad outweighs the good. I'd only want Gelinas playing if it's to showcase him for a trade but I don't know if that'll help his value.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The bad outweighs the good with Gelinas. If he had a Shea Weber caliber shot and was being set up for it on a PP, maybe you live with it but he doesn't, and he doesn't do anything else well.

If you're that big and play that soft as a defensemen, you're going to find yourself in Europe before you know it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With our luck we'd probably get someone like Polak back if Gelinas was traded to the Leafs. A Beauchemin-Polak pairing would be as if something from my nightmares became a reality.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

That is the #1 reason to have him in the lineup. You put up with his BS everywhere else to utilize his shot... the Avs seem oblivious to that though. Coaches (all... not just ours) really must not like the kid to ignore his obvious strength.

At New jersey they did utilize his shot... however the deficiencies in his game are waay to glaring to have him on the ice even for 10 minutes a night.

I've said it at the time of the trade...the Devils couldn't make him a competent defender, how in the world do you expect the avs to?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At New jersey they did utilize his shot... however the deficiencies in his game are waay to glaring to have him on the ice even for 10 minutes a night.

I've said it at the time of the trade...the Devils couldn't make him a competent defender, how in the world do you expect the avs to?

Hynes didn't give Gelinas much of a shot there (TBF much more than Gelinas has gotten here)... prior to Hynes, New Jersey did and I don't think it is coincidence those were his best seasons. Gelinas is a limited player, but in the right situation I think he can have success. Doubt that is here at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln