Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I got the opposite impression. The only reason Gallant chose the Rangers was because Yzerman chose to extend Blashill's contract last year and not because he didn't want to go to Detroit.

Point being, it's all speculation.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Interesting.

so-whos-next.jpg

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
just wish we'd done this sooner and got gallant. and no, this isn't hindsight. half the fanbase was screaming for it.
this times 1000. should have happened the day after Vegas was stupid enough to fire Gallant.

as a side, im shocked at the lack of 'troll' threads mocking Vegas for stabbing their winning coach and star players in the back and then missing the playoffs. maybe karma is a thing after all.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Trocheck, rather see Forsberg let's say 5 years at 8 million/season. Would be nice to get him for less. Forsberg would likely demand more and longer term. Forsberg is 27

Forsberg has never played center in the NHL. The guy has taken maybe 100 faceoffs in his NHL career. He’s a full time winger.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Getting a decent coach gives us a chance at turning Veleno, Zadina, Rasmussen, and Hronek into much better NHLers and that will make our team a lot better. It's not just about tanking. A new coach might recover some of our "lost" first round picks.
I'd be real careful about going into next season thinking any of those guys are going to suddenly take giant leaps because of a coaching change.
Other than Zadina is really difficult to argue that any of them even should be doing a lot more than they have been.

Reactions: wings95

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I think he knew last night it was over.
Post automatically merged:

Trocheck, rather see Forsberg let's say 5 years at 8 million/season. Would be nice to get him for less. Forsberg would likely demand more and longer term. Forsberg is 27
Forsberg isn't a C even though it says he is on literally every site lol. And yes he is a better option anyway.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Nothing against Blash but this is good news. I don't think he's a bad coach and I'm sure he'll have no problem finding a new gig but it was time for a change. I don't know why people are assuming the next coach needs to make the playoffs next year, that just seems silly. SY has been extremely patient up until this point and I don't anticipate him making a rushed attempt to get the team to the playoffs just cause "new coach".

This team is lacking at least two high end forwards and at least 2 top 4 defenseman(hopefully Edvinsson becomes one but I don't expect that immediately) and until the team has those pieces it's ridiculous to expect playoffs regardless of who the coach is. I'm just glad that the players finally will get a new voice in the room and maybe the new coach can find some different roles for guys to get more out of them.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
just wish we'd done this sooner and got gallant. and no, this isn't hindsight. half the fanbase was screaming for it.
Yep I wanted Gallant. He's built up a really good track record in Florida, Vegas and now New York. However our roster wasn't quite where it needs to be so like whatever. We now have some high quality to pieces to build around. I think the next coaching hire will tell us where Yzerman's mind is at right now.

Oct 18, 2006
About time.

Nothing against the guy, seems like a quality individual who I wish nothing but the best for, but his time was up. Not enough consistency in performance, way too many thrashings, not enough improvement.

He’s had bad rosters absolutely, he came in at an awful time, and I thank him for his professionalism. But he’s an average head coach. Line-ups, ice time, scratchings, on ice product; he needed to go.

Not expecting our next coach to set the world on fire immediately, we’re still rebuilding, but I’m sure improvements will be evident.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think that doing that next season would land them into purgatory for the next 5 years and they will be tearing it down and rebuilding after that.
That's a reactionary opinion.

It pretends that
1) Seider won't get better.
2) Raymond won't get better.
3) None of the other Wings draft picks will be helpful.

This is Yzerman's 4th draft in the top 10.

By the way, even this "purgatory" place - we've seen teams emerge from purgatory into competitors.

So what if we don't become the next Tampa.

RIght now, I'd settle for what the LA Kings are doing.
Maybe next year we'd not qualify. Maybe we would.
Either way, it's not like you don't still have draft picks to continue building.

There's this weird binary stance some fans have...
1) You're either trading picks to compete
OR
2) You're trading assets for picks.

Lots of teams live in between and can turn 13th to 22nd overall picks into useful or maybe even core players.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I’d love to hear your plan for how we are going to bypass being a middle of the pack team altogether and go from awful to amazing with the snap of a finger.

I’d actually love for anyone saying we shouldn’t start to try improving this team to tell me, because I have yet to see it.
That the cool thing, you don't. This team has another season or two before its going to be sniffing the playoffs. The best thing for them to do is to continue good asset management, collect picks and prospects, and once they're ready move assets to sure up any deficiencies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That the cool thing, you don't. This team has another season or two before its going to be sniffing the playoffs. The best thing for them to do is to continue good asset management, collect picks and prospects, and once they're ready move assets to sure up any deficiencies.

Just go for the playoffs.
If you fail, so what? You get picks.
If you succeed? Great.
Nobody's saying give up prospect/picks at the deadline.
Just build a competitive team.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's a reactionary opinion.

It pretends that
1) Seider won't get better.
2) Raymond won't get better.
3) None of the other Wings draft picks will be helpful.
1. Seider's impact getting better will be less dramatic than his impact filling the empty spot.

2. Raymond could get better, but I don't think his development will be linear. I think next year he might start slow as other teams continue to game plan for him, and he has less time to recover from his first long NHL season. How well he adjusts will determine if next year we see a sophomore slump or not. But my money is on his ceiling being about 25-50% higher than his final totals this year and will be a couple more seasons before they see that. However, if he's the only major weapon, those could be lower as teams force him to play against their top defenders night in and night out.

3. They could be, but, your plan requires multiple picks slotting into high impact positions right away or Yzerman to aggressive trade for players to fill those gaps, as the biggest question marks in your lineup aren't going to be filled in free agency this year in a way that would significantly move the bar from bottom feeder to anything beyond slightly less bad bottom feeder/barely a bubble team.
Post automatically merged:

Just go for the playoffs.
If you fail, so what? You get picks.
If you succeed? Great.
Nobody's saying give up prospect/picks at the deadline.
Just build a competitive team.
How does being first round fodder/a bubble team not put this team right back where it was in 2016? The current gaps are way too big to hope to fill with middle of the first round dudes reliably and quickly. To significantly move the bar they either need to draft in the top ten a couple more seasons or they need to start aggressively moving assets to secure impact players. This team isn't a few FA plugs away from being good.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seider's impact getting better will be less dramatic than his impact filling the empty spot.

Raymond could get better, but I don't think his development will be linear. I think next year he might start slow as other teams continue to game plan for him, and he has less time to recover from his first long NHL season.

They could be, but, your plan requires multiple picks slotting into high impact positions right away or Yzerman to aggressive trade for players to fill those gaps, as the biggest question marks in your lineup aren't going to be filled in free agency this year in a way that would significantly move the bar from bottom feeder to anything beyond slightly less bad bottom feeder/barely a bubble team.

Edvinsson.
Wallinder.
Soderblom.
Cossa.
Buium.
Mazur.
Niederbach.
Hannas.
Sebrango.
Viro.
Bednar.
Mastrosimone.
Johansson.

Plus the 9-10 picks we have this year.

There's no need to gameplan for another bottom 5 finish.

If it happens? OK. Great. Make the best of it.

But it's time to stop expecting to suck.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Edvinsson.
Wallinder.
Soderblom.
Cossa.
Buium.
Mazur.
Niederbach.
Hannas.
Sebrango.
Viro.
Bednar.
Mastrosimone.
Johansson.

Plus the 9-10 picks we have this year.

There's no need to gameplan for another bottom 5 finish.

If it happens? OK. Great. Make the best of it.

But it's time to stop expecting to suck.
Of those Cossa is 4-5 years out.
Wallinder and Sodorblom haven't played a single game in NA.
Most of the rest are way more likely to never see the NHL than they are to ever be high impact players, and most of them are still years away from the NHL.
That leaves Edvinsson who is likely 1-2 years out from the NHL and the only one that is likely to be high impact. Still leaving their need for a good goalie in the next half decade, 2 LDs and a top 6 center at least as good as Larkin.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It's a shame to me personally as one of about 5 supporters of him on the forum. But I can admit he was ultimately a lame duck coach. I just wish he was given say 2 years with a actual decent roster to see if he was a good coach when he had a NHL level talented roster.

I'm sure of him getting another chance in the bigs as a head coaching gig. I just hope he can be slightly selective and not jump on another tank team depth level roster.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How does being first round fodder/a bubble team not put this team right back where it was in 2016? The current gaps are way too big to hope to fill with middle of the first round dudes reliably and quickly. To significantly move the bar they either need to draft in the top ten a couple more seasons or they need to start aggressively moving assets to secure impact players. This team isn't a few FA plugs away from being good.
Because 2of our best players are under 22, not over 35. The rest of the best players are 25, 26, and 27.

So getting to a playoff bubble team would mean we are ascending, not descending.

Why the f*** would you compare this to the 2016 roster? We’re not getting carried by 35+ year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad