Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not over the moon about Blash being fired, looking back he was done pretty dirty in the timing he got the big job. Still think he's a capable NHL coach, but after so many years in Detroit, it was time to move on. I hope he finds a new gig and does well.

Reactions: odin1981

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is an opinion, not a fact. It's literally just as legitimate for me to say: "4 of the bottom 9 teams, points wise, are in our division because the other four teams arr Florida, Tampa, Toronto, and Boston. Split those teams into the other divisions and two of the others reach 83+ points."

Flawed one-sided arguments aside, all four of those juggernauts in our division are legitimately VERY good. Does anyone seriously believe that Pittsburgh, Calgary, Edmonton, and Minnesota, and Shesterkin singlehandedly (aka "the Rangers") are better than Tampa or Boston? You'd lose me with such an argument.

Possibly. Sure.
Boston wasn't lights out this year.
Tampa is showing signs of getting a little weary.
Toronto has had disastrous defense/goaltending all year.
Florida lost their #1 defense

It's pretty f***ing obvious there there was a massive divide between the haves and have nots in both eastern conference divisions.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
#1C. Larkin still isn't the right answer.
Larkin did just fine this year. As much as i want a player thats gonna throw up 100 points or 50 goals id you look at Dats and Z those guys were ELITE and Dats highest point totals were 97. Larkin plays at a PPG pace we will be all right

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin did just fine this year. As much as i want a player thats gonna throw up 100 points or 50 goals id you look at Dats and Z those guys were ELITE and Dats highest point totals were 97. Larkin plays at a PPG pace we will be all right
Larkin has never finished a season at a PPG. And most seasons he's been substantially below a PPG.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I just dont understand how everyone says no chance for playoffs next year. Vegas was an expansion team that made the finals in their first year. There is so many holes on the team that Yzerman has some what of an upper hand. Lots of spots open and lots of money to spend. Your a free agent and your agent says Yzerman wants to talk most guys are gonna listen. He could easily say, ya we had a rough year but its always been the plan, we have some core guys now that are legit players, we are bringing in a new coaching staff, we have a brand new rink and training. faciity. Now Detroit has a bit of an appeal again. So many picks the last few years and free signings that he just weeds through the players he wants. How many players are signed for 2023? Like none. You think he is gonna ice a bunch of trash to save money? All these rookies coming in are on ELC's he is gonna use that to his advantage to sign better players to surround them with.

Because look at how that draft was set up.
If Detroit goes out and gets a 2C, a 1LD and a 1G, I think we can battle for a playoff spot.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
Vrana-2C-Rasmussen
Zadina-Veleno-Berggren
Erne-Sundvist-Fabbri
(Suter/whoever)

1LD-Seider
2LD-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom

1G/Ned

But we just hope rookies get the job done, man...

Reactions: WF19

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Detroit goes out and gets a 2C, a 1LD and a 1G, I think we can battle for a playoff spot.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
Vrana-2C-Rasmussen
Zadina-Veleno-Berggren
Erne-Sundvist-Fabbri
(Suter/whoever)

1LD-Seider
2LD-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom

1G/Ned

I think that doing that next season would land them into purgatory for the next 5 years and they will be tearing it down and rebuilding after that.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Kind of tangential, but if I were Michigan State I'd be working hard to get Blashill behind the bench. That seems like a pretty logical next step for both parties.
That was, quite literally, the first thought that came to my head (and I use the word "literal" correctly).

I'm in the same camp as you that it was a necessary move to jettison him, yet I'm not here to shit on him. To preface my stance, I would welcome him with open arms in Madison. I think he could really turn MSU back into a contender.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
#1C. Larkin still isn't the right answer.
If his production this year is the norm for the next 3-5 years, you would be wrong. We’ll see how that plays out. Good to know he’s got PPG play in him with solid defense. Was looking questionable after that 18-19 season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think that doing that next season would land them into purgatory for the next 5 years and they will be tearing it down and rebuilding after that.
How do you have any idea if they would stay in purgatory for 5 years?

Hell, MBH didn’t even name the players in those slots. We have all these prospects that are unknown commodities. We have future free agency, future trades, etc.

Last edited:

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
Vrana-2C-Rasmussen
Zadina-Veleno-Berggren
Erne-Sundvist-Fabbri
(Suter/whoever)

1LD-Seider
2LD-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom

1G/Ned

Totally here ya but lets not forget that is with no additions this offseason. You can argue that there is the possibilty of Bert,Erne,Fabbri,Zadina, Hronek used as trade bait no? One thing that is nice about Yzerman unlike Holland is if he doesnt like how someone is playing they are gone. Look at Mantha, signs a deal and is gone. I at least like how he puts the team before loyalty

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How do you have any idea if they would stay in purgatory for 5 years?

Hell, MBH didn’t even name the players in those slots. We have all these prospects that are unknown commodities. We have future free agency, future trades, etc.
I read it like this was his idea for this offseason to get them into the playoffs next year. If thats the case to get those assets, either they're paying players in FA that aren't what I would consider the best choices, or trading draft capital/prospects. Neither of those ware wise right now because of the relatively weak FA class and because Detroit still doesn't have the core setup and the right spot to use draft picks and prospects to get the players they need not to be a team in purgatory.

The guy was pacing roughly 90 points over a full 82 for 2/3 of the season before clearly playing hurt. His 5 on 5 production was stellar when compared to other top centers from game 1 to 50.

How is that not 1C?
He started hot and then returned to earth. He was not playing like a 90 point center most of the season. And if his injury happened when his production took a hit then the team is in worse than we think because there is no way they were going to let him play on a core muscle injury for multiple months.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Going to be extremely interesting to see who Yzerman goes with. And whether or not this truly marks the "end" of the rebuild, i.e. the next coach comes in with expectations of making the playoffs next year, or at minimum being on a 2-year leash where year 2 needs to be playoffs.

The fact that it happened so quickly does indicate that this might be an active offseason for Yzerman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He started hot and then returned to earth. He was not playing like a 90 point center most of the season. And if his injury happened when his production took a hit then the team is in worse than we think because there is no way they were going to let him play on a core muscle injury for multiple months.
I’d love to hear your plan for how we are going to bypass being a middle of the pack team altogether and go from awful to amazing with the snap of a finger.

I’d actually love for anyone saying we shouldn’t start to try improving this team to tell me, because I have yet to see it.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Debatable.
But what isn't debatable is the need for a 2C
Honestly, putting a coach in who doesn't play garbage systems will go a loooong way to making a lot of our roster look better.

Larkin was arguably a better player his rookie year than any of the years that followed. The only year he had a coach who wasn't Blashill.

Anyone who doesn't want to blame Blashill needs to look at how many assistants this team chewed through in the last seven years, and we always trotted out the same garbage systems and made the same mistakes.

Getting a decent coach gives us a chance at turning Veleno, Zadina, Rasmussen, and Hronek into much better NHLers and that will make our team a lot better. It's not just about tanking. A new coach might recover some of our "lost" first round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob and TheClap

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
a change is necessary but the team needs to be a lot better.

not a lot of coaches signing up for this gig right now

Reactions: Realgud

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I'm just shocked Blashill didn't fire Houda and Salajko a while ago. He probably could have bought himself time. In a way, good on him for not shifting the blame like that.

Shuffling lawn chairs on the Titanic. How many assistants have we gone through with Blashill to see only the exact same strategies and results on special teams?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm very happy about this news and hope they find great replacements for the whole coaching staff.

I will say that as infuriating as I often found Blashill's decisions and performance, he conducted himself admirably toiling away with a bad roster most of his years here. Add to that everyone knew he was gone as soon as the team started to turn around. That's not an easy situation to keep doing your job.

This offseason officially got more interesting.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
just wish we'd done this sooner and got gallant. and no, this isn't hindsight. half the fanbase was screaming for it.
With the state of the Wings roster when Gallant was available, it's entirely possible he didn't want to come here. The Rangers looked a lot more promising at the time and are further along the rebuild.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
With the state of the Wings roster when Gallant was available, it's entirely possible he didn't want to come here. The Rangers looked a lot more promising at the time and are further along the rebuild.

I got the opposite impression and thought he was waiting on Stevie.

The only reason Gallant chose the Rangers was because Yzerman chose to extend Blashill's contract last year and not because he didn't want to go to Detroit.

I wanted Blashill replaced years ago even before Yzerman took over. There were already signs that the players weren't responding to him and that he was too soft.

Reactions: FMichael

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I’d love to hear your plan for how we are going to bypass being a middle of the pack team altogether and go from awful to amazing with the snap of a finger.

I’d actually love for anyone saying we shouldn’t start to try improving this team to tell me, because I have yet to see it.

There’s a few people on this forum that think the only way to personal riches is to pawn your belongings to play powerball.

You won’t find good answers from them on how to build your business, my dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad