Rumor: Blow it up or nah? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I thought that, once a NMC was waived, the new team could elect whether or not to honor the NMC for the remainder of the deal.

Not that it really matters. I don't see anybody pining after FB, and I don't really see Bednar and Sakic wanting to trade a veteran defender, regardless of how bad he's been this year.

I thought so once too, but the team only gets that option if the NTC / NMC has not kicked in yet. If Beauchemin did not have a NMC right now but it was going to start on July 1, then a team trading for Beauch between now and July 1 would have the option of not honouring that future NMC.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I thought that, once a NMC was waived, the new team could elect whether or not to honor the NMC for the remainder of the deal.

Not that it really matters. I don't see anybody pining after FB, and I don't really see Bednar and Sakic wanting to trade a veteran defender, regardless of how bad he's been this year.

Pretty sure you are right. I looked through the CBA and it seems to indicate that once it's waived it's optional for the next team to honour it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hm, so I guess we don't even lose anyone of value if figure out the goalie situation, if they end up taking Soderberg it could be a blessing in disguise.

Pretty much. We only HAVE to protect Mack, Landy, Dutchy, Z, EJ, Barrie and Beauch. Other than that it's meh other than the goalie situation.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pretty much. We only HAVE to protect Mack, Landy, Dutchy, Z, EJ, Barrie and Beauch. Other than that it's meh other than the goalie situation.

Can we just protect those 7 and beg Vegas to take two out of whatever is left in the skaters? :sarcasm:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hm, so I guess we don't even lose anyone of value if figure out the goalie situation, if they end up taking Soderberg it could be a blessing in disguise.

Funny, once thought to be the direct replacement for ROR and was even added to the Zads and co return (to make fans feel better about it) and no we're hoping he leaves for nothing.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
I thought so once too, but the team only gets that option if the NTC / NMC has not kicked in yet. If Beauchemin did not have a NMC right now but it was going to start on July 1, then a team trading for Beauch between now and July 1 would have the option of not honouring that future NMC.

LOL. Why would Beauchemin ever waive? He's getting paid a crapton of money with no accountability. It's a dream scenario for him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LOL. Why would Beauchemin ever waive? He's getting paid a crapton of money with no accountability. It's a dream scenario for him.

I certainly could see him waive to go to Montreal (his home town + winning team).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup, in the end I think Beauchemin will be a Stuart-level mistake, and thus will need to be solved the same way. No one will take that deal and I highly doubt Beauch will waive anyway--the NMC was a big reason he came to CO in the first place.

I'm really, really hoping Vegas opts to take Sortaberg. That'd be the best-case scenario with that albatross of a contract.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Beauchemin buyout won't save any cap space so hopefully they can find another solution. Maybe someone would take him at half his salary. Buyout would work if the goal is to not have to protect him, save Kroenke some money, or just remove him from the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If the Avs retained salary on Beauch I think you'd find more then a couple teams interested.

He's struggling here in a Top 4 role, but I think he could still be useful on another team where he's relied upon less.

He'd look good in Chicago and LA IMO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Retain 50% on Beauchemin and move him at the deadline if he agrees to waive. Yeah, he sucks here but put him in a 3rd pairing role with a mobile defensemen and him only making 2.25M and I think teams would be interested.

Granted, it still requires him actually waiving, which I don't see him doing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Buying Beauch out for that last year is probably the best option if you don't want to protect him. It's not like we won't have cap space to spare next year with nothing to spend it on. Hell, at this point, I'd just protect him. Protecting three extra forwards when we only have three important ones anyway? We'd be better off just going 4-4 and exposing Soderberg, we'll be lucky if they take him with all these younger centers coming up behind him. Why take a big buyout just to protect him and Comeau?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Buying Beauch out for that last year is probably the best option if you don't want to protect him. It's not like we won't have cap space to spare next year with nothing to spend it on. Hell, at this point, I'd just protect him. Protecting three extra forwards when we only have three important ones anyway? We'd be better off just going 4-4 and exposing Soderberg, we'll be lucky if they take him with all these younger centers coming up behind him. Why take a big buyout just to protect him and Comeau?

Agreed. We don't have enough valuable pieces to really be concerned about the expansion draft IMO.

Picks/Varly, MacKinnon, Duchene, Landy, Barrie, EJ, Zadorov, Beachemin and? Grigs? Soda? Weirdo? Personally I'd be quite happy if we went this route and they took Soderberg or Comeau or Colborne.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone else thinking Weircoch might be the 8th? lol Not sure we'll be able to, but he'd probably be the best choice.

Also, I wonder if there might be some negative effect if you leave someone like Soda unprotected that has term left and they are not chosen?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's not like they have too much talent, I think they'll just roll with whatever and protect Beauch. Goalie situation is where the real decision is though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the Avs retained salary on Beauch I think you'd find more then a couple teams interested.

He's struggling here in a Top 4 role, but I think he could still be useful on another team where he's relied upon less.

He'd look good in Chicago and LA IMO.

Frankly he's been shuffled all throughout the lineup and even in a bottom pairing role he's been terrible. So I don't think even on a better team he would fare much better. He's still about two or three steps too slow for the NHL right now. I don't think you'll find any suitors even at half-off.

I think it's buyout or nothing--I'd be pretty shocked if the team actually wasted a protection spot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad