Rumor: Blow it up or nah? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But why, just to protect Soderberg and Comeau?

And that just makes six. Who gets the seventh forward spot? Marty? McLeod? Colborne? Who honestly thinks those guys are worth protecting at the cost of 4.5 million in dead cap space?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh, good point...I guess I didn't do the math. I'm actually hoping they DON'T protect Sortaberg and he gets drafted. I really want that guy off the team in a big way and that's about the only way I see him getting jettisoned without the Avs having to retain salary in any way.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Oh, good point...I guess I didn't do the math. I'm actually hoping they DON'T protect Sortaberg and he gets drafted. I really want that guy off the team in a big way and that's about the only way I see him getting jettisoned without the Avs having to retain salary in any way.

In that case, the Avs protect MacK, Duchene, Landy, Grigo, Beauch, Barrie, EJ, Zadorov, and then hope that Soderberg and his top six potential is more valuable to the Knights than Varlamov. It's possible. If we can trade Varley for a pick or two, Soderberg is basically Vegas's only choice.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
Nobody wants beauchemin. We couldn't give him away, let alone find a team dumb enough to take part or all of his salary, especially a team like Montreal.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Avs should just protect Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Grigorenko, EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Beauchemin and Pickard. Deal Varly at the tdl and then the best thing for vegas would be soderberg.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Honestly if Colorado is stuck protecting 8, the big three plus 5 defensemen doesn't sound crazy. Wiercioch is in his mid 20's and is the biggest player that sticks out as someone who shouldn't be exposed.

Grigorenko is young but doesn't seem like anything special. Soderberg is having a bad year, however is still a good player, but is older and has a big contract.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe Yeti is just a slow starter....

Honestly if Colorado is stuck protecting 8, the big three plus 5 defensemen doesn't sound crazy. Wiercioch is in his mid 20's and is the biggest player that sticks out as someone who shouldn't be exposed.

Grigorenko is young but doesn't seem like anything special. Soderberg is having a bad year, however is still a good player, but is older and has a big contract.

I don't have any faith whatsoever that Yeti will become what the Avs expected/hoped him to be when they traded for/signed him. He will never be the defensive stalwart the Avs need him to be, and his offense will never be good enough to mitigate that fact.

And I can't be the only person who notices how lazy he seems to get when he gets bumped below the top six.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't have any faith whatsoever that Yeti will become what the Avs expected/hoped him to be when they traded for/signed him. He will never be the defensive stalwart the Avs need him to be, and his offense will never be good enough to mitigate that fact.

And I can't be the only person who notices how lazy he seems to get when he gets bumped below the top six.

He is just your run of the mill second line center. I'd still rather have him at 4.75 than Stastny at 7.00, all things being equal.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He is just your run of the mill second line center. I'd still rather have him at 4.75 than Stastny at 7.00, all things being equal.

I can't agree with that at all...I mean, Stastny and a plug on league minimum, or Comeau and Soderberg? Stastny would be such as massive boost to the top six right now.

XXX - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Stastny - XXX

Stick Duchene on the wing or even try to create a third scoring line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I feel like Vegas is going to make some weird picks, like what f they want Grimaldi or something.

They do have to hit a certain number for cap purposes, and Soderberg probably isn't the worst you could do if you are looking at players with some salary. At least not in this draft he wouldn't be. Especially if Varlamov isn't an option.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No offense but that's a terrible way to rationalize it. If indeed he were a poor-man's Stastny or O'Reilly I could live with that. In fact that's what they brought him aboard to do. He's not even that though. Just because he doesn't cost upwards of $5-6 million doesn't mean that contract isn't a big albatross right now.

The Avs don't need a mediocre 2C. They have two very good scoring line centers to build those top two lines around. They need a reliable 3C who can play capable D and provide some scoring punch beyond the top six. Sortaberg is either unable or unwilling to fill that role.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I can't agree with that at all...I mean, Stastny and a plug on league minimum, or Comeau and Soderberg? Stastny would be such as massive boost to the top six right now.

XXX - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Stastny - XXX

Stick Duchene on the wing or even try to create a third scoring line.

I literally sighed at this. Oh well maybe he can come back once his contract ends..somehow.
im too lazy to do the numbers and scenario projections

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
No offense but that's a terrible way to rationalize it. If indeed he were a poor-man's Stastny or O'Reilly I could live with that. In fact that's what they brought him aboard to do. He's not even that though. Just because he doesn't cost upwards of $5-6 million doesn't mean that contract isn't a big albatross right now.

The Avs don't need a mediocre 2C. They have two very good scoring line centers to build those top two lines around. They need a reliable 3C who can play capable D and provide some scoring punch beyond the top six. Sortaberg is either unable or unwilling to fill that role.

Sorry guys, I misremembered and thought Soderberg was brought in for Stastny rather than O'Reilly.

Either way, I think Soderberg is okay. He was good last year. He's not anything special, but by that same token, if Colorado lost him, it would be a sizable role to fill.

That's kinda the thing with free agent signings. You're never happy with the value vs. production, but most of the time your team is still better off with that player, imo.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I literally sighed at this. Oh well maybe he can come back once his contract ends..somehow.
im too lazy to do the numbers and scenario projections

I looked at those lines and having Stastny and sighed too. He would be such a nice fit here right now...fits with either Landeskog at centre, or MacKinnon the wing, pretty reliable in his own end...in hindsight, he was a big, big mistake to let go. Regardless, it's happened, time to look to the future.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sometimes I think some of you post just to read your own words, and screw paying attention to what actually happened in reality at the time. Like Colorado and Patrick Roy didn't do everything within reason to keep the player?

Stastny got a reasonable offer and left, even after stringing the franchise along talking about home town discount.

7M for a sub 50 point center? LOL

I don't really blame anyone for forgetting this, but they also tried to get James Neal at the draft as well. So Iginla was never the first option, he was third, maybe more.

Seriously the level of attnetion to details from the past, at times reminds me of the level of knowledge the casual fans on facebook desplay when they complain about Cody Mcleod being scratched or having the A taken. STOP ACTING LIKE WE JUST LET STASTNY WALK

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm not getting into that. Obviously we have different perceptions of what Stastny did, what the Avs did, and the effort the Avs put into replacing him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Sometimes I think some of you post just to read your own words, and screw paying attention to what actually happened in reality at the time. Like Colorado and Patrick Roy didn't do everything within reason to keep the player?

Stastny got a reasonable offer and left, even after stringing the franchise along talking about home town discount.

I don't really blame anyone for forgetting this, but they also tried to get James Neal at the draft as well. So Iginla was never the first option, he was third, maybe more.

Seriously the level of attnetion to details from the past, at times reminds me of the level of knowledge the casual fans on facebook desplay when they complain about Cody Mcleod being scratched or having the A taken. STOP ACTING LIKE WE JUST LET STASTNY WALK[/QUOTE]

Well i wasnt saying anything about that, just lamenting that he's not around. I agree he made the right decision, just sucks is all.

also, chill out.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Seriously the level of attnetion to details from the past, at times reminds me of the level of knowledge the casual fans on facebook desplay when they complain about Cody Mcleod being scratched or having the A taken. STOP ACTING LIKE WE JUST LET STASTNY WALK[/QUOTE]

Well i wasnt saying anything about that, just lamenting that he's not around. I agree he made the right decision, just sucks is all.

The one I really miss is O'Reilly, but I'm not sure I'd undo the trade.

The only way I'd still want Stastny is if he actually signed something reasonable meaning bellow 6M, and he was offered more than that.

I like Duchene better, but after drafting MacK, I think I would have traded Duchene instead if we're using hind sight lol. Especially valuing the chemistry that Landeskog and O'Reilly had.

I'll chill out when people who have been around for a while stop acting like casuals, and give the facts due diligence.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The one I really miss is O'Reilly, but I'm not sure I'd undo the trade.

The only way I'd still want Stastny is if he actually signed something reasonable meaning bellow 6M, and he was offered more than that.

I like Duchene better, but after drafting MacK, I think I would have traded Duchene instead if we're using hind sight lol. Especially valuing the chemistry that Landeskog and O'Reilly had.

I'll chill out when people who have been around for a while stop acting like casuals, and give the facts due diligence.

I mean, you're stating that people aren't remembering the facts, and then you go and state the O'Reilly situation. Let's be honest, there wasn't one person who thought O'Reilly on a 7x7 contract was a good situation for the Avs.

You're doing what the previous posters were doing, looking at hindsight without adding in all the facts. Regardless or not if it's just wishful thinking, you're doing exactly what you told other people to stop doing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean, you're stating that people aren't remembering the facts, and then you go and state the O'Reilly situation. Let's be honest, there wasn't one person who thought O'Reilly on a 7x7 contract was a good situation for the Avs.

You're doing what the previous posters were doing, looking at hindsight without adding in all the facts. Regardless or not if it's just wishful thinking, you're doing exactly what you told other people to stop doing.

LOL, what?

Saying O'Reilly is the one I miss does not mean a damn thing but hes a player I wish was still on the team. Did you see me say anything about the Avs making a mistake a not keeping him, or letting him walk? Nothing in my comment has anything to do with whatever you came up with lol. I also stated that I'm not sure I'd undo the trade.

There is a difference between wishing a player was still around, and making comments about the franchise making big big mistakes.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
LOL, what?

Saying O'Reilly is the one I miss does not mean a damn thing but hes a player I wish was still on the team. Did you see me say anything about the Avs making a mistake a not keeping him? Nothing in my comment has anything to do with whatever you came up with lol.

Uhm you forgot this part. You know, the part where you're implying we actually had an option to trade Duchene over O'Reilly, because we really didn't. It's the same as implying we just let Stastny walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad