Rumor: Blow it up or nah? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs have, and will, waste EJ's entire career.

Since they got him at what, 23 years old? O'Brien, Hunwick, Zanon, Hejda, Beauchemin, and Tyutin.

What a terrible list of partners for a supposed franchise defenceman.

Refusal to draft D in the 1st is a very big part of that. Siemens in 2011 is simply not enough...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Refusal to draft D in the 1st is a very big part of that. Siemens in 2011 is simply not enough...

Agreed. Although it's debatable with the lottery picks if they should have picked a defenceman. Only one I'd say for sure would be OEL over Duchene. The Avs actually haven't had a great selection of defenceman available.

2015- Would still take Rantanen
2014-No Worthy defenceman after Bleakley worthwhile.
2013-MacKinnon
2012-No Pick
2011-Klefbom over Siemens
2010-No one worthwhile after Hishon until you get to Faulk in the high 30s.
2009-OEL over Duchene.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That doesn't mean they couldn't have moved up though. The Avs have had their shots at defensemen, but just have refused to take them.

Many people disagree with the way Columbus drafts, but I love how they always try to draft the player that fits with what they are trying to build rather than the same players over and over again.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It is becoming quite tiring being a team who "will be good in the future" though. We were supposed to be good in the future 5 years ago. What percentage of our best prospects/high draft picks ever actually make this team?

We say our future looks bright with MacK, Rantanen, Jost, Bigras, Zadorov, etc. - but given our track record I can only expect that the wheels will completely fall off for 2-3 of those players too, if it hasn't already started to.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Agreed. Although it's debatable with the lottery picks if they should have picked a defenceman. Only one I'd say for sure would be OEL over Duchene. The Avs actually haven't had a great selection of defenceman available.

2015- Would still take Rantanen
2014-No Worthy defenceman after Bleakley worthwhile.
2013-MacKinnon
2012-No Pick
2011-Klefbom over Siemens
2010-No one worthwhile after Hishon until you get to Faulk in the high 30s.
2009-OEL over Duchene.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have moved up though. The Avs have had their shots at defensemen, but just have refused to take them.

Many people disagree with the way Columbus drafts, but I love how they always try to draft the player that fits with what they are trying to build rather than the same players over and over again.

Could they have though?

2015 has to be Rants.

2014 there's no way we are going to be able to trade up to get Ekblad, no one else has really done all that much as a defencemen.

2013 if you take Jones instead of MacK then we have a better defense and our offense is in the gutter.

2012 don't have a pick

2011 is really the only one where you could say they could've either moved up, or made a better pick with the 11th.

2010 they could have moved up to take Fowler I guess...but look at the dmen that were picked in the first...it's not pretty.

2009 they could've picked OEL instead of Dutch, though that would've been a reach at the time. I'm pretty sure TBay wasn't going to look into moving that 2nd after they had drafted Stamkos before. It was their perfect opportunity to pair Stamkos with a potential top-pairing Dman.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Had they picked OEL over Duchene that would be a massive reach back then. Furthermore, I know people love OEL, but if you watch him play he has his warts, they aren't minor either. His defensive game has been awfully unimpressive.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'd imagine Hench is referring to that Hanifin deal he alluded to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca